callmestace
I am still confused and lost. My 13 yr old calico was fine and suddenly she wasn't eating or drinking. She tried to leap into her favorite window sill and just barely grabbed the ledge with her front paws. She started stumbling and collapsing after only a few steps, then when her back legs gave out, she started dragging herself around. My heart ached, my spirit crashed, my baby girl tried to do it all. She would drink a little, lap up some pureed tuna with nutritional goop in it. She was trying so hard until the weekend of Memorial day. When I got home, she could barely lift her head and she mewed, soft and ragged. She seemed to be breathing like she had run a marathon. I had to watch her like this for 3 days.
Isn't it odd that so many animals are getting Cancer? I have always used veterinarian recommended flea remedies. My calico had an allergy to fleas. She wore a very strong collar the last year of her life. When I was home with my sick girl, I did what many of you have done. I typed her symptoms into my search engine. Cancer came up, but so did poisoning. My girl never went outside. I don't have poisonous plants or much of anything laying around my house. She started to eat the clumping kitty litter right out of her cat box. That was when I started to watch her closely and took her to the vet. They hydrated her with fluids, sent me off with supplements to jam down her throat and taught me how to jam a needle through her skin to administer subcutaneous fluid. By the end of the Memorial Day weekend i felt like i was a terrible tormentor. My darling girl was frightened of me. It made me physically I'll. I am so baffled as I read every single cancer story. I feel as if it is a vet go to diagnosis. Since my girl was poked and prodded for veins the first trip to the vet, she never walked again on her hind legs. She had a huge hematoma on one leg. She was extremely anemic. But her blood work was fine otherwise? The vet said she suspected bone cancer. She said that she would probably not respond well to even more tests. I have always put tiny amounts of Frontline on my pets for years. I wonder what are the long term effects of these poisons? I just see so many people whose pets have the exact same symptoms and different diagnosis. I don't know, maybe I just feel like i have to be angry at someone or something tangible? Am I the only one that wonders if squirting insecticide on our pets cause Cancer? I mean they tell us humans to go easy on the DEET now. Why would are animals be different?
I am just missing my precious girl, Jessie. Maybe this is just the anger part of grieving? She was my best pal. My daughter picked her out 13 years ago. Now my daughter is a high schooler. I don't remember this home without her in it. From her very first day to her very last she was the most affectionate, friendly kitty I have ever known. Her personality was awesome and she was a silky, soft favorite friend to my whole family.
RIP little darling
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi callmestace, She really is a little darling. You make some good points about the flea collars and insecticides and it's something for everyone to think about so thank you for posting your story.
Jessie was such a treasure to you. I understand how hard it is feeling like the house is so empty and missing your beloved pet so much. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you,
CK
Quote 0 0
CK1991
I just looked at her pictures and she was such a pretty cat - I'm assuming that is Jessie with your daughter since you said she picked her out 13 years ago. Pictures to treasure for sure!!!
CK
Quote 0 0
callmestace
Thank you so much. Yes, that is my Jessie Girl riding home in the car seat with my little girl. That little girl is 15 now! I do appreciate your kind words and acknowledgement. This site is helpful. I could not find anyone, I personally know, who would send me such nice texts at 3:57 am. 😁 Truly, thanks. It is comforting to know that someone else understands. I haven't been sleeping well without her, obviously. 😧
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Stacey,

I am very sorry for the loss of your sweet Jessie. And I can imagine your anger as well - still, she was 13 which is already a good old age meaning here that ugly cancer might come along in so many of us once we become old. You asked why do we see so much cancer - I believe the answer is we (and our pets) grow old enough to see it.

What you wrote there about all the chemicals we use to "protect" our pets from whatever are truly worth a second thought, meaning here what is definitely helpful and what not. We should always be critical and question the benefit and the side effects of modern medicine. Nevertheless we also have to consider that without modern medicine our pets would not live as long as they actually do nowadays. Without powerful painkillers that Max took over the last two years of his life he simply would not have made it as long as he did. But they did have side effects. I think it should be clear to us that this is how medicine works - we buy extra time.

I know that right now you simply feel angry and sad and devastated and you have all rights to do so. This now is the time to grieve your sweet Jessie - but believe me, it will ease and things will become more clear to you as time goes. I know you took the best care of her and she knew you did.

My good thoughts are with you

Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0