Forum

Author   Comment  
jubidyjub

Reply with quote  #1 
I raise purebred rabbits for show and breeding. It's a wonderful hobby and it's extremely rewarding.

Last summer I sold two litter mates to a girl who joined our 4-H group. She loves it and she took great care of her rabbits. I totally trusted her.

Three weeks ago I got a distressed call from her in tears saying that one of the rabbits was unresponsive. Though she tried to save her, she died from heat stroke.

This is the first time we've lost a rabbit since we started raising them (besides the occasional newborn) I grieved for about a week and accepted it. Then, one of my does had a healthy litter of 5 last tuesday. All these sad feelings have come rushing back. I feel very guilty because, although we talked about sun protection, I don't think we educated enough. I'm also angry because the Dad knew the rabbits were in the sun. I am also at a loss with what to think. I want to think Iris (the rabbit) is okay. That her spirit went on, but being an agnostic/atheist it's very difficult. Any help?
shadoe18

Reply with quote  #2 

I am dealing with guilt over the loss of my beautiful kitty Sugar Toes, 1 1/2 months ago. I feel guilty because I let my guard down and feel I let him down and he paid the utimate price. I started going through the internet to find ways to deal with guilt and grief. Although it hasn't sunk yet and I still feel responsible this is what I read and maybe if we repeat it every time we get a guilty thought maybe it will sink. "You can not have guilt without intent." The lesson here - you and I had no intent for harm to come to our furbabies therefore we should not feel guilt.  I hope this helps you.

CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #3 
i thought i would share this link and hope it helps. i got given it on here by a lovely person and reading it settled me. you didnt intend to harm the lovely rabbit Iris, you cared for her, and you educated... we can always feel we 'shoulda' done/said more or prevented it. the dad did not use his common sence and that is therefore not your fault at all. you do a wonderful job and care for many babies, keep hold of that sweetheart. xxxx 
http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html

Dannieb

Reply with quote  #4 
Charlee,
Thanks so much for posting that link.  My Harley cat disappeared about a month ago and I've had a lot of those guilty feelings.  I just read the articles in the link and they were so helpful.

Dannie
CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #5 
Thats no problem at all, i had the same feeling after reading it and if anyone gets a slight bit of relief its got to be fantastic. xx I hope you are doing ok Dannie xx
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.