judylinn

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then will you do what must be done,

For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

But don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

You wouldn't want me to suffer so.

When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me till the end

And hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

It is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you,

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close,we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author Unknown

Quote 0 0
alib
This is the poem that I read all the time. Its heartbreaking but true. Picked up Caspers ashes today and feel him near xxx
Quote 0 0
judylinn

oh my, Casper is such a doll. I'm so sorry for your loss.It's just so heartbreaking. I hope you find comfort in his ashes. I do with Maddie's. prayers are sent your way. Judy

Quote 0 0
donnalee

Thank you for sharing this wonderful poem again so others can read it.  It says so much. 

Quote 0 0
Baloomom

I also read this poem everyday since Baloo passed. I keep it on my kitchen counter. 

Quote 0 0
judylinn

for newcomers.

Quote 0 0
clemmie86
What a beautiful poem and so well said. I just wish that I could have been there for Charolais when she passed. And I wish my husband could have been there also. I guess I would say, I wish that we could have shared more time with her, and had the opportunity to be with her at the end, instead of loosing her the way that we did. That is the hardest part...
Quote 0 0
judylinn

for others who need to see this.

Quote 0 0
judylinn

for those that need this.

Quote 0 0
jenny

Thank you. I too will print it and keep it to remind me.

Quote 0 0
GoodBoy
Thank you for this poem. It means a lot. I know that my Jesse suffered less because I did what was best for him...as hard as it was to do.
Quote 0 0
judylinn

for others

Quote 0 0
jphovercraft
Through tears, thank you for this one. I'm trying to feel that I didn't betray my Miles the Wonder Cat by ending his life. He was so weak and uncomfortable/hurting and he tried so hard to hide it.

I miss him so much. Home and heart are feeling so empty.
"There is no such thing as 'just a cat'." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf
Quote 0 0
heartsick
I give you credit. I read it once and became hysterical, and I didn't have to make any decisions for Bear. He made his own and went to sleep and did not wake up. I couldn't read that without sobbing my guts out. Maybe it is just too soon for me.
You are very brave and you deserve a great deal for your courage. I am glad you found something that makes you feel better. I am still searching.
Quote 0 0
judylinn
jphavercraft. I'm glad that it helped you. I sobbed through it as well, and the crying believe it or not is good, as it releases all the pain.
Heartsick, there was nothing at all that made me feel better when the pain was raw, but the poem made me sob and sob in release of the pain, and the understanding that releasing my beautiful Maddie was the best thing for her. However, even after 9 months I still cry for missing her almost everyday. but it's an easier cry now.
Not all things are right for everyone.....but if it helps anyone, than thats whats important :)
Quote 0 0