Gertie
Hi, I had my 1 year old Lhasa vaccinated on Tuesday. With in the hour he had diarrhea and vomiting. He seemed OK, then started throwing up again on Wednesday. I took him to the Vet, $500 later he is on a bland diet. She also said it was not the shots, but said we should space them out in future. Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
There is something called titer testing, I have not used it but I hear it tells you whether they NEED the shot or not. My vet said it is expensive and poo pooed it, but I hear others do it, so it may depend on the vet. I agree with you, it was the shots......and technically she admitted that by saying she should space them out in the future.

I'd be a bit leery of your vet and her response. She made $ by her own mistake it sounds like. imho.

Dogs and cats are over vaccinated I feel.

My cat is due for a rabies. He is an inside cat so why should I get it? Talked to the vet and she told me that some kid had a bat fly in the house and bit him and it was rabid. The odds of that happening to my cat and myself are pretty big, and I'll take that "chance". No rabies shot for him.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
Gertie
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I asked about the titer testing. She said it is not 100% and there are 6 blood tests, very expensive. I know it was the shots, I am so lucky he hasn't more symptoms.  Like you I feel there are too many shots. My little guy also came back positive for Lyme. I have refused to give him the shot. He has to start antibiotics tomorrow. It has been a terrible experience. 

Ivan's Mom.
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
It is so hard for us when we have to try and trust the vet, which I now feel very strongly that we shouldn't. But we can't know everything. The one thing is that we do know our pet better than any vet and should trust that quiet instinct voice inside of us, we should always question the vet, no matter how annoying they may find us, too bad! that is their job and we are paying them!

I hope your little guy feels better soon.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
It's understandable that you are really worried. They always say "it couldn't be the shots"...
But when they are ill immediately following their shots -which sometimes does happen, that's like saying we don't know them, or know when something's wrong!
They have to have shots -okay I know that. But I wish the vets would just CARE a little more, and give everyone options -and they never do! We always have to ask!

Titer testing is a great option. Ask for that in future. I didn't used to know about it but after finding out about that, I always had that done for my Misty.
Once years ago, she was ill the day after receiving her booster shots. She had been tremendously well, as usual, and less than 24 hours later had diarrhea and vomiting, and could hardly stand on her legs! I called the vet and they said it couldn't be the shots -and what was I feeding her? I was so mad. I told them exactly the same as she always has, and which she is fit and well on!

I also found out that they had been giving her the Parvo shot every year despite the fact that they knew she had survived Parvo when she was younger (before I adopted her)
Now can you believe that? She had lifelong immunity to Parvo -and they were giving her shots of that each year!

Anyway, at the Titer test she came up immune to everything except Leptospirosis (which is hard to 'titer' I found out, and the safest way is to have the booster each year, especially if the dog has access to standing water/streams/puddles, etc in country areas or even parks where rodents carrying Lepto might have been.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Gertie
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Yes the vet did say his food is too high in fat. It is Merrick a really good brand. I mix boiled chicken with it, he does weigh 22lbs. His groomer who has been around Lhasas all her life, her Grandmother had show dogs thinks I just need to cut back maybe a little on his portion, but we all know it was the shots. I did look into titer testing the vet says it is not 100% definitive. I will just space his shots out next year. As I wrote earlier he did have a positive Lyme, no symptoms. I am refusing the shot for that, will do the antibiotics. Just hope he does not have an upset from the medication. I really feel we are giving our pets far too many shots. I have been on line looking for information, it is scary what is written. I had a 9 year old Lhasa Duncan who I choose to put to sleep last year. He had health issues all his life. I spent over $12000 on him. I loved him so much. In the end I had to make that horrible decision to let him go. I had to do what was best for him. The vet would have continued prodding and giving meds. 

We all know our little companions better then the vet, we are their voice. It is sad it is becoming about money. My little Ivan has had a horrible week, I will question everything from now on.
Quote 0 0