bellasmum
I just wanted to say thanks to all the kind people who replied to my message when Bella was killed. Every day that passes gets slightly easier, although it is still very painful to remember how young she was and that we'd only had her 5 months. That will always be with me, alongside the image of her lying in the road.

I want to tell everyone who is hurting out there about my personal therapy. It may help someone else too. I have volunteered at the shelter where we rehomed her from. The staff have been wonderful and remember Bella with fondness. It has been good to hear their memories of my playful little girl and I now have more stories of her life as before there were precious few.

I have also found immense healing in the paws of the cats and kittens at the center. They are always so grateful for 10mins of your time, a scratch behind the ear, a few kind words or a treat or two. I have laughed and smiled and the pain of losing Bella has lifted, although I will never forget how she loved me and how harshly I felt her loss. Sadly, they will probably never be able to remove the image of her lying in the road from my memory either.

On Saturday I came across a new addition to the center - a young long-haired ginger and white male cat with orange eyes. I melted! Apart from the colouring, he reminded me so much of my precious girl.  He is poorly with cat flu at the moment, and I'm unsure of whether I'm ready for another cat but if he's still there after Christmas, fate says that he's coming home with me!

My mum handed me a poem just after Bella was killed. I can't remember much of it, except for the last line. 'Give your love to another like me and I will never die. For love itself can never truely die.' I'm giving my love to many at the center and I'm beginning to feel better. Bella gave so much love to me.

I've also been fundraising for the shelter and held a charity evening at my house last week. Just before my guests were about to arrive, I found a long white hair on a rug that had been vacuumed many, many times since Bella went to RB. It was unmistakeably hers! No idea where it came from, but I know it was a sign from my little baby that she was proud of what I am doing.

All of this is because of her. My life has changed forever, all because of a small tortoiseshell cat who came into my life so very briefly but left an imprint on my heart. Thanks Bella. You will always be so special to me.
Quote 0 0
Ponchosmommie

A Simple Message From Your Pet

by Ken D. Conover

To have loved and then said farewell is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and
returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you. For the care that you gave to me
so unselfishly. For all of these things I am grateful and thankful. I ask that you grieve
not for the loss but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each other's lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as owner, but as my friend. Today, I am
as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among fthe flowers and
the sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures. I can run, jump and play
and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints
and no regrets and no aging. We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know
that togetherness is forever. You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such
as you are very rare and unique. Don't hold the love that you have within yourself.
Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies,
and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.

Your pet in heaven.

This may be the one your Mom gave you.

Quote 0 0
bellasmum

Thats the one. I haven't read that since the day after she died. It's lovely. Very heartbreaking but includes words we all want to hear after the death of a beloved pet. Thankyou.

Quote 0 0
Polly
How wonderful!

A beautiful, touching poem that couldn't fail to bring some comfort to a breaking heart, and an uplifting story of how caring for and helping other little innocents can help us along that long path towards healing.  

Thank you ladies, for sharing.

Polly
Quote 0 0