Anguswasthebest
On Saturday night our 7 year old olde English bulldoge pit mix died. Last vet check up he was totally healthy. We were out back and he was doing his thing when I called him to come in he made it to the bottom of the porch stairs did a weird twitch and fell over. Tried to get back up and layed down on his side where I layed and pet him for his last few breaths. He was the most gentle loving sweet kind boy there could be. Our house is empty without him and I keep thinking he is here. The kids and my wife are not handling it well. He was just pure good. Has anyone else experienced a sudden death of a seemingly healthy dog like this. It's so tough. We need him in our house. Our daily routines without him make no sense. Today was the first day I had to walk the kids to school without him. We need a dog but there is no way we can replace him. We are defeated it seems. Im new here and would appreciate any feedback on how to get through this. We just loved him so much.
Quote 0 0
PipersMother
Anguswasthebest wrote:
On Saturday night our 7 year old olde English bulldoge pit mix died. Last vet check up he was totally healthy. We were out back and he was doing his thing when I called him to come in he made it to the bottom of the porch stairs did a weird twitch and fell over. Tried to get back up and layed down on his side where I layed and pet him for his last few breaths. He was the most gentle loving sweet kind boy there could be. Our house is empty without him and I keep thinking he is here. The kids and my wife are not handling it well. He was just pure good. Has anyone else experienced a sudden death of a seemingly healthy dog like this. It's so tough. We need him in our house. Our daily routines without him make no sense. Today was the first day I had to walk the kids to school without him. We need a dog but there is no way we can replace him. We are defeated it seems. Im new here and would appreciate any feedback on how to get through this. We just loved him so much.

Hi Angus dad,  I am so very sorry for your sudden loss. Angus was a beautiful boy.  I have not experienced an unexpected death in that way, but I wanted to express my condolences for you and your family.  I imagine that it is quite tragic and that you feel helpless and lost.  

Losing a pet is indeed a profound loss.  Having lost 3 kitties in my life - 1 of them just yesterday - I know that it takes time and patience to get through grief.  My dad is a human-grief counselor and his advice was to feel your feelings, talk about them wherever you can (such as this forum), talk out loud to your pet (he will hear you from Heaven), build memorials, and give yourself time and space to mourn.  If you try to rush through grief like a task with a due date, it won't work.  You won't heal. 

You might want to consider having your family members join you here in the forum so they too can express what they are feeling.  Talk about it as a family, hurt and grieve as a family.  It might help you all heal in a healthy way so that you can go forward.  I hope this helps you.  Other people here will have very good advice and words of wisdom too, so keep checking back.  Blessings to you and your family.

Quote 0 0
jimmy17
I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of Angus - and what a lovely photo of him with the baby.    How horrible for you to lose him in that way, I really can`t imagine how traumatic that must have been for you, especially as he was only young and apparently healthy too, and yes, it will feel empty without him right now.   All I can say is it takes a lot of time coming to terms with what has happened, and I found out that it really is more like learning to live with the loss, as I don`t think you ever get over losing them.   The best thing for me when I lost my little dog was finding this forum, and being able to "talk" to others who were all going through the same thing - it helped so much in knowing that how I felt was normal, and I also started writing a journal, writing down every little memory, all the funny things that Jim used to do from way back when we first adopted him, and this helped enormously too.     One day, you will be able to look back and remember all the happy times you and your family shared with Angus - but for now, you are grieving your friend...

Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Ginger4256
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss of Angus. He is beautiful. I lost my Boo unexpectedly May 3 as well and still cry everyday. This forum really does help when nobody else understands. We all do here. Some days will seem better than others but you will always grieve your Angus. I am finding that I will never get over Boo's death but I'll have to get used to not having him here. I still talk to him. I hope you can find comfort here where we all understand
❤️😢
Boo' s mommy
Quote 0 0
Iwalt22
I lost my Apollo on May 7th in much the same way. He was at his open pen kennel. I had pictures of him playing, eating snacks and having a good time. At no point did he seem like anything other than a happy healthy boy. He had seen the vet just 6 months before for a teeth cleaning.

He collapsed when I showed up to get him. He died at the vet that morning. He was only 9.

You think you are prepared to lose them when they get old. You aren't ready to lose them when they are young, especially when they show no signs of poor health. They become a part in of your life and your routine.

The first week or two is hardest as you adjust to not having them around. You think they are in the next room, at the foot of the bed, just behind you as you walk around.

This forum is a great place to share your stores with others with the same experiences. You are not alone.

I'm not there yet but I know I'll get to a place of peace with Apollo.

Try to remember the good times and all they love and joy your pup brought into your life. Only his end was sad. A life full of joy.

I have found comfort in the philosophy of Stoicism. If you Google " Death and Stoicism" you should read the first 2 articles that come up. They have helped me a lot.
Quote 0 0
bluegreen_eyes
I am sorry for your sudden lost. It may be hard but you will get better soon.
bluegreen_eyes
Quote 0 0
Sil
Anguswasthebest,  I am truly sorry for your loss.  In this forum, you will find comfort in knowing that - we all understand what you and your family are experiencing right now.  Our pets give us so much love, that when something happens and they're gone, we truly grieve for them.  I wiping tears, because, I feel your pain.  Our pets become part of our family.  Sometimes, the only member of the family who will jump up and down the minute he sees you.  Talk to Angus, talk to your family about Angus, write to Angus, express your grief, but, also, remember all those wonderful years this pup was with you.
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777

Dear Angus was the best

It is very hard to take when
anyone that we love whether
Pet or human dies suddenly.

We become shell shocked!
And,getting over such a 
sudden death is just not
going to be easy.

So,it is a matter of taking
one day at a time and
sharing your grief and
pain with those of us
whom have been through
what you are going through
now.

Quote 0 0
exit30
So, so sorry for you loss, I know what you are going through. Two years ago I was at work when I got a frantic phone call from my partner, she said that Tuffy, one of our Tabbies, collapsed on the kitchen floor, he was only 5 yrs. old. I told her to take him to the ER vet, I jumped in the car and broke numerous driving laws to get there in time. Upon arriving, they were already working on him, and about 5 mins. later the vet came in the exam room to inform us that Tuffy didn't make it. 

I can only describe the feeling as having my soul ripped out, the pain, the heart wrenching sadness, we were in complete shock. I just lost one of my 2 best friends and my world came to an abrupt end. Days of crying, and drinking to numb the pain. To this day, I can lose it in a second when something very specific to Tuffy reminds me of him, but not a single day goes by that I don't think of him. 

We are deeply saddened when they grow old and we have to have them euthanized, but a sudden death at a young age is just beyond horrible. Hang in there, I wish I had some words of wisdom to ease the pain and suffering, but I don't. Time may be a healer, but the pain never completely goes away. Tuffy is my avatar.
Quote 0 0
Snowfire
Hi. I'm pretty new here and received help and caring from many here. Hi Ginger glad to see you here too. You've helped me so much. I posted picture recently "the gang" showing all four gone and now together in their urns.
So very sorry on your baby and know how hard it hurts. Me too.
I would get another pet and no doesn't take his place but will help if you are ready. You have much love to give. My best to you and your family. We all are on same page same book.
Quote 0 0
Anguswasthebest
We put pictures up of Angus all over the house today. Every room and place he would usually be. It's helping. He loved to lay at the far side of the couch and suck his blanket. We got a 12 picture frame and hung it right above his spot on the couch. We are filling the house with memories of his perfect love. There are still tears everyday but he deserves them. And thank you all so much for the kind words. Truly appreciated . Also been listening to alot of pearl jam. My favorite band. Beside the point COME BACK is very soothing and give it a listen guys . It helps. Or also LIGHT YEARS. Angus loved sitting and listening to tunes with me too. Never appreciated these songs for what they.were
Quote 0 0