mdoumani
My 12 year old cat died suddenly and I want answers. She was my baby, I loved her so much and the pain of seeing her take her last breath was awful. She was alive one minute and dead the next I cant handle the unknown. She was coming up the basement stairs and my husband heard what sounded like something falling down the stairs, he went running to the basement and saw our cat falling over the side to the cement floor maybe a 12 inch drop. well he yelled to me to come something happened to Jerri, when I got to her her eyes were dilated her mouth was open with her tongue hanging out and it was purple, I put my hand on her and she purred but her eyes never moved she had a blank stare my husband said "honey she is gone" I cant understand what happened she had just brought me a mouse and was running about. She did have a heart murmur and I wonder if she had a heart attack or if fear she fell down the stairs and broken her neck . I didn't want to put her body thru an autopsy but I kind of wished I had I just want to know what happened. I can handle if she had a heart attack but I cant handle if she slipped and fell to her death. Im broken and want an answer. I had my friend do a pendulum reading and it came up that had a heart attack but I'm not convinced Im not even sure why I need the answer maybe to feel ok that there was nothing I could have done if the heart was giving up. She was my best friend, I miss her dearly and the pain in my heart is terrible anyone have any advice. Michelle
Quote 0 0
colleenm
I am so sorry to hear about you furbaby..  I am betting she had a heart attack.  I know the pain you are in as I lost a feral cat I was trying to care for, a few days ago. 
Quote 0 0
Bear_Bear
I'm so sorry, mdoumani.  It does sound like she had a heart attack.   My little kitty, Robin Adrian, was diagnosed with a heart murmur not long before I had him to put sleep.  From what I understand, their little hearts can just stop quite suddenly and without any warning whatsoever.  She may also have had a stroke or thrown a blood clot, two things that are unfortunately common with kitties.  So scary, I know, and so difficult to think about.  But I think little Jerri didn't suffer.  So please, in the midst of everything you are mourning, please do not worry that she broke her neck.  I truly believe that did not happen.  And I'm so sorry for your loss.
Robin Adrian "Little Bear"s Mom
Please sign my baby's guestbook?
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/ROBIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
Thank you colleenm and bear bear for you quick responses and for reading my post I needed that. Iam sorry for your loss as well it is so hard.
Quote 0 0
colleenm
You so welcome.  Losing a furbaby, at least to me, seems harder than losing a human..  In your case, I do believe your baby did not suffer.  That is a good thing.  Also, you did not have to make the agonizing decision to put her to sleep or not.  that is so hard.  Take care of yourself..  You know your furbaby would want to you be good to yourself.  You have her unconditional love and she in return gave you hers..
Quote 0 0
Bear_Bear
You are most welcome. You are in my thoughts.
Robin Adrian "Little Bear"s Mom
Please sign my baby's guestbook?
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/ROBIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
Colleenm, it is harder then losing most humans I totally agree....I did have to put down a 20 year old cat and I always swore I would want my pets to go on their own but now I second that. I mean both are awful. your kind words are helping it has been trying times and I at times hate being in the house as I have so many reminders but Im trying to accept her happiness that she left us.  You know what was strange my husband saw Jerri and my dog (drake) go off into our neighbors yard together 10 minutes before she passed mind you they didn't get along well she told him who was boss. It was very odd to see them walk off together, Im wondering if she was telling him it was time (feels strange to say that) but I wonder if it was or if Im grasping for things
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
Thanks again bear bear, I tried to post a picture of Jerri so you could see just how much she looked like your baby but Im not sure If I did it correct
Quote 0 0
PeteyLover
mdoumani      I can certainly relate. A few years ago I lost one of my dogs within 1/2 hour of knowing something was wrong. I was at the store for just an hour, came home to find her laid out on the floor. conscience, but she wouldn't get up. I had her at the vet within 20 minutes of so and I think when I pulled up to the door (just about thru the building) I heard her whimper and take her last breathe. The vets did CPR but couldn't get her back. I stood there in shock, like I was in a bad dream or movie. Just an hour ago all was fine, now she's gone. I also opted NOT to do an autopsy/necropsy. I worked in vets offices for many years and I know how they do them and just didn't see the point in cutting her. I figured nothing was going to bring her back. Although I wanted to know what happened, I was afraid if it was something I could have prevented, I'd loose it. Now I wish I had found out what happened. I don't know whats worse, never knowing or finding out it was preventable.  
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
PeteyLover...thank you for posting it is so nice to hear others in my boat. I feel the same way I have been beating myself up wanting to know what happened, she also had a urinary tract infection that I was treating on my own with holistic measures and it haunts me to wonder was it worse then I thought and I could have prevented that tragic day. I too am also thinking DO I REALLY REALLY want to know if it was something more preventable it would kill me..I am going to seek out a pet communicator that I have in my neighborhood(ironic I know, just never believed) but if she can shed some light to this I would be grateful but I read I need to wait till she (jerri) finishes crossing over that she may have not left my side because of my sorrow so Im trying to let her go
Quote 0 0
PeteyLover
I'm not completely sure I believe in that stuff either, but would really like to know if you find anything out. I know what you mean and if I had found out days after I lost Kaley that I should have seen or done something, although I've gone over the days before I lost her minute by minute and cant think of anything that she did differently, I think it would kill me too, to find out I should have done something, but I didn't realize not knowing would be so hard also. Either way, NOTHING was going to bring her back and at that time and now, that's all I want.
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
You know I had cats that have lived till 20 and 18, though that was hard and I had to put them down (which I beat myself up at that time for "playing god") and I swear I would always want them to go naturally but Im not so sure anymore.  I will post when I meet with the communicator
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
PeteyLover, since you worked in a vets office do you think they could shed some light on it? I havent called them yet (well I emailed them, I couldnt stop crying to call) I mean they will probably  just give me the well it could have been xyz Right???
Quote 0 0
catman13
I know exactly how you feel. My 9 year old cat died without warning and suddenly. I found his warm, limp body when I went to feed him. I too searched answers and could not stand the feeling of wondering what happened to him; heart attack,stroke? I scoured the internet for answers. Finally, I had to accept that there was nothing I could have done. It will be a month this Friday (the 13th of all days) since he's been gone. He loved being in the basement and it is so hard for me to go down there since that was his place. It's so empty and lonely now. I some times wonder if a part of him is still there since my other cat will not go down there. So take care and know that you have my sympathy.
Rodney Lee
Quote 0 0
mdoumani
Thank you Rodney,
Im starting to accept it but as like you I hate going down to the basement (that's where are laundry room is) I still may seek out a pet communicator but Im not sure I couldnt handle the truth if it wasn't in my favor ya know.  My jerri was also fighting a UTI that I was treating her naturally and it was helping but it scares me to know maybe that did it  get to far in her kidneys but she seemed great running around just caught a mouse (hadn't care to do that in years) I did cry out loud asking for a sign and this strange thing happened (Im probably grasping for something) I was sitting on the couch and I saw something on a pillow and I smelled it to figure it out and it was cat pee...I hope it was just there and I never noticed it before because that would be the death I could have prevented....Then my friend who has been comforting me..calls to tell me her cat passed suddenly yesterday at 13 I had no words for her..Uggg this week has to get better
Quote 0 0