Forum

Author   Comment  
donsabi

Reply with quote  #1 
Seven years ago I lost my wonderful mini schnauzer Luke.  I had to have him put to sleep and I was devastated.  The pain and depression was the worst I had ever felt.  I tried doing things that were easier without a dog especially travel, but I still missed the companionship of a dog.
With in few days of returning home I found a mini schnauzer pup that I fell in love with.  I named him Mark and we spent 7 seven wonderful years together.  During that period Mark was stricken with a mast cell tumor.  Over a few years Mark had four surgeries and various meds but nothing would stop the MCT's.  I am now facing losing Mark.  I remember from the day I got Mark that I had a sense of getting him too soon.  However getting Mark was a the thing that eased my pain over the loss of Luke.
I am interested in what others thing about this.  Thanks.
Robb_Smith

Reply with quote  #2 
It is really bad to hear your pain. I truly understand the feeling of losing your companion. I have been through the same and totally feel the pain deep in my heart. Well it comes to introduce the a second dog to ur life would be a great idea, but he/she would never replace your partnership with your first pet.
One of the thorniest issues a pet owner may face is introducing another dog or puppy into the family. A dog who has had the house and family to himself may not welcome another dog in his "den," and may resent having to share his family's attention. The initial meeting is important, so you'll need to prepare to improve your chances of success.
Well this blog has tried to explain the procedure that needs to be followed doing  http://essentialpaw.com/blogs/news/53953795-things-to-consider-before-you-bring-home-a-second-dog
I will pray to God for your Mark and his well being. Stay blessed!

donsabi

Reply with quote  #3 
Mark crossed he bridge on Monday August 24, 2015.

Thank you for the post Robb.   
 I was hoping others would join in as I believe it is a worthy subject.

My heart is broken and when I lost my previous beloved schnauzer, Luke, I got Mark soon after his passing.  I found it eased my pain.  Here I am again mourning the loss of another wonderful dog.  Do I get another dog?  A puppy?  A rescue?  I am now 72 but I still get around OK.  Am I too old?  All these questions race through my mind together with all the hurt and pain of the loss of Mark.  The only thing I can say for sure is that I feel devoted to mini schnauzers and want to stay with one of that breed.  My age brings another issue to the table.  I could live to be 90 but just as easily could pass tonight.  Comments please, thanks.
kayeen

Reply with quote  #4 
There is nothing wrong with wanting another dog. A new puppy or dog would make things happier after what happened.

Alma73

Reply with quote  #5 
Life must go on.. It hurts the most when the one who your truely love lefts you alone in this world. I can feel your pain as i have gone through the same pain 2 years ago. My cat has been died due to throat problem. May God give health to Make and may it will be with you always.

Reply with quote  #6 
Our pets would want us to move forward with life and offer love and a home to more pets. I say go for it. If dogs make you happy, then it is the right thing to do. Nobody here with judge anyone for adding a new pet "too soon." We all miss our furbabies.

Stephanie
Mom to Mini Schnauzer, Kipton: Nov. 30, 2010 - Dec. 6, 2017.

DivasMother

Reply with quote  #7 
It’s been a month today that Diva left me. I still hurt and my emotions are all out of whack. But some of my emotions are joy because my new puppy I’m picking up in two weeks. I can’t be alone, I need to have the dog routine. Diva was a blonde Pomchi, quite tall, weighing in at 17.5lbs fully grown. My new puppy her name is Coco, she’s got a rotty colouring Black and Tan coloured. Also a chihuahua mix but with Yorkshire terrier, called a Chorkie. Her final weight will be 8lbs. I’m not replacing Diva because that could never happen. But I need to have that dog routine. I just hate being by myself. Dogs give us unconditional love and we become used to their presence and when ey are no longer there it really feels like emptiness.

Hugs 🤗

🐾❤️🐾 Diva Born Aug 24th 2007 - R.I.P.  Feb 28th 2018/1:25pm

Flowerbed

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi
I agree getting another doggy can ease the pain
My story with my beautiful Benji who passed 13 years ago .. he died of leaukemia .. it was all very quick really he was 12 which is a great age for a cavalier King Charles but left us all reeling .. he was our first dog ... our youngest son was a teen at the time and became depressed because of other traumas we had also experienced in the family so losing Benji was another pain to endure ... my new neighbour had just lost her Bichon also and I was crying in the garden acing Benji and she said how lovely Bichons are .. I hug vprotested we weren’t ready for another dog but .... I made enquires with the kennel club ( England U.K. ) and found a registered breeder and along cane trouble 🤣
We had not had a pup for 12 years and i looked at this little bundle of energy and thought .. oh no lol .... but I tell you with my hand firmly on my heart Pebbles did not replace Benji but came into our family as another much loved and adored furbaby .. it took the edge off to pet her and attend to her needs and the house was full again you know ... I don’t know if we would have got a dog as quickly if our son had not been as depressed but please let me tell you it was the best thing we personally as a family could have done
.... people protest and say “ oh no I would never ever do that ..” which is totally understandable but life is for living and loving and this is what Pebbles has done for us ...
unfortunately now she is in her stages of illness that we are now keeping her comfortable untill we have to decide when enough is enough ... but we will edge towards giving another doggy a place in our loving home .. even if it is 3 weeks after etc ...it is devastating to know she prob won’t see this Christmas ... we are soooo privileged to have her in our life I can’t even put into words how she really touched our lives after Benji went to Rainbow Bridge ... but she took the edge off our grief for our darling boy and we laughed and laughed at her antics when she came home with us ... and yawned from tiredness but wow .. how sweet and beautiful our world became again 🌸💕🐶
DivasMother

Reply with quote  #9 
Unfortunately, I was not able to care for that new puppy and now it lives with my parents and their two dogs permanently. But I do visit and I’m able to snuggle their dogs when I go over. I’ve been alone now for about eleven months and I’m doing okay. I have a routine and I’m doing pretty well, Diva makes her presence known to me periodically. For some people getting another dog right away works for them and for some of us getting a new dog right away is not the best choice. You also shouldn’t listen to other people if you are not fully ready to welcome or accept another animal so soon after one dies. Everyone’s pain will be different and how one person copes won’t be the same for another.

Will I get another dog no not at this moment in time. Having some independents has been good for me and being alone without a dog has also been good for me. If and when I decide to get a dog will be on my own terms. Also if and when the time comes it definitely won’t be a puppy that is for sure.

I’m happy for everyone who have been able to open their hearts up fully after their pet has passed but I was not able to right away and I’m still just not ready to have another pet plus I can’t afford it either so there’s is that as well..

🐾❤️🐾 Diva Born Aug 24th 2007 - R.I.P.  Feb 28th 2018/1:25pm

Flowerbed

Reply with quote  #10 
I’m not judging anybody ... I did say ...”.please let me tell you it was the best thing we personally as a family could have done “
I was not saying it’s the thing to do ....
DogNana

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
Mark crossed he bridge on Monday August 24, 2015.

Thank you for the post Robb.   
 I was hoping others would join in as I believe it is a worthy subject.

My heart is broken and when I lost my previous beloved schnauzer, Luke, I got Mark soon after his passing.  I found it eased my pain.  Here I am again mourning the loss of another wonderful dog.  Do I get another dog?  A puppy?  A rescue?  I am now 72 but I still get around OK.  Am I too old?  All these questions race through my mind together with all the hurt and pain of the loss of Mark.  The only thing I can say for sure is that I feel devoted to mini schnauzers and want to stay with one of that breed.  My age brings another issue to the table.  I could live to be 90 but just as easily could pass tonight.  Comments please, thanks.

I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss of Mark. I know how sad you feel, it’s so hard. 💔

Deciding when to get another dog is a personal decision. You have to do what’s right for you and your needs.
Being 65 myself I understand how age can factor in. Maybe you could rescue a senior dog. There are so many of them in the shelters that no one wants because of their age. It’s just something to consider.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.