BrownieT

Our 9 year old dog Mack was diagnosed with lymphoma after we noticed his lymph nodes swelling a few months ago. They tried two rounds of strong antibiotics first, thinking it was an infection, but the lymph nodes remained and got larger. Two weeks ago they took tests to confirm what they had thought, it was lymphoma. They put him on a strong dose of prednisone twice a day. We thought we would have a few months left with him, however the side effects from the prednisone made him miserable. Restless and unable to sleep at night. Heavy panting. Very thirsty and frequent urination. We made the decision to wean him off the steroids 5 days ago so he wouldn’t be plagued with these symptoms the last part of his life. Yesterday, his breathing/panting picked up and seemed to distress him so we called the vet and made the decision to put him down. We got to hold him and comfort him as it happened so he went peacefully. But the grief is so strong. This was my first pet that I’ve had this long. I keep second guessing myself if we did it too soon. There were still times when he would be good and playful..then I tell myself he couldn’t have been feeling good. I feel like we did the right thing but the second guessing myself if hard. Anyone else have a similar story with lymphoma? 

Thank you. 

Quote 0 0
ShadowDad
Brownie, remember that the prednisone is not a cure.  It only gives them a little while longer.  So sorry for your loss.  
Quote 1 0
BoxerMomForever
I am very sorry for your loss.  Please know that was the way to go.  Yes that drug just prolonged it.  Our boxer had liver cancer.  I remember The countless nights of her pacing, couldn’t get comfortable and panting.  It was hard to watch.  She was diagnosed last July and we had to say goodbye in October.  I knew she was suffering plus the lack,of appetite, etc. yes there were some good days but others I was wondering if she was going to pass.  We decided enough was enough.  I could see it in her eyes and it was heartbreaking.  

You gave Mack a wonderful life, and you did what was best for him. Huge hugs to you....
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 1 0
BrownieT
Thank you so much
Quote 0 0
JulieF
Brownie - I am so sorry for your loss.  It is heartbreaking so see a pet go through that.  I had a sweet kitty Bobby that I had to put down for mammary gland cancer years ago.  I had surgery on her twice - the first time it went well, the second time not so much.  I wish I would not have had the second surgery, but I was only thinking of how I could make her live longer - not what was best for her.  In the end, you did what was best for your Mack.  It does not make it any easier but know you gave him a wonderful gift - the gift of letting him go.  He is now out of pain.

I have had 3 bouts of cancer and I can tell you, those steroids are not fun.  Be kind to yourself.  

Bless you.
Quote 2 0
Buddy_Mama
Brownie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mack. Even though it hurts so much, you absolutely did the right thing. From what you wrote, it was indeed the right time... when treatments and medications no longer help and are not giving them good quality of life, it's the right time. I've had to make that decision twice in the past; it's never easy and always breaks our hearts. But it's the greatest gift of pure love we can give to our babies. Please don't second-guess yourself. Sending you hugs...
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 1 0
BrownieT
Thank you all so much. Your words are comforting!
Quote 2 0