Trishk
We put our beloved Yellow Lab Honey to sleep on July 7th :(. She was almost 13 years old and up until a few months ago had only minor complaints of old age, ie, slowing down, hip issues. She all of a sudden stopped eating losing 8 pounds very quickly and having zero interest in her usual play toys. I debated over the course of several weeks whether it was her time or not to go to the Rainbow Bridge. One day I looked in her eyes and they seemed so distant as if she really wasn't there anymore and I knew it was time.

I am so much more upset that I thought I would be about losing her. She grew up with my children, youngest was in Kindergarten when we got her and is now going off to College next month. I know it is very new, only 10 days, but it is so difficult looking at pictures of her, seeing her bed empty. I also have another dog who is 3 and she is having a hard time as well missing her "Sister"
Quote 0 0
MyBella
Hi Patricia,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Honey, Labs are such beautiful dogs and such a loyal member of the family, I am so sorry for your painful loss.
You gave Honey the most loving thing you could ever give her, you didn't let her suffer, you showed her such honor by easing her of her pain, not an easy thing to do at all I imagine. 
Your heart is so broken, the emptiness left behind so deafening and so painful.
I wish for such peace and healing to find your heart, hold your Honey and the wonderful moments you shared with her close to your heart and you will always, always feel her pure love....your precious Honey will make sure of that.

If and when you feel up to it, I would love to see a photo of your precious girl, of course I understand completely if you aren't up to it.
I am so sorry for your loss, sending our most positive healing thoughts your way.

Sincerely, Don & Vera

Image result for in heart pooh quotes
Quote 0 0
miztina249
I'm so very sorry Trish. We lost our precious boy Polo on June 8th, it has been so hard without him. It is such a tough decision to put them to sleep, even when we know it is the right thing it doesn't really make it easier. The first days afterwards I really struggled with our decision questioning if we should have pushed more treatment. Even our vet said she wouldn't do the treatment and surgery if it were her dog. But I still struggle because I miss him so. Like your Honey, my Polo had the light fade from his eyes. My husband and I both saw it. He used to love being in his yard, we have a photo of him on his last day standing in the yard, his side shaved from the ultrasound he had had a week before...He looked like a different dog we knew it was time...We still cry almost every day.

Big hugs to you.
Quote 0 0
Trishk
Don and Vera, thank you so much for your kind words of support! I am amazed how many people are feeling the same things as myself going through similar losses of their loved animals.

I have to say it was the hardest decision to make that appointment to put Honey to sleep. I felt so very guilty for the first few days afterward. Now I am beginning to realize that it was the best (although the hardest) thing I could do for my sweet girl.
Quote 0 0
Trishk
Miztina,

Thank you for your sweet words also and I am so sorry about your precious Polo :( Like you said I too struggled afterwards thinking I should have waited to put Honey to sleep, given her more time, etc, but almost 13 for a Lab is pretty old. Isn't it strange how they almost can tell us that they don't want to be on this earth any longer? I had read that somewhere else and when I actually saw it in her eyes I had this deja vu feeling. ((((Hugs to you))))

Trisha
Quote 0 0
miztina249
Trisha

WIth my first dog Jax I had a vet working with me checking in every day, she was going to do in home euthanasia when it was time. She called every morning and told me her schedule checked his condition. It got a bit grim towards the end. I remember waking every morning thinking "what will today bring"? "will today be the last day I spend with my Jax"? In the beginning I hoped for a miracle as he was only 6&1/2 for a Yorkshire Terrier that is young. But he had Cushing's disease and Diabetes, they do NOT play well together. It was impossible to keep Jax's weight up. He was fading fast. I didn't want to do the same "death watch" this time. Once the decision is made, it is really difficult to carry on. I also didn't want to risk an emergency situation where Polo's passing would be filled with fear and pain, you were able to avoid that too. That brings me some peace. I hope it does you as well. Giving them a good passing if you can is a wonderful gift.
Quote 1 0
TashasDad
Trisha,

I am very sorry for your recent loss of Honey. I feel very deeply for you. I wish I could help in any way. I wish more than anything that there was something I could say that would significantly change the reality of your loss, that you are going through.

I am writing to you mainly to say this:

Very similar to you, I looked into the eyes of my beloved Tasha, after being her loving Dad for 10 years, similar to what you did with Honey very recently, looking into her eyes, and her eyes told me so much.

Her eyes told me it was time to let go of her. And they told me I really needed to help her in a way I had never imagined before. An unimaginable way up until that moment. 

Similar to you, my upset and my grieving was to be much more than I ever imagined it would be. 

I wish healing for you now. And peace for you over time.

Thank you for being a loving furry parent to Honey over many years. 

Tasha's Dad

Quote 0 0
Trishk
Thank you Tasha's Dad for your kind thoughts. I am starting to let go of the guilt over the putting Honey to sleep and realizing that it was the right thing to ease her pain. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and I am just starting to be able to think about her without erupting in tears and remember all the happy times my children had growing up with her :)
Quote 0 0
lettersatlarge
I so feel for friends here who've had to make this decision, not resulting from serious sudden injury, maiming, or emergent illness. I can't begin to understand the pain of having to choose this for our beloved pets because they're so old and have lived so much that their sweet bodies can no longer hold on. I can only imagine the argument in your head as to whether it was time or not. My Dante's heart gave out and the choice was essentially taken from me, I did what I did in that moment because his death was inevitable in the coming hour and I did not want him to suffer further, so I don't question whether it was the right time, it was very clearly the only choice for him...but you had to summon the strength to make that decision so that your pet wouldn't have to begin that horrible struggle. My heart breaks for you but I know you did the right thing by Honey. What you did was selfless and what was best for Honey.
Quote 0 0
Trishk
Thank you lettersatlarge, yes it was a very hard decision to put my Honey to sleep. But you are right, I now am certain that it was the right thing to do to alleviate her suffering.Hugs to you on the loss of your Dante, thinking of you also.

Trish
Quote 0 0
Nena07172017
Trishk wrote:
We put our beloved Yellow Lab Honey to sleep on July 7th :(. She was almost 13 years old and up until a few months ago had only minor complaints of old age, ie, slowing down, hip issues. She all of a sudden stopped eating losing 8 pounds very quickly and having zero interest in her usual play toys. I debated over the course of several weeks whether it was her time or not to go to the Rainbow Bridge. One day I looked in her eyes and they seemed so distant as if she really wasn't there anymore and I knew it was time.

I am so much more upset that I thought I would be about losing her. She grew up with my children, youngest was in Kindergarten when we got her and is now going off to College next month. I know it is very new, only 10 days, but it is so difficult looking at pictures of her, seeing her bed empty. I also have another dog who is 3 and she is having a hard time as well missing her "Sister"
My lovable, long lasting soulmate...Nena miss you and I will never forget you.
Quote 0 0
Nena07172017
Dear Trishk,

I am really sorry for your lost, I know what are you going throug. I lost my Nena a week ago. It is very hard and I am not sure if it helps you, but I been praying a lot, 3 times a day. I asked Hashem to take my pain away and I been better, much better. As well, I did join to a group named payersforpets1.org and the host of that page is so supportive that I have no words to thank her support. They also been praying for my soul. I truly think that that a certain kind of ritual that allows you to mourn your doggie helps a lot. As well I read this book "going home" finding peace when your pet died" helps me understand that my doggies soul is around and even I can't see her with my eyes she is present and  I can feel her with my soul.  I will pray for you.

My lovable, long lasting soulmate...Nena miss you and I will never forget you.
Quote 0 0
Trishk
Hi Nena's Mom,

Thank you for the sweet words. It truelly helps talking to others going through similar situations. Yes I do pray and believe, not only will we see our relatives, but our pets as well, that have gone to Heaven before us. I'm so sorry about the loss of your precious Nena. Our pets are our extended family members :)

Trish
Quote 0 0