Saharas_Dad
After my dog's one-year battle with lymphoma, she had begun to grow weaker and weaker. A couple days ago, she needed help standing and wouldn't eat.  I took her to the emergency vet so they could put her on fluids, hoping we could rid her body of any residual chemo toxins that may have built up.  I suppose it was selfish to attempt to prolong her life, given that her days of running and jumping were over, but I was trying to make her more comfortable and if possible, get some more time.  Unfortunately, I had to put her to sleep this afternoon.  I had been preparing myself for this day for the past several weeks, but it's still so hard to cope.

I got her when she was about five and true to golden retriever form, she wasted no time showing me her love of swimming and retrieving.  She was my first golden retriever and now I know why they're so popular.  Sahara was the most gentle and patient dog I've known.  I will truly miss her.

sahara.jpg
Kevin
Salinas, CA
Quote 0 0
Miss_my_pug
I'm so so sorry about your sweet Sahara. She is adorable. What a sweet face. Thanks for sharing your story and picture. I too have been struggling to cope since my dog passed. He was my first dog I raised as an adult and first to have to put down. I hope your doing okay and find peace soon. Take care.
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Wish I could tell you that there actually IS a way to prepare for this awful day, but there isn't.  I lost my Molly a 14 year old Beagle a year ago now at Thanksgiving and I am still cry daily for her.  She was well till the last minute when she had a stroke, but at her age I knew it was coming.  No way to "get ready" for that loss.  It is too great.

I do know that Molly was waiting for your Sahara when she crossed over the Bridge.  Molly loved everyone and never met a stranger, so I can picture them healthy and playing free from all pain.

I wish you peace and sending hugs.  This time of year is filled with stress anyway.  Take care of yourself and I am so sorry for your loss.
janice
Quote 0 0
littleguy
so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl  and what a beautiful picture you posted and as much as we would like too we can never prepare for  a loss of a beautiful companion to our lives the one that gave us so much happiness in so few years ,I hope you find comfort some how and my prayers are with you as I know just how you feel

littleguys mom
pamela meadows
Quote 0 0
Saharas_Dad
Thanks for the kinds words and support.  It means a lot.

It's so tough the first few days.  I dread coming home after work because she's not here, so I find ways to stall.  And the kind words of coworkers (also animal lovers) often get me choked up.  It's interesting because I know I did the right thing by putting her to rest and when I think of it that way, I'm fine, but the moment I begin to reminisce of all the good time we shared, I get teary-eyed.

Today, as I walked our evening path, I attempted to guess the number of miles we walked and hiked together in the seven years I had her and estimated about 2,000, which is halfway across the country (from California).  We shared many good walks together.

Thanks again.
Kevin
Salinas, CA
Quote 0 0
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever
Oh what a beautiful girl Sahara is! I am so sorry for your loss. She is still enjoying her hikes and walks with her friends at the bridge, free of pain and health issues. We shared miles and miles of walks with our little Beagle girl Molly for almost 17 years, and this past month without her has been an emotional wreck. We are so lucky to have shared these special times with our soul mates, which of course is never long enough. They are truly unconditional love, and they know we love them with all of our hearts as well. Take care.
Love you infinitely our little Molly. Forever and ever XOXO
Quote 0 0
PachinoMom
Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your lose. I lost my dog pachino last night. I know what it means.

Take good care!
Pachino(April 10th,2010 to Dec.2nd,2016)
Quote 0 0