Forum

Author   Comment  
jcrubaugh

Reply with quote  #1 
I have two faithful companions of 16 years.  They both have been declining for several months now.  My Quig has escaped with his life two times from an attack from another dog in our household.  I have thought that I was going to lose him two times now, however he has pulled through.

Pippin, my Bichon, suddenly took a turn for the worse when we got back from My Mother In Laws Bi-Pass surgery.  He had bloody diarea, and his little bottom just thumped on the ground like he did not want to walk.  I took him to the vet and they told me that the food I was giving him was too rich (they had givine him a canine feline mix because he was not eating when we got back from MIL's surgery).  Well, then he stopped eating all together.  I tried to go back to the rich food, and that worked for about a day, then I went to chicken, and that worked for a day, and now I am feeding him scrambled eggs.  He ate last night, but this morning he ate about 1/2 of an egg.  I have been crying on and off for the last two days, because it seems pretty clear what direction we are going in.  I have been harassed by family members telling me that "it was time" for both of them for a year now.  This is coming from people who have put dogs down for much less.  My vet has advised me that if they are eating, then they are not suffering, so that has been my comeback each time.  "Just because a dog is limping doesn't mean he needs to be put down!" I would respond. "I'll put them down when they are suffering and my vet says that is when they stop eating!"  Well, it looks like that time has come for my sweet Pippin!  I so hope I am wrong, I so hope I come home tonight and scramble him that egg, and he just gobbles it up.  I was wrong about Quigley when he stopped eating.  Maybe Pippin's teeth just hurt.  Oh!!  I pray sometimes that he just die peacefully in his sleep.  I just can't bring myself to play God in this one.  I can't feel what he is feeling, and he can't tell me.  These dogs have been with me for so long, and have been more faithful and kind to me than some of my friends.  I just need a hug.
nalasmom

Reply with quote  #2 
I am sorry you have been so stressed by others.  They couldn't possibly know what you are feeling and what you know about your babies.  Trust yourself.

I faced a similar decision on Feb 19 with my dog.  She had slowly stopped eating.  She went from a 136 pound tough girl when first diagnosed with cancer 3 years earlier to somewhere near 50 lbs when we said good-bye.  The last 3 months were the toughest.  I cooked special meals, made homemade treats to encourage eating and tried steroids, but she would regurgitate it.  At the end we thought she stopped eating because of her teeth.  When I took her to the vet for relief, the vet told me it was time. We just couldn't bare the thought that she was starving to death.  I wasn't ready that day.  But I had to act for her.  I have been heartsick since, but in the end I had to help her. 

Hang in there.  We know your pain and are out here thinking of you.
jan

Reply with quote  #3 
Giving you a hug, I no what you are going through, we had our retriever Winston put to sleep last june he was 13, we are still lost without him, but he also stopped eating, I cooked all his favourite foods for him but he just sniffed it and turned away, sometimes he,d eat some then be sick after, this went on for quiet a few days, you seem to find the strength and no when the time is right, we couldnt see him suffer, we love him so much, Take care
        JAN

Reply with quote  #4 

Thanks so much for your comforting words.  It has been such a rollercoaster the last few months.  One week I feel one dog is going, and the next it is the other.  I have not had my family members support in keeping my babies going.  They see them limping and think they are suffering.  I see elderly dogs that need metacam.  My vet has told me that unless they stop eating, they are not suffering.  Both dogs have teased me on this one by stopping eating for a period of time.  Last night as a deperate resort, I made some doggie meatloaf.  Pippin ate every bit that I put on his plate.  I know that everyone at work thinks I am the crazy dog lady as I come in crying at least once a month.  Maybe I have a few more weeks or even months with my Pippin and Quigley.  Let's hope so...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.