WeeMom
As some of you know, I lost my little boy, Wee, on Sept. 24th.  We were together for almost 20 years!  The grief is still overwhelming at times, but with the help of family and the support and kindness I've received from other grieving pet parents at this site, I've managed to survive my worst nightmare.
Today I received an invitation from the Animal Hospital where I took my little boy to be released from his pain.  It seems they have a memorial service for all the pets who passed away that particular year.  The invite also included an ornament to be decorated by the pet's owner, and hung on the tree at the hospital.
I had already planned on creating an ornament, in his honor, for our own family tree this year.
I'm so conflicted.  The day my Wee died was the worst day of my life.  It was horrific and I hate the thought of being back in that place, again.  Especially seeing the doctor who performed the euthanasia.  
I don't know what to do.  I don't want to pass up an opportunity to honor and memorialize my little boy.  It's the least I can do for him now.  
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated......

Mary (Wee's Mom)
Quote 0 0
nicokudo
It's so easy to understand why you wouldn't want to go back there.  I read that statistically more that 70 percent of people never return to the place where their beloved pet was euthanized.  I have friends who can't go back.But I ask you to look at it from a slightly different perspective.  I don't know the exact circumstances of your baby's last moments, but that vet who did this for you was able to free your baby from a body that wasn't working anymore.  He/she was able to give your baby a gift that you could not give to your Weewee.  You gave your little one a gift by letting go.  It is a personal choice whether to do this or not.  I personally would try.

When I went back to the vet that euthanized my precious Kudo, I cried each time I went.  I have an amazingly compassionate, knowledgeable vet.  I asked him to help my baby on his way to his new life.  My second boy Nico died at the emergency vet clinic at 5 am so I couldn't go to my regular vet.    These are just my personal feelings, you need to do what is right for you.  Your grief is still so new.  

If you do chose to do it, you will know that the ornament will hang with those who also truly loved their babies and you might find some comfort in that.  If you do do it, you might consider taking a photo of your ornament handing on the tree.

Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
jasminesmom
WeeMom,

What a loving, compassionate Vet you have! To bring together all those who have lost a beloved furbaby. To honor them! To bring you together in a special place where all there understand the grief, the sorrow you are feeling. You will be able to express this without fear of humiliation from others who do not know better. I can also understand how you would not want to go back.
But you do what your heart tells you to do.
Let us know.

Hugs,

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Jasmine was loved
Jasmine was given ProIn
Jasmine is now gone
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
WeeMom
Thank you to those who replied to my posting regarding attending a memorial for my little boy.  I also wanted to post an update:
I did listen to my heart and knew that I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to honor and memorialize my Wee, no matter how difficult it may prove to be.  
As it turned out, it was a very nice experience.  My husband, daughter and I decorated the ornament together and brought it to the animal hospital.  As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by the vet who euthanized my little boy.  I wasn't sure if he remembered me, so we walked past him and decided on a nice spot to hang our ornament.  We chose a special spot in the middle of the tree.   I noticed the vet staring at Wee's picture, probably trying to remember him.  He then turned to me and asked how I was doing.  I said I was doing better but wasn't ready to get another pet, as he had advised me to do a week after losing my cat.  We spoke for a few minutes as it slowly began to snow.  I realized he wasn't callous or cold, but a kind, compassionate man with an, oftentimes, difficult job.   We even took a picture of him and my daughter in front of the tree.
So, somehow, with the snow falling and Wee's handsome face looking down at me from the top of that tree, I sensed his approval.  And for the first time in almost three months , I felt at peace.  At least, for the time being.   

-Mary (Wee's Mom)

Quote 0 0
jasminesmom
Mary,

Thank you for sharing.

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Jasmine was loved
Jasmine was given ProIn
Jasmine is now gone
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0