tlcone
Last Thursday my 14 year old Jack Russell terrier was fine when I left for work. When we came home she was limping and dragging her left leg behind her. I rushed her to the vet and they said she had a neurological injury and asked me if she'd been hit by a car. I told them that was impossible. She'd been in the house all day. They put her on prednisone and sent us home. Later that evening she was acting frantic, panting and pacing around on three legs. I took her to the emergency vet. They said the same thing and put her on morphine until we got blood test results back the next day. The blood test results came back showing that she was dehydrated but all else looked fine. The vet said if she didn't get better I should put her to sleep. I stayed with her all morning and tried to keep her comfortable. A few hours went by and she got up to drink some water. On her way back from the water bowl her right rear leg collapsed and she started dragging her body with her front legs only. She was howling in pain and suddenly bruising or a rash of some sort spread across her tummy. I called the vet back and they said it was time to put her to sleep. I did but I am in terrible pain over it. I know she was older and that she couldn't live forever but why did this happen? It doesn't make sense!

I am having a really hard time coping with her being gone.  Our house doesn't feel like home anymore and I feel a terrible ache and emptiness in my heart. 

Thanks for listening.
Quote 0 0
kittywitty
I am so sorry for your loss.  We try our best to give our pets the best but sometimes there just isn't much we can do.  Just remember that your baby loved you unconditionally and was lucky to have you as a parent.  Your baby is now at the rainbow bridge and no longer suffering.  It will take time to heal from this loss but you can still keep the memories alive.  I just lost my kitty and I made a memorial for her on this site.  It helps to go on it every day and tell her I miss her so much.  This site will help you cope as there are many nice people who have also gone through this.  You are not alone and we are here to support you.

Angela - "kittywitty"

Please visit my Pumpkin Patch's memorial site at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/PUMPK021/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
shadoe18

That is sad, I have a Jack Russell too, he Hates motorcycles! I am so sorry for your loss, Jacks being such a character in the home I understand the void you feel. The only comfort I can offer is know she had a long happy life with you.

Quote 0 0
Gabby
I'm so sorry for your loss,and a loss that seems has left you with so many questions,which is a very hard loss to swallow.When we have answers,we at least have the time to move forward and make progress with our pain and grief.It seems to me that your Vet has'nt really given you a clear diagnosis?
Nothing seems to make sense to me,about your Doggy being hit by a car,being dehydrated ?? And she seems to have had such clear symptoms.
My Mother once lost a Kitty like this,but it was because she had a Blood clot in the main artery that runs from the groin into both back legs,its kind of a "Y" shape (hard to explain)  but she became paralysed from her waist down,sounds like the same as your little Doggy.But I would try to speak to your vet again when you feel able.Its very hard to come to terms with loss,and even harder when we dont have answers.
I wish you peace and healing in time.
Love and Light
and
Fairy Kisses for your precious Baby xxxxxx
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Dear tlcone,

I'm so sorry to hear about your unexpected and devastating loss.  My heart goes out to you as you search for the answers to so many questions.

My first thought was along the lines of what Gabby wrote.  I'm sure your vet can answer your questions so that you will at least have the technical answers.  As for the more abstract questions, I'm not sure we ever find the answers in ths life, but we do learn how to accept what has happened, and to move forward the way our furs always did while they were with us.  For them, each day was a brand new day, something to get excited abut and to look forward to.  We can bring ourselves to that point too in time.  I hope you will come back and tell us all about your darling girl ~ and share some pictures with us!

Your Girl will always live in spirit and in your heart of hearts, never more than a whisper from your side.  She is a part of you forever, and as the bruising of your heart and soul begins to heal, you will feel her there again.

You and your angel are in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
NTB
Tlcone,

So sorry to hear about your loss.  We are at the same point with both of us suffering a devastating sudden loss a week ago.  The tears keep coming, the house feels empty, certain times of the day bring back vivid memories.  Someone on this site gave me advice to not focus on that last day but on all the beautiful time that was shared.  Last night I was able to look a lot of pictures of Domino.  There were so many beautiful and fun time captured and he brought so much joy and happiness into our home.  Your Jack Russel and my Domino are now together in a better place looking down on us and patting themselves on their backs saying how much fun they had and what great owners they were blessed with.  Take care. 
Quote 0 0
misscandy77

I know how you feel.  I lost my baby suddenly in December and she was only 6 years old.  She was fine, she had just been to the vet days earlier.  Suddenly, she was acting weird, pacing, staring...I called on a Saturday to the vet asking about it.  They didn't seem concerned, maybe we all thought it was issues she was having orthopedically?  She had luxating patellas and had had issues with pain and was on pain pills.  I never thought in a million years something life threatening was happening.  Sunday morning I called to bring her in, still not panicking but then I got the leash and she started to come to me and fell over.  OMG, the tears streamed down my face then and there.  They said she was critical when I arrived.  Blood tests and Xrays and no answer.  They too said that she was dehydrated.  She got fluids and oxygen.  I wondered how that was treating the problem, it was just alleviating symptoms.  I was there waiting for hours then they said she was stable.  I went home and an hour later they said it wasn't good.  They were trying CPR when I got there.  She didn't make it.  I still don't know why.  I was too distraught to ask about a necropsy.  She said her heart looked slightly larger than the last XRay she had in September, but that was it.  Weeks later I wrote asking for a report, answers from the other vet, anything.  He said it could have been an aneurysm, embolism, sudden heart failure...some things just don't show up on the routine tests.  I only could make myself feel less guilty by thinking that it was something that couldn't have been fixed, that if it didn't happen then, it was going to happen anyway.  Sometimes things just happen and we don't know why.  I am still angry that Chloe only got 6 years, but no matter how long you have it is never enough.  You couldn't have known.  There can always be something going on inside that doesn't show up, and animals don't always show their pain until it's too late.  I know the frustration.  I still struggle over 3 months later.  I want to know why, but there just isn't an answer.

Quote 0 0