Cmpack123
My dog passed away last week and I picked up her ashes. I was expecting 2 paw prints, as I had marked on my form. I called the vet and they didn’t have an answer for me. What can be done? Of course I know they can’t do it now but I feel like I should be compensated. This feels like another loss.
Quote 0 0
Twocats2love
Shame on them for this.. I would suggest changing vets if possible. Something like this should not happen. There is no excuse for it. Perhaps you have a photograph of your dogs paw and someone you know could replicate it in a drawing. Just an idea.

I am terribly sorry for your loss.
Kitty lover
Quote 0 0
camunki
i am sorry for the loss of your sweet dog...and vet the vet should compensate you! I would call them and let them know you are very upset about this, as you cannot have a paw print done now...yes, a little bit too late and they should do something for you.

What is your sweet pets name?

Again I am sorry for your loss.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Cmpack123
Unfortunately I no longer need to have a vet. ☹️ It seems something out of a movie, how does this happen?
Quote 0 0
Cmpack123
camunki wrote:
What is your sweet pets name?

Again I am sorry for your loss.

Her name was Search
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry about your sweet Search, and counting on her paw print and having the vet not do this.

I would write a letter or call them directly, at least then you can let them know how upset you really are. They may or may not do anything, but at least if you can let them know how you feel, it may take a lil' pressure off of your feelings.

Cam

Quote 0 0
catiebee
I'm so sorry they didn't do as they promised.

I tried to get my dog's paw print myself when I lost her. I could not succeed and I've felt the loss of not being able to have that. My heart goes out to you.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Mp2002
It’s not the same but if you have a close up picture of her face you can order a “nose print” pendent from Etsy. It might be sweet to have something with an image on it.
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I am so sorry to hear that Search's paw prints weren't there for you. I work in a vet facility where we see a very high proportion of end of life visits (we are a 24 hour emergency facility). I can't tell you how desperately upsetting it is for our staff when a mistake of any kind is made on these cases.

We all know how important every last detail is when we have only one chance to get it right. We have begun making paw prints (both ink and clay), fur clippings, and nose prints for every deceased patient in order to prevent this from happening. We understand that every patient is precious, and every family is functioning from a place of deep sorrow, and might check the wrong box on the forms. For that reason, we figure it's best to be safe and to make the remembrance items in case a client calls to request them after the patient has left the building for cremation or burial. It's the safest way to avoid devastating errors. When you do communicate with the facility, perhaps they would benefit from this idea so that they can avoid further heartbreak for clients in the future. 

I'm hoping that the prints are there, were somehow misplaced, and will be found. Stranger things have happened. Sadly, as long as human beings are in charge, mistakes will happen. The best we can do is to find ways to prevent as many as we can. 
In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0
Cmpack123
Thank you to all the took the time to reply. Sadly, there are no prints to be found. The vet said there was a “misunderstanding” between the technicians. The whole 9 years we had Search I never thought to do her paw prints. It never occurred to me to do them for the future. Since “paw prints” and other options are free I didn’t any a refund. But I don’t care about the money...I would cash in my 401k if that meant I could have one more piece of her.

Thanks again
Quote 0 0
Avabear
I'm really sorry to hear that, it's one of the things that I'm really glad about Ava having cancer and having a few weeks with her knowing she was going to die, I brought a clay foot and hand print making set that you normally give to parents for thier new born baby but I did Ava's paw prints about 2 weeks before she died, even though they weren't as perfect as I would have liked, at the time it was a toss up between doing them when she was alive and accepting they wouldn't be perfect and had bits of dirt and were not as even etc as I would have liked or waiting for her to pass to do it. I'm glad I did it before because yesterday it all happened so quick it and I was in such a state I would most likely have forgotten to do it.  The only reason I even thought about it was because a friend of mine had a very similar experience to you, but via the pet crematorim who had listed on thier website that paw prints were included but when she got the ashes back there were no prints, it turned out that like your vets someone overlooked it and thought someone else had done it and no matter how sorry they were once your beloved baby has been cremated there is no way back from that.  So when I read your story I was so glad that I have Ava's slighly wonky and dirty clay prints and so so sorry for you that this happened to you.
Avabears mummy

'It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.' Anon

Quote 0 0
nadene
I am so sorry for your loss.  My dog also passed away last week, Friday, and I would be devastated if they didn't have her paw prints.  I haven't picked up her ashes yet, but I can certainly understand feeling another loss.  I have ordered some things from Shutterfly.  I ordered a desk print of 4 pictures that i sent in.  I ordered a coffee mug with her picture, and also a mouse pad, so I can look at her pretty little face every day.  Maybe another type of momento can help, I know it doesn't replace the paw print.  I am so sorry.
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I am just so very sad for you, Search's Mom. I once lost my kitty, Buddy Guy's, paw print, fur clipping, and sympathy card to a horrible boss who had substance abuse issues. It's a long story of why they were at my workplace and what happened to them, but it happened, and it was devastating and they are gone forever. I never spoke to that man again. He died a few years ago as a result of his chemical dependence. I don't know why I thought to do it, but before I took them out of the house, I scanned them into an image on my computer. That image is on Buddy's residency page here. At least I have that. :'(
In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0