jimmy17
7 weeks after losing our beautiful boy Jim, we finally went to our local animal shelter today to register as volunteers. Maybe I am thinking it will help us to recover from our loss in a little way, so many sad stories to try and relate to, but I am sure Jim is doing his best to point us in the right direction. Having recently taking early retirement from work, I really need something to focus on right now. Nothing will ever replace Jim in our lives, but I so want to do something to help all those poor little lost souls in need of love and security. I can`t envision my life without a little furry friend in it, so if I can do something to try to help, I feel I need to do so, hopefully I can do something as a kind of memorial to Jim. x
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Jackie:  I think that is exceptional. I was thinking about this just today. Then the day went on & I never stopped @ the shelter. But you inspire me to go & see where it takes me. It is a kind of memorial to your Jim because whenever I think of our best buds connecting with us...I always think that they would want us to give our love to another dog (or pet). And you're right. When I go onto Petfinder & see how many dogs, cats, pets are out there it is shocking. It makes me feel guilty for even thinking about a puppy.

I hope that your giving idea helps you but I am sure than you will be there helping many dogs. I think that there will be many dogs @ the shelter who will be so happy to see you coming! And Jim will be both inspired & even proud of you...braggin' @ the Bridge...'Hey there's my Mum & Dad...they are the best'. I know how cracked I sound but i don't give a hoot. Definitely am interested to hear about your experience @ the shelter. i wish you well and hope it helps ease the pain-- even for a little bit each day. Hugs, Kasey

PS: Your bravery & capacity to try this really is inspiring.  You got me to take a walk tonite...the same nightly mile+ walk I used to take w/Lucy. Have only done that walk 3x since Nov. I know it's not the same as volunteering @ a shelter...and it's not about 'me'.  But I wanted you to know that I not only admire your idea. I really needed to add this PS to say thank you! Hugs, KC

Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
I have to hand it to you.  I wouldn't trust myself to do that.  I would want to bring them ALL home with me.  It is just too sad.  Sure hope it helps you to heal and I am betting you find someone to bring home yourself.  How could you NOT????  In some teeny way I am almost glad that I am too sick to do something like that because I would surely bring them all home.

I wish you luck, keep us posted on your progress.
janice
Quote 0 0
Sorrow
I believe you are on the right path! I lost my 1st ever dog (age 7) when she got dumped in my lap (Papillion) and I had no experience with a canine. After 3 yrs I had to do the ick factor due to her having cancer and it was so sad and bad. At that time I wanted to 'die' I was so upset, about 4 months later I rallied for and got a job at a local shelter thinking "I'm doing this for her" After emotional difficult work...I ran across a sick 4 month old tiny 4 lb puppy that I adopted because 'I was there'. My point is, do something, anything as that's how I found my sweet dog Pete to heal my heart at that time. Had I not worked or volunteered there? I'd never have had 10 yrs of joy with him. You will find your next heart as long as you are open. That's what I think anyway. I'm still working at doing the same but not there yet, if ever at this time.
Quote 0 0
DaniC
Jimmy17,

That is a wonderful way to honor your little Jim and to help heal your heart. It sounds like you have so much love to give.

Take good care of yourself.
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
Jackie, it sounds as if jim is reaching out to you to help and what a spectacular way to honor him and the wonderful life you all shared together.  it is also a good chance for you and your husband to help other precious little souls which I am sure jim will lead you to a new soul to care for and love when the time is right.  I have believed all along that my first service dog goldie led me to find roxie as that little ball of fur that she was and also know from roxie's recent reading that it was goldie who came for roxie even before her passing to help her cross and "to show her the ropes over there" as roxie said.  things happen for reasons they say and i'm so happy to hear you will be helping so many fur-babies who are looking for a forever home at the shelter.  many many hugs!
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
KC, I am so glad you went on Lucy`s regular walk, it`s so very hard doing the things we once did with them. I love the idea of Jim bragging at the bridge, that made me smile - and no, you are so not `cracked`!   I think it was when I read a post on here about `A Dogs Last Will & Testament`, that got me thinking about volunteering at the shelter. All my friends are convinced I`ll end up taking at least 2 dogs home with me! Knowing me. it`ll be more like 3!

Beaglemomma, I`ll definately post updates on here, I`m just waiting for a phone call from the shelter about going on an induction course, then I`ll be up and running.  I am a bit worried that I`ll end up wanting to take them all home with me though....

Sorrow, what a lovely story - as you say , you`d never have had 10 wonderful years with Pete if you`d not volunteered at the shelter. I just feel the need to do something in Jim`s memory - he was such an amazing little dog - and the shelter I`ve volunteered for is the same one Jim came from all those years ago.

DaniC, I really do hope it will help the healing process, thanks for your lovely comments.

Jerseynonna, I also believe that Jim is directing us, especially as its the same shelter we got him from 17 years ago. He`ll be beside us all the way, and if we find another little soul to come home with us, I`d like to think he`d be happy. Just as Goldie led to you to Roxie - I think Jim is definately having some say in what is going to happen next ! x
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
bharris
I'm 44 yrs old my wife and I have no kids but we had our dog Shadow for 11years. He passed January 1st. We were devistated. Reading your story lets me know I'm not alone. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
So sorry about Shadow, its such a horrible time when we lose our little friends.Shadow was your baby, just as Jim was ours - even though he was 17 and slept a lot during his last year or so, the house is so, so quiet now. Just being on this site helps so much. everyone on here totally understands the deep sense of loss we`re all feeling.
                       Jackie.x
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
camunki
Jackie, you are so doing the right thing with volunteering!! and yes, your Jim is high above wagging his tail rooting you on!! And being around other animals will help spread the love you have for animals.

This is all good!

Cam

Quote 0 0
stellasMOM
Jackie...Right on!! You have been such a wonderful support for so many here, even through your deep grief for your Jim. What a brave step forward to volunteer @ the shelter. You have so much to give and to share and what a gift you will give and will receive back. Bless you!

Stella's mom
Quote 0 0
Bellas_mom
Thank you for helping your local shelter.  Volunteering is a wonderful thing.  After I lost my kitty 6 years ago, I did not want to her to feel as though she would be replaced so I started fostering kittens for our local shelter.  Caring for them until they were old enough to be fixed and ready for adoption.  I've had almost 80 so far.   On average, I have them for about a month, although some were sick so I had them longer.  I cry every time I return them to the shelter for adoption but I know they will be going into a furrever home soon.  Without fostering, the only life these little ones would know would be in a kennel.  This way, they have freedom of being in a house, have lots of toys to play with, a big bed to sleep in, and get used to being held and cuddled.  My three year old kitty who died last week came to me as a long term foster.  I am so grateful that they asked me to care for her.  She was a great big sister to about 40 kittens.  She taught them so much and they all loved her in return.  Bella was such a sweet little girl and I will miss her every day for the rest of my life.

What you are doing for the little ones who are waiting for a furrever home is a wonderful thing.  They all need and deserve to be loved  It shows that you have a very kind heart.  No one will replace your little Jim but maybe there will be one at some point that will leave footprints on your heart and you will decide to bring home.  Your little guy would be so proud of you for helping so many furry babies in need.  Thank you for all the work you are doing.

Hugs, Bella's mom
Quote 0 0
LinLee1947
I lost my boxer (Bronson) in October and was a mess.  Best way to put it.   He was my family, simply put.  I am widowed and my children have gone on with their lives so he was my everything.  Live revolved around his welfare.   He walked to close to the road and was injured so badly he couldn't be saved.  Yes, he shuld have been on a leash but boxers can be willful and uncooperative.   I pushed through the guilt, loss and coping with emptiness by doing a couple of things.   I purchased a helium balloon and attached a note to Bronson telling him how I feel and that I wish I had made him mind better so he wouldn't have gotten killed.  I went to the big field next to my home where he went to do his business and released it.

Secondly, I went to Pets Alive on New Years eve (where I am a volunteer dog walker) to "just look" at a little yorkie.   In a half hour I was approved and he was mine.  The approval was quick because I am retired and live alone whereas I can give him lots of love, my vet knew my name without looking me up and vouched for me and last, I am already a volunteer so they knew I would treat him good.   (This little guy wasn't strongly advertised because they didn't want him to be neglected again like he was.  Owners must of had a busy household)

I am now mama to a 4.9 lb 1 1/2 (APPROXIMATELY) year little boy who keeps me very very busy so I am too busy to be sad all the time. 

ADOPT another.  You will heal.  But get the exact right one for you.   I am older and have to "downsize".  I can't handle a big dog anymore.

BEST OD LUCK IN YOUR RECOVERY AND I WISH YOU A JOYFUL FUTURE WITH RESCUING A LITTLE SOUL
Quote 0 0
LizaandSophie

Jackie
I’m sorry that your best friend died. My 17,6 years old dog had pts 15 monts ago. People think that easier if an old dog died.
Maybe if they oversleep after happy life without have to pts but I don’t know. The euthanasia makes the things more complicated.
My Sophie also was old and deteriorated but as same as you I also feel that I failed in some way. Don’t have clear grief because I have lots of guilts.
I know I could have done some things better and this make me very depressed. I know what you feel.
I feel sorry for your loss. Liza

Quote 0 0