catman13

Today marks one full month since my Grady left me. The last few days have been really tough for me emotionally. I thought that I was starting to heal, but out of nowhere, the grief became as strong as it was the day Grady died.
What makes things worse is this is the month that I took Grady into my home. He was a stray I started feeding and became attached to. He would come over the same time each day to be fed and we became friends. After a few months of this, Grady went missing for a week. The first 2 days, I did not worry too much since he was a male and I know male cats tend to roam. After that time, I became concerned and thought that Grady had been killed or taken in by someone else. One day, I was along the side of my house when out of nowhere, there was Grady. I knew then that he was coming into the house for good. I hurried to the store to get a litter box and a bed. I was between pay days so I could not get the bed. I got a box frome the store and rushed home before Grady could stray too far from home. When I returned home, Grady was at the foot of my drive way waiting. I took him inside and set up his litter box. He didn't know what to make of it at first, so I placed him inside. He rolled around in it and lay there for a second. I moved my hand through the litter to give him an idea what it was for. Grady got the message and used the box then. I took one of my shirts and folded it over and placed it in the box that would be his bed temporarily. This set up was in my basement because I had another cat and I had to keep both separated until I took Grady for shots. I left Grady there over night not sure how he would react. Early the next day, I went into the basement to se how Grady was. He was lying in his bed and started to meow when I opened the door and called him. After that, the rest was history. We had 8 short years together although we started to interact with one another months prior to him moving in. As a symbolic gesture, I buried Grady wrapped in one of my shirts in remembrance of how he slept on another of mine in the begining. I even sprinkled some of his litter around his grave to mark his territory one final time. Sometimes I go into the basement and say his name hoping in some way that he can hear me and know that I miss him and will never forget our time together. I know this is silly, but I have gone to his grave and said how much I miss him and that he left me too soon. Well, I've rambled enough now. I really hope that there is a rainbow bridge or something similar so I can see Grady along with my other loved ones when my time comes. 

Rodney Lee
Quote 0 0
Bear_Bear
Rodney, I wish I had words of wisdom for you.  My Robin Adrian has been gone 24 days and I cannot comprehend how to go on without him.  So knowing you are still suffering too, well, my heart goes out to you.  Many members of this site believe firmly that there is a wonderful place our babies go, and that we will be with them again when we leave this earth.  I still don't know what I believe but like you, I certainly hope!  I pray you can find comfort in talking with others who share your sorrow and know what it is like to lose a precious companion.  And if you need to talk, please let me know.
Robin Adrian "Little Bear"s Mom
Please sign my baby's guestbook?
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/ROBIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
catman13
Thank you Little Bear"s Mom. Reading and writing on this site has been a god send because I am able to express my feelings without hearing the usual " Its a cat, get over it" garbage.
Rodney Lee
Quote 0 0
CatLovingPerson
I know exactly how you feel.  I cared for my cat Hootie in much the same way.  Having a stray cat come near you, in need of help, and then taking the step of caring for the cat, is a show of compassion for a creature of the natural world.  It is a profound kind of friendship, and looking into the eyes of the creature, a person sees past the differences and begins to understand the many things we all have in common.
Thank you for loving and caring for your animal friends! It is the best thing you can do.
Quote 0 0