Pony101
My chihuahua Snuffy was part of my life for 17 years. She passed away in her sleep at 1am on December 23. It is so painful. My family is not much comfort. It's like time has slowed down. Everywhere I look all I see is the emptiness. I keep remembering our last walk together which was the day before. Snuffy came into my life when I was 14. My dad brought her from the pet store. I remember how only 1 ear stuck up and the other was down. We came home one day and suddenly both ears were up. I went through high school, college, and all of my jobs with her. So many memories. She was the queen of the house. I saw so many sunsets with her and they were beautiful during our walks. I cherished every moment with her. Whenever I opened the fridge, she would come over asking for food. She loved human food although we tried always to keep her on dog food. When I went to the bathroom, she would peek inside by pushing the door with her face. At night when she was ready for bed, she would scratch the door signaling me to open it. When I sat on the couch or bed she d come over excitedly wanting to sit with me. Many times I gave her an airlift as she had a hard time with jumping up. It's the little things they say and it's so right. At night there is no scratch at the door, no visit in the kitchen, no one sleeping in the corner, nothing but silence. In the days since, I have wandered aimlessly, grieving and tearing up everywhere I go. They say 17 years is a long time, but it's not enough in my heart.
Quote 0 0
PeanutWee

Hi Brandon,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Snuffy had some wonderful times together. It sounds so cute, how her one ear stuck up and the other down and then suddenly one day both were up. These first days/weeks/months will be difficult, but please know we share your pain. Come here often and if you feel up to it, maybe share a photo and tell us more about her as it may help you to write about her.

Sincerely,
Peanut's Mom

"Sometimes even the smallest things can take up the most room in your heart"
-Winnie the Pooh

Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
I'm so sorry you have lost your Snuffy, 17 years, is a very long time and yet it goes by so fast. I love when you said 'I cherished every moment with her', this shows what kind of relationship you had with her. As peanuts mom said the first few days, weeks and months can be so difficult. The house will feel completely empty and all the routines we had for so many years come to an abrupt end. Finding our way and purpose after we lose a dear one can be so hard, but know that she still lives in your heart, the bond will last forever, she will never forget you and the love you showed. A few things I did after I lost China, my heart dog: I started a journal, wrote to her weekly, let my heart pour out, cried when I needed to, wrote down all the little things I could remember about her, lit candles on particular days. Some of these things helped me, but the grief was deep and came in waves. Your words are so beautiful, your thoughts so touching. I like when you said you had to give here 'air lifts', I did the same with China, she was so very small and had a lot of problems with her back legs. But, she was my little girl, she always will be. If you feel like posting more thoughts or stories or pictures we would love to know more. We all grieve at our own pace. I believe we will see them again when we pass. I pray for blessings and comfort for you.
Charlie
Quote 0 0
Pony101
Thank you. I can't believe it has been over a week. I had a dream about her and she looked as she did in her younger days. She barked and I think this was her way of telling me that she is ok. I miss her but I know she had a great life and I felt like she was trying to communicated that in my dream.
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
Oh m'gosh. I am so incredibly sorry for you loss. 

It's excruciating to lose a beloved pet. But, this time of year? I am so with you in your sorrow.

My little one is right next to me right now. And I know I am going to have to say goodbye, probably some time this week. If she makes it. 

It's New Year's Eve. People are celebrating. Here we mourn. Just know that you are not alone.

Here is an ode, to your beloved little Snuffy:

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears.
But laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.
I loved you so -
'Twas heaven here with you.
Quote 0 0