creole54
It's been one month yesterday since I had to have my precious baby, Daisy, put to sleep. She was an 11 year old english bulldog that I'd had since she was 6 weeks old.  My first and only ever dog.

I'm amazed at the level of support I've received from friends during this grieving process.  I know so many of you have commented that you've not received support or understanding, and how difficult that is.  So I don't mean to make you feel worse by sharing my experience.

My dear friend texted or called me every single day for 2 weeks to let me know she was there for me.
My next door neighbor sent sympathy flowers (daisies, of course)
I've received 4 condolence cards in the mail
My boss has dropped by to check on me and give me a hug twice (I work from home)
One of my little students called to tell me she would be praying for Daisy.<3
Another friend stopped by with a little doggie/angel statue with her name on it
My son-in-law's mother reached out to me because she had lost her 14 year old cat shortly before, and we cried together and shared our grief.

Interestingly enough, I did NOT receive much support from my family (kids, siblings, etc.)  Go figure.

I know that this would have been so much worse without these sweet people to support me and validate the loss I was feeling.  I'd never had a dog before.  I had no idea how much it hurt to lose a beloved furbaby.  So this is what I have learned:  Now I know how it feels, I'll know better how to help someone else in the future when they are experiencing the same kind of loss.  I'll know to call, I'll know to drop by, I'll know to acknowledge their pain and cry with them.  I didn't know before.  So I guess I can thank my Daisy for molding my heart into the shape of a pawprint, so that I could learn how to be a more loving and compassionate human being.

Teri Milbourn
Quote 1 0
Julls
creole54 wrote:
It's been one month yesterday since I had to have my precious baby, Daisy, put to sleep. She was an 11 year old english bulldog that I'd had since she was 6 weeks old.  My first and only ever dog.

I'm amazed at the level of support I've received from friends during this grieving process.  I know so many of you have commented that you've not received support or understanding, and how difficult that is.  So I don't mean to make you feel worse by sharing my experience.

My dear friend texted or called me every single day for 2 weeks to let me know she was there for me.
My next door neighbor sent sympathy flowers (daisies, of course)
I've received 4 condolence cards in the mail
My boss has dropped by to check on me and give me a hug twice (I work from home)
One of my little students called to tell me she would be praying for Daisy.<3
Another friend stopped by with a little doggie/angel statue with her name on it
My son-in-law's mother reached out to me because she had lost her 14 year old cat shortly before, and we cried together and shared our grief.

Interestingly enough, I did NOT receive much support from my family (kids, siblings, etc.)  Go figure.

I know that this would have been so much worse without these sweet people to support me and validate the loss I was feeling.  I'd never had a dog before.  I had no idea how much it hurt to lose a beloved furbaby.  So this is what I have learned:  Now I know how it feels, I'll know better how to help someone else in the future when they are experiencing the same kind of loss.  I'll know to call, I'll know to drop by, I'll know to acknowledge their pain and cry with them.  I didn't know before.  So I guess I can thank my Daisy for molding my heart into the shape of a pawprint, so that I could learn how to be a more loving and compassionate human being.

Quote 0 0
CK1991
Thank you for sharing your story! I love what you said at the end:

“So I guess I can thank my Daisy for molding my heart into the shape of a pawprint, so that I could learn how to be a more loving and compassionate human being.”

They really do mould our hearts and we are better and more compassionate people when they leave.
I’m so sorry for your loss! Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
I am so glad your friends have been there for you. The loss of a companion is so overwhelming and having your network is incredible thing. It's 5 weeks for me. I'm in the same limbo, it's feels like yesterday and entenity at the same time. It doesn't make sense that we feel so much pain when we know we would always go through this. We would never trade having to go through this and not having them in our lives. You have been able to help another now as well in your time of grief. We learn so much from our companions, we have been so lucky to have them in our lives
Quote 0 0
Indi_love19
Teri Very lovely and beautiful. So true. Thank you for sharing.
meghan kenney
Quote 0 0
Dai
I'm sorry for your loss Teri, I have also been surrounded by very understanding people and it feel so good to know they're there for me and thinking about me during this time. World of a difference when your boss checks up on you and understands your loss while you grieve at work.

Quote 0 0