Forum

Author   Comment  
Chel

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forums after having read many of the threads over the past couple of weeks and I apologize in advance for what I know will be a very long post.  You'll see in avatar, my sweet cat Goody.  She came into my life seven years ago when she was just a tiny kitten and has been a huge part of my life through all its ups and downs. 

Shortly after adopting Goody, she began to develop urinary infections when she felt stressed.  Goody has always been a very nervous cat and now things like heavy rainstorms and even small changes were making her develop these infections.  The infections would come and go, clearing up with medication then reappearing during times where she was anxious for one reason or another. 

Several years later, she required surgery to remove a  bladder stone; a very anxious time for her and for me.  Since then she has continued to deal with bladder infections, sometimes very frequently, which are mostly treated with antibiotics.   She has also been taking an herbal supplement and for a time, anti-anxiety medication.  I've been doing my best to keep her as clean as possible so that her skin does not become irritated during the times when she is dribbling urine and dealing with an infection. Her official diagnosis is Feline Urinary Syndrome.  Through all of this, Goody has continued to eat normally and to want to play. 

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that she is dribbling urine more often, in such a way that it is difficult for me to keep up with cleaning her.  Additionally, she has begun to leave wet spots on the floor on the areas where she has fallen asleep.  I've been in contact with the vet to schedule an appointment as soon as possible but unfortunately have run into scheduling conflicts.  I'm worried about the toll that these repeated infections are taking on her.  I worry about protecting her from as many changes and stressors as possible to keep her from developing another infection.  I worry about her comfort and quality of life during the times that she does have an infection. 

Has anyone here had experience with Feline Urinary Syndrome?  I feel as though we are coming to place where a very difficult decision may need to be made and it is just hurting my heart to even think about.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

tikibarb

Reply with quote  #2 
I do not have a cat, but I found this link.  There are some other people who have similar problems.  I also think you should get a second opinion from another vet.  Feline diapers are another option.  They are a bit of a pain, but they work.  http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf231261.tip.html  I hope your situation improves.  Good luck.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.