Poppygirl
I tragically lost one of my dogs this past Saturday. I live out in the country so my dogs walk off leash. I mistakenly thought this was a luxury they got to enjoy.

When we were walking they were a little bit behind me and when I looked back they were crunching on something. I went to get them to make them stop but they had finished whatever they were eating. Within one minute my one dog starting foaming at the mouth and her backs legs were shaking and she could hardly stand. I tried to make her vomit by putting my fingers down her throat, not knowing that dogs don't have a gag reflex.

I was a mile and a bit from home on a dirt road with no traffic. I desperately called my husband but couldn't get ahold of him. I called the ER vet and they told me to give her peroxide, but again I was over a mile from home. I tried to run with her in my arms, but she was too heavy. My other dog started to show some symptoms, but not as bad. I decided I had to leave her there and run home. I was so sad that she probably thought I was leaving her there to die. I ran home, my other dog was able to run home with me. Got car, peroxide etc and sped back to get her. Closest vet was 35 mins away. I watched that poor dog suffer in my rearview mirror as I sped to the vet. They were not able to save her.

I am utterly devastated by this loss. I don't have kids so my dogs are like my kids. I think of so many things that could have been done differently and she would still be alive today. Also my other dog is okay. He survived.
Quote 0 0
Annesmimi
I’m so very sorry for your loss and the traumatic way it happened. My heart hurts for you!! I have also walked my dogs without leashes and harnesses because they hated them but learned I couldn’t do that by almost losing one of them. We do the best we can. Know that you did everything you could to help your baby. I also don’t have children so my doggies are my kids. It’s a horrible loss and my thoughts are with you as you heal. I just lost my Chloe 3 weeks ago and still dealing with that loss. 
Quote 0 0
Poppygirl
Annesmimi thanks for your response. I am sorry for your loss of Chloe. 
Quote 0 0
Amararata
Poppgirl, very sorry for your loss! That must've been awful to have felt so helpless like that. Just to let you know though (for your other dog) you can use activated charcoal for most any poisoning of your dog. 500mg usually works well for large dogs. I keep it around me at home at all times in case my dogs ingest something weird or have a tummyache.

I recently lost my dog and am in a horrible state as well. I hope you feel better.
Quote 0 0
Poppygirl
Amararata I am so sorry for your loss. I hope every day it is a little less of a heartache.

Based on this incident I will be more prepared at home, so thank you for the suggestion.
Quote 0 0
Monroegirl
So sorry for your loss. (((Hugs)))
Quote 0 0