K133
I have had my cat lola for 8 years, she was almost 9 years old when she passed away out of no where this saturday. I brought her to her yearly appointment last week and all was good the vet said. Then one week later on a friday night, I noticed her breathing a tiny bit heavier and she hadnt eaten a thing in a little over 24 hours. So I took her to the vet the next morning just to make sure she was still good. He said everything felt normal, and her breathing was normal. She had lost one pound in a week but since she was being picky with her food and not eating for a day or so he said that was from that. So he drew blood at my request to just double check everything and I brought her home. About an hour or two later she hides upstairs and cant stand up (im thinking cause she had blood drawn she was weak and tired) then rapidly she starts panting with her toungue out of her mouth and shes dying. I rush her to the 24 hour Pet ER cause my regular vet was now closed. They took her and gave me about 10 seconds for me to decide to have them try a blood transfusion so they can get her stable to then test her, I said do it in between my intense crying. She didnt make it through the transfusion. They charged me $1200 on top of just losing my fur baby. They dont know why she died, they said fluid around kidneys, possible kidney failure or her heart just stopped. She was just FINE 2 days ago with a clear bill of health the week prior. My vet called me monday to let me know of her blood tests. (I had left a message telling them she passed after we left that saturday) he said she had no signs of kidney failure and showed anemia and a low red blood cell count but not life threatening yet. Im so confused, I dont know why she passed and its killing me. The vet said cats have a way of hiding illness until their last day or two. Thats how they are. I have never lost a pet as an adult. It was just me and her in my home and she was the best. I dont really know how to get the image of her in pain in that hour, or seeing her on my bathroom floor so weak. It hurts my heart so much. She got me through a few tough years and I can only hope she was happy with me too. You cant help but wonder what they were feeling or thinking, and start feeling guilty woth the "what ifs" and I "should of" but I know over thinking will just make the anxiety and grief worse. Thanks for letting me get this out, not many people understand the bond you can have with a cat or dog or any animal.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
K, I'm so sorry about Lola.  And I'm sorry it all came out of the blue like that, after just having a good checkup. 

The hurt is so huge and the grief is terrible, especially the first few days. I hope some peace and comfort find you soon.

People here do understand the bonds we have with our furry family members, so I hope writing here will help you. So, so sorry for your broken heart!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Chelle_10
what a beautiful cat Lola must have been. I am so sorry for your loss, its very hard I lost my childhood dog on Sunday. It takes time but I know that our thoughts will be replaced by all the good memories we had with them instead of their last moments. Take care and hugs to you!
Quote 0 0
Saand81
I’m sorry to hear about Lola’s passing. Animal lovers/owners know the grief thatyou gare feeling. I yknow that she knew how much you loved her and that you were trying everything you could to help her. Sometimes, it isn’t enough, and the best thing that you can do is focus on all the years you had with her, all the”goofy” things that she did, the purrrfectly catty things she did, all the loving moments that you had with her. That will help. She’s around you in spirit, and you’ll know when she’s there. It might be a soft breeze blowing across your face, or out of the corner of your eye, you might have just quickly saw her and then just as quickly she disappeared. That’s her. My Oreo visited me a day after he died from feline leukemia (FeLV), and it was all of 2 seconds...a blink... and he was gone. My grief was intense, but I found this forum, and it helped. Our fur babies are our family members, and the grief is felt with all pet owners. Keep talking about it.The pain lessens...with time...but the memories, the memories...remain 😽
Quote 1 0
K133
Thank you all for your kind words. Its been 5 full days without her and though each day gets a tiny bit better, I miss her so much. I still walk in and expect her to be in her same spot she was everyday. I can only pray shes happy, healthy and watching over me :-) Lola.jpg
Quote 0 0
Chelle_10
What a cutie Lola was<3 rest in Paradise beautiful she's your angel watching over you
Quote 0 0
heartsick
I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my little Bella at 6 years old from nowhere also. If you read any one of our threads you will see yourself. My baby Bella had a stroke. I raced her to the emergency hospital and they did everything possible. It was 3 AM when I picked her up and ran for the car by 4AM she was gone. I have 5 of her litter mates. I made all of us nuts by checking them all every 2 hours around the clock. I wanted them all to have an MRI. It took my Vet 2 weeks to talk me out of that one. I still miss her. I will always miss her. They may take a piece of us when we lose them, however they leave a piece of them with us. Time helps make it easier ------ not better but easier. There is a difference. We are all here for you always. LOVE NEVER DIES. We will love them always as they love us. One of my Bella's sisters, and two of her brothers grieved themselves into the hospital. It was a terrible 36 hours around here. We all walk the same rollercoaster path of grief.
Susan (heartsick)
Quote 0 0
tonyaheike
I am very sorry about Lola (and to the rest of those on this thread as well) as I find myself in the same boat today. Out of no where, I had to put my beloved Gustav down yesterday. Advanced kidney disease was ravaging his body and we had no clue that he was even sick until about three days ago. He was only 10 and I had him since he was a tiny, tiny kitten.  My heart is so broken and I'm crying constantly.
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 10.02.08 AM.png
Quote 0 0
K133
Tonya, I am so sorry to hear that, what a beautiful cat he was! The first few days were the worst for me and Im sure you are feeling right now. My Lola was only 9 and I have had her since she was 1, so I have a similar number of years as you too. Its devastating but one thing that is helping me is writing down all the things I believe she taught me in the 8 years. All the things she got me through and the quirky things she did. Her memory and your Gustavs memory will always be alive as well as their spirit. Stay strong, you will get through this!
Quote 1 0
tonyaheike
Lola was beautiful as well! Thank you for your kind words and advice.  Best wishes to you!
Quote 0 0