don447
I lost my baby boy, my Bengal kitty Elvis two weeks ago. We were together for 17 1/2 years. He was my child, my best friend and the only family I have. I tried everything in my power to help him but he just didn't respond to this time. I couldn't let him suffer for even a minute. There was nothing more that I or his vet could do to help him. He passed away peacefully in my arms. But my heart died at the same moment. I have been terribly nearly fatally injured before but I've never known pain like this. I can't process that I can't pet him again or have him fuss at me anymore. I would gone in his place without question. I wished I could have gone with him. This is pain that no drug can stop. If I could only hold him and tell him I love him one more time.
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0
robj
I know exactly what you are feeling having lost my dear dog Cody last weekend. This hasn't been my first loss and won't be my last.  No matter how many times you have lost a furry friend it doesn't get any easier. It's so painful and yes, you feel totally empty and numb. You have to think about all the good times you have spent with Elvis. You kept him happy and he loved you. That's as much as you could possibly hope for and want. Look over photos and videos you might have taken. Some will make you sad and others will make you laugh. Just as love trumps hate laughter trumps sadness and it's the best medicine for something like this. I share you sadness right now Don. We know our companions are devoid of pain and discomfort. Just hang in there.

Rob
Rob J
Quote 1 0
don447
Thank you Rob.
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Don, I am just so, so sorry for your pain. I have no doubt at all that losing Elvis feels completely devastating. 

I have just one family member remaining and have been very isolated since moving across the country in 2014 and enduring a series of adversities that haven't allowed me to rebuild any real kind of life and connections.  I only say that to share that I understand losing a beloved pet that meant everything to you--and how very very profound your loss is.

It is extremely hard to absorb the shock and adjust to life afterward.  I do know it gets better because I lost a 17 y.o. dog in 2006. It helps me with my current loss to remind myself that I have lived through something like this before, and that it does eventually get better. But it takes real time.

Thinking of you today and wishing you comfort and peace. And hoping things start to get easier for you.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Donovan,

I am so very sorry for your loss. It absolutely is a devastating thing to go through. I understand very much your feelings of wishing you could have gone in their place or with them. The pain is intense. It’s like our emotions have been ran over by a Mack truck. Just like if we had physically been ran over, emotionally, it will take much time and care to recover.

You were with Elvis for 17 1/2 years, that’s a long time! That’s a significant part of your life that’s now missing. It’s going to be rough dealing with it. It stinks so much that they have such shorter lives than us and that we can’t keep them longer. I am glad you had those 17 1/2 good years with him. And I’m glad Elvis was able to be with someone who loved him so much.

Please hang in there, post and talk as much as you need to. We’re here for you Donovan.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
RileysMom
robj wrote:
I know exactly what you are feeling having lost my dear dog Cody last weekend. This hasn't been my first loss and won't be my last.  No matter how many times you have lost a furry friend it doesn't get any easier. It's so painful and yes, you feel totally empty and numb. You have to think about all the good times you have spent with Elvis. You kept him happy and he loved you. That's as much as you could possibly hope for and want. Look over photos and videos you might have taken. Some will make you sad and others will make you laugh. Just as love trumps hate laughter trumps sadness and it's the best medicine for something like this. I share you sadness right now Don. We know our companions are devoid of pain and discomfort. Just hang in there.

Rob

Couldn’t agree more Rob! Sorry about your loss too of Cody. Hope you’re hanging in there too.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
don447
catiebee wrote:
Don, I am just so, so sorry for your pain. I have no doubt at all that losing Elvis feels completely devastating. 

I have just one family member remaining and have been very isolated since moving across the country in 2014 and enduring a series of adversities that haven't allowed me to rebuild any real kind of life and connections.  I only say that to share that I understand losing a beloved pet that meant everything to you--and how very very profound your loss is.

It is extremely hard to absorb the shock and adjust to life afterward.  I do know it gets better because I lost a 17 y.o. dog in 2006. It helps me with my current loss to remind myself that I have lived through something like this before, and that it does eventually get better. But it takes real time.

Thinking of you today and wishing you comfort and peace. And hoping things start to get easier for you.
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0
don447
Thank you so much. This is my 3rd time. I lost Elvis's sister Priscilla in 2006 at only 5 years old. But this pain is 100X worse than getting wounded in the military.

I appreciate your kind words.
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0
don447
My two lost babies Elvis and Priscilla.
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0
don447
It has now been 6 weeks since I lost my baby Elvis. It has not gotten better it has only become final that I will never see him again. Elvis is not the only baby I've lost in my life. But his loss is by far the most devasting, traumatic and excruciating experience in my life. I have been wounded in combat and rendered disabled. I have lost friends in combat. And 4 years ago I was critically injured in a near fatal auto accident. None of these things have affected me or caused me the pain that losing Elvis is giving me. I am no longer married, have no children, no family living. Elvis was in every aspect my child. He was never my pet. I raised him and was blessed to live with him for 17 1/2 years. It goes without saying that those 17 1/2 years were the best years of my life. He helped me with PTSD, chronic physical pain and all other areas of life. People tell me, "It will get better". Will it? In my current outlook, I fear that if I were to be happy for a moment or two I would be dishonoring his memory. If at least a part of this pain doesn't remain in my heart, then to me that would mean my baby would no longer be in my heart. So you see, the pain of losing Elvis is to me the pain of losing my child. I really have lost my direction because he was always there for me. Now he's gone. I want so badly to believe in the Rainbow Bridge theory.

Donovan
Donovan Stovall
Quote 0 0