Forum

Author   Comment  
amt627

Reply with quote  #1 
My 2 year old lab mix, Chewie, died unexpectedly in a tragic accident at his daycare (it’s a kennel free daycare and this happened over night). This happened while my family and I were on vacation. I had him since he was 6 months old. He was my sidekick and best friend. It has been truly devestating. It was hard the first few weeks at home without him and I thought I had dealt with the loss appropriately. About a month and half later, I thought about getting another dog. My kids really wanted another dog and I just thought it would be beneficial. We had the dog 2 days and the minute I took her home I had panic attacks and extreme anxiety. I could not bond with her at all and I feel extremely guilty about this becuse she is the sweetest dog in the world. I broke my kids’ heart and had to give her to a family member. The kids will still visit her. I am afraid I will never be able to have another dog. This entire experience has traumatized me. Just looking to hear from others who may have experienced unexpected loss and if they’ve felt the same.
Jubee7303

Reply with quote  #2 
Such sadness so sorry. My Jubees passing was not unexpected but I know how you feel about not being able to let another dog into your heart yet. Its been one month today for me and i am nowhere near the idea of another dog. That distance and time for another dog seems the same as traveling to another planet. I am completely filled with my love for and the love from Jubee. Its like a big Thanksgiving meal where you cant even fathom another bite. That door is closed to letting another dog inside me right now. Theres just no room. Theres no way i could bond with another dog anytime soon. The grieving process is different for everyone but for me i am filled to the brim with grief. I need my grieving to go on as long as it takes, in its own time and way, and until i am completely done enough and healed, the pain will not allow another dog in there. You’re in a hard place with your children. You are still grieving and they not be of an age to understand that. I feel your pain is all i can say.
xxcesarxx

Reply with quote  #3 
I feel the same, I will never get another dog. Hercules is irreplaceable.
clevymd

Reply with quote  #4 
No dog could ever take the place of Zoe, Jasmine, and Layla, nor would I ever get a dog to replace them.  I would open my home and heart to more dogs in the future, however, because the love we give each other gives us meaning and joy. There are so many dogs and cats and other animals that need loving homes, and the pain of losing them is the price we pay for those great years of love.  I will do it again, but it will take a while to heal from my current losses.  

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/ZOE085/Resident.htm
https://www.RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JASMI151/Resident.htm
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/LAYLA022/Resident.htm
amt627

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies. I never intended to replace my Chewie. I truly thought I’d be okay. The whole situation was just so tragic and I obviously need more time to grieve.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.