lindscx
Just a few hours ago I had to say goodbye to my Labrador who was 15 years old. He lived a long life, but he couldn’t go on anymore, no matter how much I wanted him to stick around a little bit longer. Arthritis and other health problems took over. Of course that doesn’t make it hurt any less. I feel like I have lost a part of my self when he passed away today, my heart is physically aching. I have never experienced true grief before and I don’t know what to do with my self right now, I am just a complete mess. I am lost without my best friend. I love you glen, thank you for being the best companion to me for all those years ❤️
Lindsay
Quote 1 0
Runningman66

Condolences Lindsay on the loss of your beloved Labrador Glen.You’ve prob seen quite a few of my posts as I lost my choc lab two moths ago just short of his 10th birthday so your boy did well reaching the ripe old age of 15 as labs tend not to live past 13 but that will not make your grief less.They are such loving,loyal and the friendliest of breeds so I feel your pain as my life is so empty since my boy was put to sleep but the only thing that keeps me going from day to day is that he is now free from the horrible suffering he endured in his last months but the tears have not stopped.Sending you prayers🙏🏻

Love Runningman xx

Quote 0 0
lindscx
I was being selfish because I didn’t want to let him go, the thought was just too much. It had to be done but I can’t stop feeling an overwhelming amount of guilt for it, but he wasn’t going to get any better. Like you say, living to the age of 15 was amazing and I’m so lucky he got to be apart of my life for that long. It only made it that much harder to say goodbye. Sending prayers to you, thank you for your kind words and I hope we can both heal in good time from this. God bless 🙏🏼
Lindsay
Quote 0 0
grievingmama
So sorry for your loss, Lindsay. As Runningman said, 15 is a good long life but hearing that will bring little comfort to your grief. Losing a senior is a double whammy in the grief department, we lose our constant long term companion + we lose the life we had that was so much engrained by them; the routines, the smell, the noises, it's everything. I lost my 13 yr old boy just over 3 weeks ago, I ache horribly too. You take this one day and one breath at a time. Don't rush yourself, feel it and live through it. All my best. 
Quote 0 0
lindscx
I have tears streaming down my face reading this. It’s so lovely to have others reach out. Thank you so much. It’s not even been 24 hours yet and already I miss him beyond words can describe. Every time I have gone down stairs I keep thinking he’ll be there, it’s truly gut wrenching. Sending prayers and my thoughts are with you during this horrific time! 🙏🏼💕
Lindsay
Quote 0 0
Runningman66
Just a thought Lindsay but you might take a little comfort in making a shrine like I have done with his urn,picture and candles but I can understand if this is too early for you but I needed him with me and this is now the closest I can get.Even some of his cuddly toys are in my bed as I can still smell him on them and I’m a 54yr old man.Now a very lonely man.
Love Runningman xx
Quote 0 0
lindscx
That’s lovely! I was planning on doing so, his ashes will be coming in a weeks time. It’s going to be so hard, because then it’ll finally kick in that he’s not coming back. (Still in denial about the whole thing right now) My situation at home isn’t all good atm either. Put it this way, there is a lot on my shoulders and I don’t know how I haven’t completely broken down yet. I can’t even grieve in peace because of it. Life is going to be tough for a while 😭
Lindsay
Quote 0 0
melkman
Hi--I lost my dead lab buddy just 2 months shy of 12.  I really thought he'd see 13, maybe 14.  15 is great.  I know it still hurts.  My guys's body just broke down, and very quickly at the end, due to an ACL injury that he dealt with mostly fine, but caused him to adjust his walk, etc the past few years and eventually resulted in too much wear and tear on his body.  I was caught off guard by how much he dropped--within a couple of weeks he went from simply not doing stairs to otherwise getting around as well as he had for years, to not being able to stand and eventually not being able to take more than afe wsteps without collapsing, even when I picked him and took him outside (with some risk of hernia, etc. for myself).  It's tough. :(  
Heavy heart
Quote 0 0
Runningman66
lindscx wrote:
That’s lovely! I was planning on doing so, his ashes will be coming in a weeks time. It’s going to be so hard, because then it’ll finally kick in that he’s not coming back. (Still in denial about the whole thing right now) My situation at home isn’t all good atm either. Put it this way, there is a lot on my shoulders and I don’t know how I haven’t completely broken down yet. I can’t even grieve in peace because of it. Life is going to be tough for a while 😭
Just be aware that you have people on here who understand what you are going through and without getting into your personal circumstances people close to you should certainly understand and give you time to grieve so grieve as much as you want for as long as you want.Just do it in your own time.
Love Runningman xx
Quote 0 0
lindscx
@melkman it’s so horrible isn’t it. My heart feels like it’s been pierced. I’ve cried the whole day and I know there will be a lot more tears to come. Thanks for sharing, I’m sorry for your loss 😔 

@runningman even though I know there’s millions of people in the world who are going through the same thing as me right now, or who have gone through it before me, it still feels like the most crippling loneliness I’ve ever felt. Like I’m the ONLY person in the world to feel this horrible pain 😔 It hasn’t even been 24 hours yet, I don’t know how I’ll cope without him
Lindsay
Quote 0 0
bernieboy
Lindsay, I am feeling your pain and loss as I type this.  I to, lost my beloved 14 yr old long hair Chihuahua Bernie just last Sunday.  I too fill the guilt of trying to hold on and not thinking of him.  I have a big hole in my heart and every day is a sad day.  I cry on and off especially at night when we use to go out for his late night pee.  My wife bought him unbeknownst to me.  I was a bit upset but it didn't take long to love him and have him as part of our pack.  He was the purest form of unconditional love and I too feel so lonely without him.  The house is so empty and when I go for a walk without him it just overwhelming.  I need time is a gentlemen and will have the wounds of my lost, but I don't think I will ever be the same now that he is gone.  He had a great life and he was spoiled beyond control, always under the dining table waiting for his fair share.  He was very possessive and always came between me and my wife when she way headed for bed.  Life without him at the moment is unbearable.  I am soooo sorry for you lose and hope that one day time will heal.  He will always be in your heart and mind.  You gave him the greatest gift of love and companionship and laying him to rest.  Take care.
Ernie A Arevalos
Quote 0 0
lindscx
So sorry that you have to go through this, it’s so heartbreaking isn’t it? I am still in total disbelief that it happened. He was there one minute and gone the next. Can’t help but wonder if maybe he still had a bit of life in him and he wasn’t ready to go, that’s the guilt creeping out. I’m going to try and take each day as it comes, I know it’s not going to be an easy road 😔 Take care 🙏🏼
Lindsay
Quote 0 0
Runningman66
lindscx wrote:
So sorry that you have to go through this, it’s so heartbreaking isn’t it? I am still in total disbelief that it happened. He was there one minute and gone the next. Can’t help but wonder if maybe he still had a bit of life in him and he wasn’t ready to go, that’s the guilt creeping out. I’m going to try and take each day as it comes, I know it’s not going to be an easy road 😔 Take care 🙏🏼
I still have that guilt of did I end my boys life too early as it was me who ultimately decided to end his life but he was a shadow of the dog he once was and I would have gone bankrupt to save him but you can’t fix heart disease and arthritis just to name a few of his ailments and he wasn’t enjoying his life anymore especially not being able to hardly walk so I hope and pray I made the right decision.I’m even crying now writing this in my bed because his loss to me is indescribable.Oh how I’d love to have him right now lying across my bed hearing him dreaming😢Lindsay I’ve cried nonstop for two months every day so do not hold back the tears or your emotions and to hell to anyone who tells you otherwise.
Love Runningman xx
Quote 1 0
lindscx
It’s been on my mind the whole day. I keep getting waves of intense panic and ask my self, was getting him put to sleep 100% the right choice? But, like you said, he had no quality of life anymore. He was deaf, could barely walk and stand on his own, and all he would do was eat and sleep all day. He wasn’t the same energetic goofy pup I grew up with, he was just a shell of himself. I’m also crying right now too, it’s time for me to be asleep now but I am scared to even shut my eyes. All I can picture is his little face. God help us 🙏🏼 
Lindsay
Quote 1 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
When it comes to shrines, I came across electric candles at the 99 cents store that are very nice. They are safer than candles and you can leave them unattended. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone here as always and I am sorry and saddened for your individual losses.

Hugs,
James
Quote 1 0