miserablefern
My dog killed two of our foster kittens last night. I thought they were secured, but my dog ripped into the pen while I was out. I didn’t protect them enough. I took them in so they would be safe and loved and instead I failed them by not locking her up. She lived with a cat for years and I’d been monitoring her carefully and did a slow introduction with a barrier kept between them but it wasn’t enough or the signs weren’t there. She spent most of the day sleeping like usual, uninterested in them. Friends were with me when I discovered them and I feel horrible for exposing them to such a traumatic situation too. It felt like walking into a horror film. One was already gone and the one closest to the door had to be euthanized. I went into shock as we all worked on getting them to the emergency vet. My boyfriend is devastated too and I blame myself for starting this in the first place. We lost his sweet beloved cat to cancer last year and I thought taking care of kittens would be a good first step for him to think about getting a new cat. I wish I’d never signed up. We absolutely won’t be getting another animal until our dog is gone. I rescued her to help with my depression and I love her, but I don’t know what to do or how to forgive her or myself when I look at her. My bf loves her too and now I feel like I’ve ruined that too. I keep thinking if I hadn’t taken them some sweet old lady with a spare room might have gotten them. I can’t stop crying and blaming myself.
Quote 0 0
CeeCeesMom
Hi, I'm so sorry for this horrible tragedy.  Please accept my condolences.  Try not to be too hard on yourself and your dog.  She was probably acting on instincts and didn't know what she was doing.  And because she lived with a cat for years without any problems, how could you have known this was going to happen?

CeeCeesMom
Quote 0 0
Sampson
My deepest condolences my dear. You couldn’t have seen this one coming. Maybe your dog was afraid of losing her place with you and your boyfriend. It’s difficult to say with rescue dogs what they may have seen or been exposed to in the past. You have a plan now going forward. I’m assuming the other foster kittens will be returned. I hope they’ll be okay as well as it would be traumatizing for them so you should let someone know that they may need some extra cuddling. You had the best of intentions but sometimes tragedies happen. I’m so sorry for you all.
Sam
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
I'm so sorry. This is a true tragedy.
We were living with my gran when she adopted a Doberman from relatives he was incredibly aggressive to strangers.
I had my little fiesty Maltese since I was 4yrs old and we could not allow them out the same time. One day I don't know how, the Doberman got into our side of the house and shook my Maltese like a rag doll. It was terrible. I couldn't help but have resentment to him for doing this. I sort of got over it later, the Doberman bonded more to me then anyone else, and he was obviously not exposed to different animals when he was a pup so this has created that situation.
If you knew that your dog was a threat, you would have locked the door. Period.
It's a rough situation you are going through I am not going to lie. But you will get through this. No one can take away your pain except for time. Give both yourselves time to heal from this, take the opportunity every day to help yourself work through this.
My thoughts are with you.
Quote 0 0