BeautifulDK
Hello,
The passing of my dear Rosco, having to experience his pain and deciding on euthanasia with very little information and support really opened up a lot of questions regarding mortality, faith, etc. 
I think I have always been extremely freaked out by this topic, and that I hadn't dared to think about his passing even though he was almost 14 years old. I have learnt something very valuable. The fact that I didn't do my homework and confronted my death-anxiety just made the whole thing worse. I know it would still be indescribably painful, but still, some of the regrets I have today come from my extreme denial and what I did/did not do as a result of it. At the end I had to confront it with wide eyes, and I am happy that I did do some things that I think comforted Rosco in his last days/minutes. 
So my work is now to not to shove this under the pillow and wait until my next loved one dies. I have a grandma that is 98. 
All the lessons our pets give us <3
PD: I just saw an interview on this topic (meant for human loss) but I guess many of us here can find some comfort in the views presented here (see link)
https://drlanileary.com/2014/02/24/confronting-mortality-faith-meaning-across-cultures/

Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Gabriela,

That is very wise. I also wish I had prepared myself more, prior to having my boy put to sleep. Why didn't I think to research grief and visit forums like this one PRIOR? I was completely unprepared for what I am experiencing.

Thank you for your great insight and the link.

James
Quote 0 0
BeautifulDK
Memories_of_Marmalade wrote:

That is very wise Gabriela. I also wish I had prepared myself more, prior to having my boy put to sleep. Why didn't I think to research grief and visit forums like this one PRIOR? I was completely unprepared for what I am experiencing.

Thank you for your great insight and the link.

James

James, I think we are not alone in this. We live in a culture where we say “if we die” instead of “when we die”. Many hugs to you. Happy to found the link useful, it opened my eyes.
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
Thank you for opening up a discussion on this topic.  I am turning 78 so it is central in some of my thinking some of the time.  It has made it "easier" if there is such a thing  to let my precious babies go when they are suffering and not keep them alive for me.  But after they are gone the emptiness and grief is still the same.  I don't know that losing my pet babies has made the general thoughts of mortality and faith any easier for me.  The one thing that I am certain of is that when a precious fur baby is suffering and there is little or no chance for a return to good health, letting that beloved baby go is an unselfish act of love which is a final gift to our loyal, devoted fur babies.

Patsy
Quote 1 0
BeautifulDK
pannklaus wrote:
Thank you for opening up a discussion on this topic.  I am turning 78 so it is central in some of my thinking some of the time.  It has made it "easier" if there is such a thing  to let my precious babies go when they are suffering and not keep them alive for me.  But after they are gone the emptiness and grief is still the same.  I don't know that losing my pet babies has made the general thoughts of mortality and faith any easier for me.  The one thing that I am certain of is that when a precious fur baby is suffering and there is little or no chance for a return to good health, letting that beloved baby go is an unselfish act of love which is a final gift to our loyal, devoted fur babies.

Thank you Patsy. I have never seen anyone/anything die so the experience is burnt in my mind  - and the fact that it was ME that took the decision, drove the car, and held my dog during what it feels eternal procedure haunts me at moments. But reading that you have come to terms with it helps. I am FINALLY speaking to my VET tomorrow afternoon, it would be 5 days where I have gone around like a caged lion without answers of what happened "technically". I am not sure if it will help, but I hope. 
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
The first time for me was similar in some ways to what you are going through.  I didn't know what to expect and it was all burned into my mind for a long time.   Having done it three times in recent years, it is familiar and the death process itself doesn't haunt me.  But the loss and grief are the same.  I am glad that  you are meeting with someone who can perhaps answer some of your questions and maybe help a little.  But death itself is just plain hard--someone, whether human or animal, who was still alive one minute and then is lifeless the next minute is a very painful thing.  But you are the one experiencing the pain.  Your precious baby didn't know what was going to happen and just went to sleep.  I hope that you can find some peace but death is never easy.
Patsy
Quote 0 0