Pita
My cousin, who has been having respiratory problems, is getting rid of some of her....menagerie (they've always had a ton of pets; in fact, she's who I got Pita from....they thought they had "too many" at that time, but eventually replaced them all and then some).  They are giving away a guinea pig, a dwarf hamster, a black gerbil, and....a budgie.  Apparently a very sweet one, named Plucky, about a year old.  I already have my one budgie, Morrie.  My mom really seems to think I should consider it and take her, but I just don't know if I'm ready!  Obviously she won't "replace" Pita, but I just don't know.  I don't want to not be able to love her, since it's only been a couple of weeks.  I know she's a different type of bird (Pita was a cockatiel), but I don't know if Morrie would react well, either.....he's been loving on his mirror much more since Pita has been gone.

I feel a little pushed; my sister mentioned it to me last night, too.

What do you all think of this?
Quote 0 0
Ponchosmommie
Since it's your cousin, why not bring Plucky home and give it a try!?  I think you will be pleasantly surprised. We never "replace" our previous babies...we just have so much love in our hearts that we need to share it with another baby...whatever it might be! We also NEED that special love that only a pet can give us. Pita will always be in your heart...pet lovers just have huge hearts where many can fit. I can't imagine a life without them. Good luck!
Quote 0 0
Lisasjf
I'm just full of expressions today. But after my previous post another one comes to mind...... When God closes one window he always opens another one. I'd say go for it! The people on this site led me too the prospect of loving a new baby. I to am not completely healed after my loss. But I'll be taking in a new one knowing this one's gonna help me to heal.  You have to have a big heart when you love an animal. Theirs always room for another.
Quote 0 0
TriciaK
For me personally, I found it helped to get another pet when I lost one, never to replace of course but simply to keep me focused on caring for another etc....I found the love soon grew anyway, but in a different way to the pet I lost.

It's like losing a human, of course we can never replace them, but people do remarry and make new friends and life goes on.  You'll never forget your lost pet, but our hearts are big enough to welcome and love another so I'd say go for it:)

Quote 0 0
tikibarb
What is the worst that can happen?  Your cousin has to re-home her?  I think your heart will have loads of room and maybe this baby will help your healing.  I know your heart breaks for Pita.  Plucky will not likely change that but she may bring joy to your life and plug that hole just a little.  I think you should give it a try!  Good luck, whatever you decide...
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
What is the worst that can happen?  Your cousin has to re-home her?  I think your heart will have loads of room and maybe this baby will help your healing.  I know your heart breaks for Pita.  Plucky will not likely change that but she may bring joy to your life and plug that hole just a little.  I think you should give it a try!  Good luck, whatever you decide...
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0