Gingers_Mommy
In the past whenever I would stumble on an online story about a pet that wouldn't leave their owner's grave it made me pause and think what would my pet do in the event something happened to me and she would outlive me. I always hated to think about her alone. Of having no one that would want her or her not adapting to the care of strangers. Or her aching from missing and wondering where is mommy. Would she understand that I didn't abandon her. Would she ever even get another forever home? I would push those thoughts away bcs I didn't like thinking about it.

Her death now accepted, I find this silver lining; she will never have to live without me. She will never have to go through the heartache of my passing. She lived knowing she was loved and had a home.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Yes. I concur.

There were times where I worried considerably about what would happen to Marmalade if something should happen to me? or if I took my own life (which prevented me from committing suicide)?, as people can man-handle and not treat cats with the respect and sensitivity they deserve. To me they are exotic and even otherworldly creatures. They should be treated as gently as they prefer.

Marmalade was already near completely deaf, and I didn't want someone attempting to ever take care of him. Now that he is gone, he is safe from having to live with someone who might not take care of him with the right amount of love, compassion & care.

James
Quote 0 0
JinglesMom
Dear Gingers_Mommy,

Thank you so much for writing this truly wonderful post. The title really caught my eye, was so fitting, and could not have been more perfect. I used to think about what would happen to my beloved kitties if something happened to me, and the very thought of them being put in a carrier and sent to a shelter would have truly devastated me. As much as it hurt me to lose them when they crossed over, I could never go through the sorrow of knowing that they were wondering what happened to their mommy, and why she was not coming to get them. I used to think that the stopping of their sweet little hearts would be the worst thing in the whole world, but if I was sick and unable to care for them, or if I had passed first, well that would be the ultimate tragedy. To know that they were out there somewhere waiting and hoping for me to come, I could never handle that, and I could never fathom seeing their sweet, dear, little innocent faces peering out of a cage, waiting for me to come, and my knowing that I never could.

So when it all comes down to it, if I had gone before my Jasper, my Jingles, and my Pootie Tang, there is really no telling what would have happened to them. They could have very well ended up separated from each other, in a cold and impersonal shelter, with strangers and loud scary noises, and I could never bear that thought. Gingers_Mommy, you did find the silver lining, our sweet babies will never have to live without us, they will never have to wander through our homes meowing pitifully and looking for us, they will never have to endure that unbelievable pain, and neither will we in knowing that we left them behind, even though it was no fault of our own.

Our special little ones lived knowing that they were safe and warm, that they were cherished, and that they were loved more than life itself. Thank you for your insight, your perception, but thank you most of all for giving us all a chance to see this in a completely new and different light. Losing them was awful, losing them was heartbreaking, but knowing that they were out there somewhere just out of our reach, well that would be so much worse. Take care and please know that you and your beautiful Ginger are always in my thoughts and prayers. I so appreciate your words which truly resonated with me, and gave me such hope in my heart and courage in my soul, to face another day without the little loves of my life. Thank you so much for helping me find the silver lining. Sending lots of hugs your way, JinglesMom 

Pamela Lynne Crawford
Quote 0 0
Gingers_Mommy
@ James, our fur babies certainly offered emotional support, and where a source of light amidst the dark times in life. I understand this deeply. I would hate to think of them being roughly "man-handled" and not treated with the level of care love and respect that they were accustomed to while in our care. They were spared from that outcome. We can find some comfort in that.

@ JinglesMom, Yes they will never have to wonder alone or end up caged in a shelter, scared , sad and confused, or mistreated by strangers. Knowing this doesn't minimize their loss, but it does offer us some consolation. It always gladdens me to know my posts have helped others in their own pain. Sending warm hugs your way too.
Quote 0 0
Gmr
Thank you for your post. Gave me something comforting to think about.
Quote 0 0
Gingers_Mommy
@ Gwen, sorry for the loss of your little peanut. I'm glad my words were able to offer some comfort.
Quote 0 0