Mbanyard
As you know, we had our 16 yr old cat euthanized on May 3rd, after being assured we were doing the right and humaine thing for him.

I have cried almost constantly since the day before his appointment...I just miss him so very much. I am having difficulty most days eating anything and am not sleeping very much. ( If I admit it out loud, I have reverted to the clinical depression I have had most of my life, and which has always been held at bay by my feline " therapy cat" babies).

I go through my days second guessing if I did the right thing, if it truly was more humaine than holding him close for just that bit more. I just feel an empty hole in my soul where he was and I don't think my heart will ever heal from his loss.

All this is just made that much more horrific by the trauma we endured at the hands of a cold, uncompassionate vet " on duty" who oversaw Banjo's euthanasia.   

This man was so, SO awful...sarcastic...nasty that he stretched the appointment into a 90 minute hell. I, obviously, complained to the clinic and, not getting anywhere with them I filed a formal complaint with the Ontario College if Veterinarian's.

Well...I got, on the same day, a venemous letter from the clinic manager and a sympathy card. The letter is  filled with vitriol and lies....claiming my cat was healthy and I had just refused all the clinical testing...and that THIS was the reason the vet was nasty. Oh...and that I was a rude, nasty person saying all manner of awful.rhings to him - hard to do when I arrived at the clinic sobbing uncontrollably and did not stop sobbing....indeed still have not stopped nearly a month later.

Having read these nasty words, nomatter how untrue, has put me into an even worse downward spiral. They accussed me of murdering my beloved cat and best friend after having told me I was doing the right thing, and the thing that showed my love for him.

And I did love him, do love him, so much that it hurts. I even contemplated, in a bad moment, joining him. I cannot leave my blind rescue dog though...he needs me to continue to provide a good life fir him after he list his sight being shot in Lebanon.

When does  it begin to hurt less? When do you feel like you did the right thing, rather tha  second guessing?

I wish he  were here to cuddle my tears away.
Quote 0 0
Yaoyao
Hi I am so sorry for your loss and that you have go through the whole situation with the clinic! I know it's easier said than done, but try not to let them make you feel more guilty! It is NOT your fault, you trusted them because they are the professionals, they don't deserve to be in the business if they can't have sympathy towards animals. But none of this is your fault, remember that. 
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling depressed now, is it possible to seek therapy now? 
I wish you the best and I hope time will heal.
Take care of yourself and your dog my friend! 
Quote 0 0
Peach
I'm appalled and flabbergasted at the treatment you received by the veterinarian you trusted. I think that what you experienced is getting into the way of your grieving process. I hope you get somewhere with the complain you filed with the Ontario College of Veterinarians.

None of us who care for our pets would do what they are accusing you of - and it is pretty obvious reading your post that you loved your cat very much. Please know that you did the right thing by not letting your cat suffer. That is the biggest act of selflessness one can possibly do!

It is easier said than done of course, but know that the vet is lying to you, and probably because you were one of the few (if not the only one) to bring their absolute unprofessionalism to light.

I'm glad you have a dog that you love very much too that is giving you a reason... may the two of you take care of each other and I really hope you will be able to process your grief despite everything else that has happened.
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
Mbanyard
Thank you Peach.

To add insult to injury, I received a VERY FAKE sympathy card from the veterinary clinic the very next day.

It is appalling really.

_____

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.
Quote 0 0