Forum

Author   Comment  
DogMom86

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all, I hope this topic does not seem insensitive to anyone. I know all the posters here have lost beloved furbabies and the grief is intense and unbelievable. My question is, would you consider getting another dog? If so, how long did you wait? I do have other doggies left (5) but I feel a gaping hole without a Chihuahua by my side. Tami is my Japanese Chin who is a Velcro dog, but I also would love a little Chihuahua as my other heart dog. I was considering maybe getting one in June, my 34th birthday. I want to rescue a Chihuahua since there are so many that need homes and most of my dogs have been rescues. 

Edit: I love all my girls, and I am going to wait for a while before I get another Chihuahua. I will rescue for sure when the time comes, but financially and emotionally, I agree with many that it's best for me to wait.  Thanks everyone.

15 years

Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii.

Jan_H

Reply with quote  #2 
I would not consider 5 months too soon. Whenever it feels right for you is the right time. I think it is wonderful you want to rescue another Chihuahua.

Jan
BoxerMomForever

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello, it’s not insensitive. I feel everyone is different. You have to be ready. If you feel good about then get another. I’m having the dilemma and difference of opinion with my hubby. We have no kids and we always had a dog. Just one dog. Last time we waited 3 months and it helped with the grief buy hubby wasn’t ready we got Lily. It took him a year to accept her. Now my Lily has been gone 3 months I’m not ready yet but want another this year. Hubby tells me no more dogs too much heartache. Well that upsets me more. Hopefully he’ll come around. I. So sad and unhappy without one. I know some people get one day after! No way could I do that.

Reply with quote  #4 
There is definitely not a time frame for getting another pup. The longest I went without living with a pup was 2 years. I decided to try fostering instead of adopting another pup because I still wasn't sure I was ready. I lived with that pup for 14 years. She was spoiled rotten and I never taught her basic obedience as witnessed by my neighbors as I was running after her in the yard to get her back inside. So, I signed up to foster. When I arrived to pick her up, there was a mix up and two people were signed up to foster the dog and I showed up after the first person. I walked the shelter for another foster, but saw a blind Bichon. She was only up for adoption. Defeated, I left without a foster. I returned to the shelter 3 more times and she was there, so I filled out the adoption paperwork and was approved. I only had her for 6 years that were filled with many illnesses: glaucoma, IVDD, IMHA, and finally CHF which took her. Two weeks later I decided to try fostering again. I fostered Nechemiah for 2 months before the rescue offered him to me. He was quite a character. I lost him a month ago. I find it easier to share on this forum than tell people he passed. Two days ago, while surfing the net, I saw a senior chihuahua that I thought would like to have in my life. I met the owner and she gave me her pup. Today, I went through a closet I had been avoiding. Stored in the closet were supplies from my last three pups that passed. I decided it was time to part with some items(donate to a shelter) and use some because I can look at those things and not feel guilty that another pup is using their things. So there really is no time frame. When it feels right, you'll just do it.
Finsterhund

Reply with quote  #5 
I am certain that having a dog in my life is needed for me to live at my happiest.

Dogs are an integral part of my identity. Dealing with mental illness and loss has always been easier with a dog in my life and I'm hoping to get my service dog soon.

They would never replace those who have come before, but that's not the point. The point is having the kind of love and compassion that only a dog can give. It will never be like having them come back, it will be a new experience with the same kind of relationship. And caring for them would give me a purpose in existence. Everyone is different, but this is how it feels for me.

Not living with a dog has brought me an overwhelming sense of loneliness. I blame that for my slow recovery.

Echo

Reply with quote  #6 
I believe that there is no time frame that has to elapse before giving your love to another fur baby. I just lost my little Pomeranian in a car accident. We were rear ended by a semi and I don't know why he hit us. Roads and visibility were good. My baby was only 3 yrs old and such a healthy, active little boy. I miss him so terribly that I'd like to get another but my husband is not ready yet so it's me who suffers without a baby boy. I was almost a year when I lost my other Pomeranian before we got Echo. But I lost that one to cancer in his 14th year, Echo was only 3 and healthy. I'm thinking of getting an older of this time as opposed to a puppy. Echo was supposed to be with me for at least 10 more years and he was going to be my last boy before I got too old. I got whiplash and a concussion from the accident so I'm waiting to feel better before getting a new baby, but I want another boy so badly.
littleguy

Reply with quote  #7 
there is no time set for new love as im a firm believer that things happen for a reason and like you I had 3 other babies when littleguy passed and swore I would never get another as I already knew I had to walk that walk 3 more times in my life ,but a few months after littleguy passed I found myself looking for another newf and knew it would be a rescue and almost 11 months to the day bailey girl was sent to me and you can think im crazy but I believe by my littleguy sent her as he knew we needed each other badly as I would have never looked for a girl as I have always had boys and one day sitting in my car about to go into work she came up as available in a rural sounthern ohio dog pound and she was a complete mess when we went there about a 2 and a half hour drive each way and my heart broke and melted at the same time as she was severely neglected  and mistreated and I knew at first sight she was finally home  but it has been a long road with her as at first she feared everything and had multiple issues with health due to neglect  but after 2 years in she is one of the best things that has ever been gifted to my life and I cant imagine her not being in my life and still think littleguy sent her to me ,so don't put a time on love just move on it 

littleguys mom

Reply with quote  #8 
After my dog died suddenly, I said never again will we have another. The pain of losing him was unbearable. After thirteen months I said to my husband, our house is too lonely, he agreed. I looked up and said aloud, Scooter (our furbaby who died) if Mama and Daddy should get another dog, show us a sign. Not kidding, that same day we saw a sign Dachshund for sale. He was 5 months and abused. This was almost four years ago and it was the best thing we could have done.
There is no time frame, everyone is different. I felt guilty at first and adopting an abused dog, even though he was a puppy took a lot of patience but it was worth it. I have to honestly say he saved me. We didn't rescue him, he rescued us. You will know when it's time.
Scooter I still miss you and always will, but thank you for sending us the sign!

Take care,
Jonancy... Scooter's Mama
Eileennellie

Reply with quote  #9 
I waited two years to get another dog. I had planned on waiting until my son was older ( he was almost 1 1/2 when we got Mooncake, our puppy). But we didn't set out looking for a new dog, accidentally clicked the wrong link on Craigslist, and an ad for a 3 month old fawn male Doberman was there. So we called and went to meet him, and of course he's our dog now! He's a "family pet" , where Paris and Dobie were strictly my dogs, so I don't feel I have the same kind of bond with him as I did them, but that's ok. He's a great dog, and I missed having a Doberman around, and our son is great with him and vice versa, so I am glad we got him. No dog will ever be Paris or Dobie, and it would be unfair to expect that. No amount of time is too soon, if you are ready or the right dog just appears, then it's the right time.
CK1991

Reply with quote  #10 
I think that as long as you’ve allowed yourself time to grieve for your loss it might be the right time.
I’m a little concerned when you say that you would adopt this dog “as your other heart dog - along with Tami” when you have 4 other dogs. I’m sure you agree that they should all feel special and unique.
I love that when you get another dog you will be considering a rescue dog!
I’m very sorry for your loss and I wish you all the best in your decision!
CK
DogMom86

Reply with quote  #11 
I feel badly about how I phrased this, I love all my dogs. They are all wonderful and unique. I love them all so much and honestly they really are a huge part of my life. I am going to wait to get a Chihuahua for financial and healing reasons. I really miss having a Chihuahua around the house, but I know in time I will rescue another little girl. So, I apologize if I made it seem like I didn't love my girls, I love them so much and I know that everyone needs time to grieve and adjust.
15 years

Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii.

CK1991

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you for posting again! I’m such an animal lover I always worry. I’m sure your dogs are all very loved.
I think you’re smart to wait and give yourself time to heal. I think you’ll know when the time is right. I’ll say it again: I love that you rescue!! I wish more people did. This forum is an awesome place to post and to know that your grief is understood. I hope you keep posting. Hugs to you!
CK
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.