Lisatim97
Tomorrow will be heartbreaking when we have to have our sweet 17 yr old cockapoo Sammy put to rest. He hasn't eaten in 3 days and is so week and is losing control of his bowels and the Sam we know is slowly slipping away. We have been giving him antibiotics for the past few months and know that we are just trying to keep him in our lives for as long as we can but have to let him go since his quality of life just isn't there any longer. Dear Sam you have always been an energetic athlete with a zest for life and have more toys ( than ever needed) and your intelligence is remarkable! I have just spent time holding you and telling you how much You are loved and you seem to know that it's your time to be free of any unneeded suffering. Looking at me with those sad eyes that have been consumed by cataracts is pitiful. You haven't been able to jump up on the bed for months and are finding different places to lay that you never did before and you seem to be forgetting more and more. You get up to go out 3 or 4 times a night and stay out for 10-15 minutes walking around and around. You even let your 1 1/2 yr old golden doodle Walter smell you and lay down beside you and we both know that you don't like him to get that close and if all was right in your life you would voice your concern!! You are so handsome and have never taken a bad picture-ever! Tomorrow you will be free to run and jump and play and bark as you walk over the rainbow Bridge! You are sooo very loved dear Sammy. It has been an honor and a privilege to have you in our lives.
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Hi Lisa,
I read your post with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.  I know the heartbreak you are feeling and I am so sorry that you have to let go of your sweet boy, Sammy.  I love the photo collage of him...he is so cute.

Nothing I can say will take away the pain you are feeling now or the pain that you will feel after you have said your sad goodbye, but I just want to reach out and say that I am thinking of you, your family and beautiful Sammy. 
Between now and tomorrow, spend as much time with him as you can, take lots of photos, tell him how adored he is and how thankful you are.  As sad as it will be, try to enjoy the moments with him and if you are able to, be with him in his final moments tomorrow.  I know that not everyone is able to do this as it is heartbreaking, but I understand that, but I am so glad that I decided to be with my Bella as she closed her eyes and left for Rainbow Bridge. I really didn't know if I could do it, but I am so glad that I did.  I am glad that my family and I were the loving faces she saw, loving voices she heard and pats she felt as she left on her journey.  She took a piece of us with her and she knew how treasured she was and always will be.

The only thing that has helped me through the last 9 months (apart from this wonderful forum) is the immense gratitude that I feel for having been blessed with Bella.  I feel so privileged to have been chosen to be her Mummy....I know you feel the same about Sammy.

Thoughts of comfort to you.  I wish you peace and healing.  I am sure that my gorgeous Bella will be waiting happily to greet your sweet boy, Sammy, as he comes towards the bridge.  There they can be happy and pain free while they wait for us to join them.  They are now getting the reward they so deserve for all the love they gave us.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
Daisymaesdaddy
My heart and thoughts go out to you lisatim97 and especially to your precious Sammy. Karen truly speaks for all of us and her words are how we all think and feel about what you are going through. All I can add is May God bless and comfort you and your family during this difficult time and in the future. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

David
Quote 0 0
Mickeysdad
Three weeks ago tomorrow we said good bye to our precious Bichon Poodle mix, Mickey. Like your Sammy he was 17 and, like Sammy, age had caught up with him. My fiancé and I know what you're going through We set the appointment several days in advance, too. It's very difficult knowing what's coming but it also gives you time to say good bye. The morning before we took him to the vet I couldn't stop crying (we're still crying). But like Sammy, Mickey's quality of life had deteriorated (he suffered from canine cognitive dysfunction and other things) so it was the right thing to do. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.at this difficult time.
Tom
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
I'm so sorry for your loss
William
Quote 0 0
tml81573
I am so sorry you are losing your dear Sammy today.  What a beautiful boy!  I am crying all over again.  
Quote 0 0
carolm
oh how i feel your pain!! I just put my sweet 3 year old Bianca, maltese to sleep yesterday. I am also hurting so bad . you see,, i have no family, i went through a divorce several years ago and my son has not talked to me in 10 years, i lost my job 6 months ago. I feel so alone. Our pets fill in that space that only a pet could. I am so heartbroken as i am alone. It is hard to find comfort and the healing seems so out of reach. my thoughts are with you.

Carol Maiorano
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
What a beautiful tribute of gratitude for your sweet Sammy. It brought tears to my eyes. He might be gone from the days, but soon will be like a good guardian Angel watching over you until you are reunited. In a beautiful place where there is no time and no limitations. They will always love us, and know without any doubt that we love them.

My heart goes out to you today.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Jax29
My heart goes out to you Lisatim97, your sweet Sammy will be at peace. My thoughts are with you
Jax29
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
I've been crying since we had our big beautiful boy Apollo put to sleep on January 1, but I now feel that I should stop crying, and start laughing again. Apollo gave me all joy during his time with me, I do not want to be sad when I think of him. I want to feel the way he made me feel. He is gone physically, and nothing I can do can ever change that. When I think of the funny things he used to do, I want to laugh, not cry. Oh, I will always shed a tear now and then for my son.
William
Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
My big beautiful boy Apollo R.I.P 1-11-15
William
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
I am so sorry for you and you're sweet boy Sammy. He is so very cute and in you're post it brings me back to those last days with my sweet Coco girl! It is a real heartbreak to let them go. It is very clear that you loved Sammy so much and he knows that. That love will be the light that keeps him with you in the days after. I know how hard it is. I had to let my girl go on Dec 7th. She had bone cancer and her last few days were so hard for me, and her. She was in a lot of pain and could barely use one of her legs. As much as I didn't want her to leave me, I had to let her go for her sake. You are really putting Sammy's needs ahead of your own right now. The way I feel now is that if I did the best for her, then that's what really matters. Yet we are here now to grieve their loss!  My thoughts and prayers are with you........Sincerely,  Andrea, Coco's mom.
Quote 0 0
Lisatim97
Thank god I found this wonderful site because all your heartfelt wishes of providing me with comfort is really helping accept our Sammy's passing. Yes, today was a very sad day but at the same time we have no regrets that we did this one final act of pure love for our "puppy." Sam was always such a complicated head strong little guy who actually would stomp his little foot if you weren't on his schedule! So by not eating these last 3 days I think he was in control and knew that he needed to leave us physically but yet he would always live on in our hearts. He basically just wore oit and didn't have the strength to fight for another day. Tomorrow will be hard because it will be the first day without our little buddy. We are having him cremated and will bring him back home in a few days to take his spot next to our other 15 ye old cockapoo Louie who died 2 years ago this June. That was a dreadful loss because he was also such a love but I can now think of him and feel joy again. When he passed we waited all of 3 days to get a new addition to the family and his name is Walter; a beautiful black golden doodle who turns 2 in April. He has been a god sent during these last few months and is just a 65 lb goofy lovable puppy who has never met a stranger. He's been looking for Sammy and seems sad so I think he knows how much we need him right now-they just instinctively know! I'm so sad to read some of your stories and feel your pain. We all have a story to tell about our furry family members and their spirit will live on. Maybe animals don't live as long as their owners so we can experience many different loves. I've had 6 dogs throughout my lifetime and each one gave me something special to cherish, especially about being present in the moment and living life to the fullest, as hard as that might be during stressful times. I'm a firm believer in taking a chance with adopting another dog or cat because they all have their own personalities and love you unconditionally. I wanted to get Wally so when Sammy passed there were still funny memories and pictures of the two of them together. Walter outgrew Sam so quickly and Sam would walk under him and get so mad if Wally made him lose his footing but put his head on him last night which was so sweet. Again, thank you all so much for your kind words and giving me a glimpse into you and your pets lives. I'm sure they all were waiting for Sammy to come over the Rainbow Bridge and welcomed him with open paws!

Sincerely, Lisa
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
Lisa,

Thank you for sharing Sammy's story. It's so hard to let them go and to try to move forward without them. I hope you have been taking care of yourself in the last couple of days. Please feel free to share memories about your beautiful boy, Sammy. I believe he is with my Lucy and everyone else waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge.
~ Leah
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
My heart goes out to you, but now you know that Sammy and Louie are running and playing happily together at Rainbow Bridge. They will wait for you to join them when it is your time. Then it will be a wonderful reunion, full of smiles, tail wagging, tongue licking and lots of happy tears.  Until then Walter will help your heart heal.  He will not take away the grief after saying goodbye to Sammy, but he will help you smile again. It is so important to be able to find reasons to smile again, because at times it does feel like an impossible task after saying the saddest goodbye to our dear friends.
It will give some comfort to bring Sammy home again in a few days.  I know that bringing Bella's ashes home with her family, where she belongs, helped to comfort me.  
I agree, that our hearts are big enough to love many dogs.  They each are different personalities and we build different relationships with each one.  After we lost our beagle, Bella, we rescued 2 new family members, a springer spaniel X border collie called Charli and a chocolate lab X kelpie called Buddy, and we love them both so much. Our hearts still hurt every day because we miss Bella, and we always will, but Charli and Buddy have brightened up our lives once more and brought happiness back to a place where we were feeling very down.

Keep your memories of Sammy and Louie in your heart.  They are yours forever...no one can take them away.  I hope that those precious memories will soon bring you more smiles than tears.
dog 1 (300x150).jpg 
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0