grievingdexter
My little dog Dexter died very unexpectedly last night. He was only 4 years old and I expected to have him for the next 10 plus years of my life. He was the light of my life and I feel very guilt stricken about his death. He developed pneumonia and I took him to the vet twice to be treated. He began feeling better and acting more himself this last week, I thought we were finally getting over it. Unfortunately, I came home from work Thursday night to Dexter whining in pain. It was very scary. I rushed him to the emergency vet clinic near me and they did xrays and bloodwork. They told me his pneumonia had cleared but he had back pain. They gave me pain meds and strict crate instructions for the next 6 weeks. However, the next day he couldn't eat or drink water he was in so much pain. I took him back and they said the pain moved to his neck. They gave me over 4 different kinds of medication to help with his pain and told me he had IVDD (disc disease). That the meds should help him heal, but he may need surgery that would cost around $7,000. I can't afford that and I was thinking the worst, but at the same time, I was also willing to consider it and do a payment plan. Friday night he got so much worse, even on the all pain meds. He cried out in pain the entire night. I slept with him next to me and did everything in my power to make him comfortable. Saturday morning I woke up and went straight to the emergency vet. They wanted to give him pain med injections and fluids to get his pain down so he would be willing to eat/drink. They called me around 10pm and told me he had passed away on his on, very peacefully. I asked how this could have happened, it was never so severe that it would warrant death. The vet explained they think it was such a rare incident that the spinal cord was so severely damaged it caused respiratory failure.

I miss my little guy so much. I have cried the last 24 hours and just blame myself. I feel like I could have done more for him. I took him to the wrong vets. I failed him. I have another dog, Bella, which helps make me feel a little less lonely. But now I am beyond paranoid I will fail her too if she gets sick. It's just a horrible thing to lose a pet. He was so young and seriously the sweetest dog with the biggest personality. He always greeted me with a very happy tail and would talk to me. I don't even want to go back to my apartment now.
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Grievingdexter,

I am so so sorry for your dramatic loss of your sweet Dexter at such a young age. My heart goes out to you. But please, be sure you did everything you could do for him. You never failed him! Unfortunately we all do blame ourselves and I guess it belongs to the grieving process showing how much you loved him. I am very sure you will never fail any of your beloved ones. Everything is so raw right now and the pain is tremendeous.  Please, stay here a while - we are all here for you. You are certainly not alone in your grief.

You are in my thoughts and prayers
Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
Lamont
Try not to blame yourself , you totally did as much as you could. I am not a vet but Dexter's disk condition sounds like an extremely rare thing. There would have been no guarantee that a lot of costly medical intervention would have had a good outcome either. I know from my own spinal issues that there are no guarantees.

It's the worst thing there is though to lose your best friend, and I know about that, too. Around here, we all know.  

Please hang around, we actually do understand how awful it is to lose a pet,  but there is support, too.

L
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0