Forum

Author   Comment  
SummerBear2018

Reply with quote  #1 
My best friend 12yr old shepherd mix was diagnosed with cardiac hemangiosarcoma yesterday and given a few days/weeks to live. She was fine a few days ago and I just feel like my life has been ripped away from me. I can’t eat or sleep or work. She is here now and I just can’t even stop crying. I can’t imagine my life without her... she has been through so many phases of life and been my constant best friend. I knew this day would come but I thought I would have more time. I feel like I am emotionally paniacing and can’t process this. I am also single and my family is in another state so it feels like all of this weight is on me. I would love any advice on how to cope with the pain, how long to expect to feel this way, I can’t see that this is going to get easier and the thought of euthanasia is so devestating. Would love any advice to help me process
DAWN_ANGELmom

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry. That's a horrible cancer. It seems sudden but in reality most of the time it is just the symptoms that show up suddenly. The disease was developing for some time. Just love on her, manage her pain and don't let her suffer.
Every body processes grief differently. I still mourn my boy cat Angel's death. It's been 5.5 years. Last month I had to release his sister Dawn to heaven. Her vets suspected cancer and with severe respiratory problems I wasn't equipped financially and emotionally to deal with it. Humans can carry supplemental oxygen with them wherever they go. What could I do with a cat? Buy an oxygen tank and leave her there for 13 hours in a row while I am at work?
In my case grief and pain persist. I just learn to live with it. I am "ok" somewhat "ok" with Angel being physically gone. I am grieving his sister enormously.
Time heals. Some need more time then others.
Talk to her a lot, love on her, spoil her and then release her before real bad suffering begins.
So sorry ...
Violetta , Angel and Dawn's mom
Ler

Reply with quote  #3 
SummerBear2018, I understand how you feel. Think about 12 years you’ve spent together, know that your dog feel loved and you gave her a good home. Know that she’ll always be your dog.

I’m having a hard time coping with the death of my dog also. It’s been a little over 3 months since my dog was euthanized and the pain is still sharp. I also have other feelings mixed in, as my dog could have been saved. Instead he suffered, because unqualified vet performed a surgery that caused him to have a hole in his intestines.

The pain may not ever go away, it just won’t be as sharp. Try to think of happy moments you’ve spent together.

kimbah

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Summerbear How are you doing? Did you look at that info on site I posted the link to? 

Reply with quote  #5 

Posted 21 hours ago                 #122
Summerbear Iam sorry for your loss. I wish I could offer some words of comfort that would help, but I know there is nothing that will ease the pain. It is time to grieve now. It is a process. It is different for everyone, but the same. It will be difficult. I know how you are feeling and I am sorry from the bottom of my heart. My Elvis was full of energy on his last day. We went to the park and he chased squirrels and frogs, swam in the pond and played with his tennis ball like a typical day at the park. We came home and I gave him a bath and cut his nails. I feed him creamed farina with brown sugar and butter using my first two fingers as a spoon. I wanted to feel him. He took food so gently from you. So sweet. We almost called the vet and told her not to come. The term for this burst of energy is called terminal lucidity with humans. Blue Laura pointed out to me, this can probably happen with animals as well. It did with my Elvis, and it sounds like Summer had a similar experience. They are so in tune with us. Soulmates. Take solace that she was wagging her tail and kissing everyone. She left on a high note. My Elvis did too. We are lucky. Blessed really. It just seems so awful right now, I know. Please be kind to yourself . Be gentle. Diana is to thank for that. Diana and Lynn kept me from loosing my mind early on. There are people here who understand what you are going through. I do. I’m sorry Summerbear. I bet Summer was amazing. I’d love to hear what she was like, and what she liked to do. My Elvis was a quirky Pit bull. What breed was summer? Please keep writing, I think it helps. I will pray for peace in your heart. It will come. At first just for a few seconds. Then minuets. Then hours. I get hours of stillness and calm. But it’s still tough. I cried for 46 days. I still cry. I cried today on the way to work. It’s hard. I miss him terribly. I keep coming here. I keep reaching out. I write. I listen to others who walked this path before me. Diana I tried to go to the ceremony, I’m not sure how to do it. I could use some help . My weekends are still horrible. I’m so uncomfortable here. I’m lost. I rush through my week like I always did to get to the weekend, and now the weekend is painful. I still have a tough time in the backyard. I’m running on now. Thank you all for being here. Love to all who pass by here.

Pete

Reply with quote  #6 
summer hug.jpg 
SummerBear2018

Reply with quote  #7 
Summer was the the best dog I could ever ask for. She was sweet, loyal, very smart, loved to bark at anything that moved, very affectionate and empathetic.

When she turned 2, she got dog aggressive out of not where. I spent lots of $$ on training to try and figure out what was going on. In the end, I learned it just part of her and her DNA and I need to understand her. Because she couldnt do the "typical dog things" (off-leash hikes, dog parks, restaurants, dog day care, etc), we bonded very closely - she needed me and I needed her. She loved her dog walker and was very loyal to both of us. 

She was so soft and loving. Every morning she would army crawl up the bed and kiss me on my face good morning. Every night, she would make a warm spot on the bed on my legs. Somehow she took up the whole bed and I would wake up in weird places. 

She loved life - probably more than I do. She just loved to take in everything. She loved the car. I think most of all, she loved me. 
DAWN_ANGELmom

Reply with quote  #8 
I so LOVE !!! this picture :) it is beyond precious. Your Summer was exactly like my cat Dawn. Dawn did everything Summer did. Especially occupying my bed and me waking up in weird places.
I miss my girl just as you miss yours. Sad times...
Take care,
Violetta
Peteyd

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow,
Summer sounds amazing. I’m sure that you guys got super close. The bonds with these beautiful creatures are one of a kind and when that dog imprints your life is forever changed. I get it. Teaching Elvis to hike off leash was very difficult and took some time. When he was young (1 to 5 ) he was very willful. He had his share of tussles at the dog park and I once received 5 stitches in my thumb breaking up a fight between him and another Pitbull named Popeye. Popeye mounted him and Elvis snapped and barked at him (just a warning) the first time . I said to Popeye owner please make your dog stop that if he should do it again. The owner said oh dogs will be dogs, and laughed it off. The second time Popeye mounted Elvis, he got a little more aggressive, but still just snapped and barked as a warning. I said to the owner, listen Elvis is not going to take that a third time, please I think you should discourage that behavior. She again ignored the signals and the third time Elvis went into full on psycho mode and in an instant they were really fighting. If you have ever seen to 80 pound dogs fight for real you know how crazy it is. Scary. She (Popeyes owner) screamed at the top of her lungs and froze in fear. Dummy. I stepped in and was able to separate them which was no easy feat, and in the process Popeye bit me hard in the hand. It felt like I was hit in the hand with the claw end of a hammer. That was pretty much the last time we went to the dog park. Too many irresponsible pet owner. Popeye owner was hysterical and begging me not to sue her as I got a first aid kit out of my car and my close friend who helped me break up the fight held her dog. I asked that she pay my doctors bill and she happily did. So.........dog parks aren’t all they are cracked up to be. You are in my opinion better off spending one on one time with your dog. I imagine how sweet she would wake you up , crawling up and giving you kisses. The best! Those are the things they leave with us. Beautiful memories. It’s hard at first, but in time you will appreciate these things. I’m sorry you are missing her. I get sad too. I cried again yesterday after looking at pictures. I have so many. It’s hard for sure. Time helps. Keep writing, I think it helps . I will pray for peace for you and all who come here.

Pete

Reply with quote  #10 
Summerbear18, I have just in the last 5 days been through similar. After sudden change in demenourt, trip to A and E , had splenectomy and now been told my beloved , healthy 11 yr old boy has aggressive heamangiosarcoma. I am gutted and don’t want to leave his side. I can’t ecpect my loved ones to really understand this grief and my body is just trying to process this information. I am trying to look at it from the point of view that I have been given this short time to cherish , spoil and love him, problem is , I don’t want to do anything else and you have to keep functioning in life.
Going to have to work that out one day at a time .
Xx
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.