Kathymendez2020
I lost my cat Tom one month before. The house is filled with people, but somehow still feels empty. I am still suffering.

I never not have a pet. 

I am thinking about getting another cat. But think it is wrong. As if I am replacing my lost cat with another.

It does not feel right to get another cat. 
Kathy mendez
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
No it is not wrong...go on and give another lucky cat a home that it deserves.

You do what you feel is right there is no need to be guilty...Tom will always remain in your heart and there is room for another.

Take care

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 4 0
Ryan800
I've been having these thoughts too lately. I lost my 17 year old cat that I've had since she was a kitten a few weeks ago, and already I'm doing research on rescues (both dog and cat). I understand your guilt, especially since I put mine to sleep when I saw how much pain she was in. The way I've been dealing with it is I have a little shrine with her picture and collar on my dresser, and I set an alarm on my phone to pray every night. I have a necklace with her paw print on it, so she's always close to my heart. My parents have a puppy, and at first I felt guilty for playing with her at all (especially because she and the cat didn't get along). However, we ultimately gave our pets the best possible home we could and loved them with everything we had. Animals die far sooner than any of us would like, and it's so difficult because they don't understand what's happening to them or that the things we do for them are purely out of love and wanting them not to suffer anymore.

This forum has shown me an amazing community of people who love their animals as much as they possibly can. Everyone here has so much compassion and love for our furry friends. Therefore, the way I see it, you can still share that love and compassion by giving another animal a loving home while also mourning your other cat and setting aside time to think about only him. The only advice I'll pass along is something that my family has told me over and over-- unless you feel a strong bond with a cat that looks like Tom, try to get a cat that looks different so that you're not comparing. Animals have vastly different personalities, and while you felt a strong connection with one animal, this one will ultimately feel different. It's best to embrace this new relationship and build the bond from there.

I hope this helps, and best of luck. Thank you for giving your animals (and hopefully a new one soon) a loving home!
Quote 3 0
Tonelok1
It is definitely not wrong. It is right and good to rescue another cat that needs a home. Probably take a little time to get through the initial pain of loss and think of it as a tribute to Tom. You will be doing the right thing from his lesson and example. He will always be in your heart and you will be carrying on his legacy of love. There are many lonely, neglected cats/animals that will be your, and his, loving family member. 

I just lost my third cat, Loki. She is now in my heart and Heaven with Chloe and Charlie. 
Brian
Quote 2 0
Ginatonics69
Ryan-

I think we might be reading the same research.   I got Typsy's ashes yesterday (my lord that was difficult) and I put some in a urn pendednt I bought the week she was diagnosed. Knew i'd be soooo mad at myself if I didn't have something close to my heart as soon as I needed it. You might also want to look at Shutterfly. They made me an amazing frame of pictures by just me uploading on their site, picking a frame and purchasing.    WOW.....I have SOOOOOO many great pics of her, which is funny because I really hate taking pictures or getting mine taken. But she was so funny all the time and I'm sooooo glad to have them now. It comforts me to have this next to her ashes. You might like something like that too. I attached it below for you.
I've also done research on a another kitty and read NOT to get the same looking cat. I would like to get the same breed though because they are 99% dog personality without the NEEDINESS of a dog. lol 
 I am currently packing up my apt, renting it out and going to go travel in sept (if I can) as the pain alone in my studio is just too much. Then thought about getting a kitten on my way home- about 4-6 months time.  I feel like that is the only way I'm going to survive!!

Hugs
Gina 
Gina Richards
Quote 0 0
Tonelok1
Gina, thanks for the shutterfly info. Yours is beautiful. It is important to get another once the initial sadness and intense memories let up. We never forget and it doesn't diminish the love for those we've lost. 
-Brian 
Brian
Quote 0 0
Ryan800
Gina,

Thank you for the link! This is perfect, I’d love something like this! As for the necklace, I’m so glad you feel the same way! I just feel a little better every day knowing she’s with me.

Re: the breed, that’s definitely a good idea. What breed was Typsy? I’m unsure of my cats breed (we got her when I was a little girl), but I’m sure they were similar. I’m glad you’re taking the time to travel too- that can certainly help with the pain, especially since that apartment was all hers.

Kathy- I hope all of this helps you in your decision to get another animal. It seems that all of us just want to give another cat a home. There’s certainly something in it for us too, but the way I see it, there’s no downside in loving another animal and setting time aside every day to love and mourn Tom. Best of luck!
Quote 0 0
Ginatonics69
Ryan-

Typsy was a Russian Siberian. I'd like to get the same as they are VERY dog like & talkative. A Ragdoll is an option too I'm thinking about.

🐾
Gina 
Gina Richards
Quote 0 0
Paddington_Mom1
I would only say to be careful, and try not make a decision based on emotion or impulse if you are going to get a purebred cat.
Here's my story- In March, my 20 yo cat passed away. I had dreamed for a long time about getting a British Shorthair kitten. About 8 weeks after my cat passed away, I bought a a young BSH from a breeder. She seemed like a caring person, and she answered all my questions.
I couldn't go into her cattery because of COVID, but it looked like a LOT of cats were being kept in a small home.
I bought my cat anyway. He was the sweetest, happiest most loving little fellow. Since I'm retired, and stuck at home all day, I devoted many hours to playing with him, and teaching him tricks, and loving on him.
Now, less than three months later, I've had to euthanize him because he had FIP. The vet is certain he had it when he came from the breeders. I cant tell you how heartbroken I've felt. It's just been devastating. 
Research, ask a lot of questions, and find a good breeder. Looking back on it, there were a lot of red flags that I ignored or overlooked.
If you have to wait 6 months or longer to get on a waiting list for the right breeder, and the right kitten, it's worth it to avoid the heartbreak.
I hope that you find joy in your new kitty.
Quote 0 0
Ginatonics69
Oh gosh Paddington, I'm so sorry to hear that. Must be awful for you. I can't imagine! Wow, 20 years. That's amazing. I'm sooo jealous. Ha What did you feed your cat?   Thank you for you advice. I'm a research freak, that's how I got my Typsy cat many years ago and I'm going to go thru the same breeder, as she is still around. She's VERY professional, caring and somehow it brings me great piece of mind to go thru her again for Typsy's sake. I did a phone interview yesterday but I will still wait about 6 months. I'm still crying over Typsy of course and want to heal properly. I want my little shadow back! 
🐾💔
Gina Richards
Quote 1 0