Peach
I lost my little girl Sphinx to leukemia just a little over a month ago. In the last year my home has gone from having three cats to only one. My youngest, Nile, is now an only child and I got him at four weeks old. He has never been alone and when I leave for work I can tell he's very unhappy. So I've been going back and forth with the idea of getting him a younger sibling. 

Today I came across a cat up for adoption that seemed like a decent match. I filled out the application, feeling determined. But now it's been a few hours and I'm feeling guilty. I'm not replacing Sphinx, am I? This cat looks nothing like her... why am I feeling so sad all of a sudden. 

Once my application is reviewed the organization will call me. So it's not too late to change my mind. I want to help Nile, but is this trying to help or am I doing this for myself to fill a hole in my heart? 

I always seem to get hit with a second wave of grief at around the one month mark, so I think this might be what I'm somewhat experiencing this time. But I have no idea.
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
No need to feel guilty...you are offering a home to another who needs it.

Your love for Sphinx will always be there and she will always be in your heart...so go on and give that other little baby a good and loving home.

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 1 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Dear Peach,

By opening your home to one that is desperately in need (as Roseblue1 so wisely wrote), you are giving another life a chance at having a home that is welcoming, safe, loving and affectionate. What could be more admirable? And what could honor the love that you shared with your Sphinx? (< great name for a cat as is Nile.) 

Thank you for even considering adopting another cat in dire need of love. May God bless and keep you for being willing to do so.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 1 0
Peach
Thank you both for your replies. If / when they call back I will go through with the adoption. Nile had some health issues when he was a kitten (he was weaned too early) and this cat had some struggles as a kitten too. I think they will be a great match together, 2 little fighters helping eachother.

I will post pics of her if the adoption does happen.
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 1 0
Peach
So it turns out someone beat me to the adoption and the organization just hadn't taken down their advertisement yet :/
But it's okay because now I don't have to feel guilty. Wasn't meant to be. It'll just be me and Nile now.

I bought him a harness and am going to see if he will let me take him for walks. He lets me walk him with the harness in my apartment, I plan to test it outdoors tomorrow. My plan is to take him to work with me sometimes so he's not always home alone. 
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
Enjoy your walks with Nile...I am sure there will be plenty.

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0
kikis_mom_1118
Your awesome for wanting to adopt. I wish i was brave enough to rake in another dog. The pain is just too much. No you are not finding a replacement. The truth is these animals need loving homes like yours.
Quote 0 0
Peach
roseblue1 wrote:
Enjoy your walks with Nile...I am sure there will be plenty.

Ellen x

Thank you, I certainly hope so!
Quote 0 0
Peach
Your awesome for wanting to adopt. I wish i was brave enough to rake in another dog. The pain is just too much. No you are not finding a replacement. The truth is these animals need loving homes like yours.

Thanks for the kind words. I might be brave but the thought of it also scares me. The pain of loss is overwhelming. I'm not even sure I'm 100% ready. Although this adoption didn't work out, I haven't shut the door to the possibility of adoption.  
Quote 0 0
Peach
After the first failed attempt, I tried a second time with a darling named Pouska, a 12 year old senior kitty. Her owner passed away...
But again the adoption fell through because someone else applied first. I'm very glad that people are helping out the senior animals too and although I was disappointed, I was also happy. 
It's been two months and 10 days since Sphinx went to rainbow bridge.
Nile finally has a younger brother. I found him on Kijiji, the lady that gave him to me said that the kitten was terrified of her dog so she felt it was best to re-home him. The ad was placed late at night and I work nights so I saw it right away. I responded not too long after this time so no one could beat me to it :) I was pretty set on finding Nile a companion. 

This is Sylvester! 
20200716_160521.jpg 
20200731_045426.jpg 
Nile took a few days to warm up to him but they're getting along well now. I know it's a little unorthodox of a post since it's about getting a new friend instead of losing one, but I thought it could help too (because he is so cute!) and because I've seen a lot of posts about when it's too soon or the right time to get a new pet after a loss.
For me this was the right thing to do, and I have no regrets. I still think of Sphinx (and my others) everyday, this cat doesn't even come close to replacing her because he isn't meant to.
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
Congratulations on the new member of your family...lucky kitty.

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0
Peach
roseblue1 wrote:
Congratulations on the new member of your family...lucky kitty.

Ellen x
Thank you, and also thanks for your advice and support in this thread. 
Quote 0 0