Forum

Author   Comment   Page 12 of 25     «   Prev   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   Next   »
Marie123

Reply with quote  #166 
So true. Having our babies with us made everything ok, helped us through. Please keep us all posted on how you and Zoey are doing. This is going to be a sad day for many of us, but our little friends would be so proud to see us all together here, sharing their stories and passing on that deep, pure love that only animals know how to give
Easter prayers to you both, and to everyone here 🐱🐇🐺
sma23

Reply with quote  #167 
Hey all,

Easter has come and gone. Thankfully, I was able to get most of my mind off Ziggy to be with friends and family at my grandmother’s house. It’s now been 2 days since Ziggy was put down. I am still very heartbroken as I still expect to see him walk around the corner of the kitchen, look at me and meow as he makes his way to get on my lap as well as lounging on the dryer while it’s running, it being one of his favorite spots, especially in the winter.

I’ve made some progress since my last post yesterday. I can’t say for certain I’ve healed all the way, but I’m slowly starting to put myself back together. I’ve made attempts to reach out to Zoey, making sure she gets all the love and attention she needs and for the most part, she seems to be happily absorbing it. Yesterday, sometime after my last update, she jumped into my lap and for a moment there, I got a little misty-eyed as I’ve been so used to her brother’s weight and preference to spread himself out on my legs for so long, her presence felt too alien to me, as she almost never got on my lap too often when she was much younger, having to have preferred only my dad’s.

Sometime after we had returned from spending a few hours at my grandmother’s for Easter, I got up to let her out (hoping she was done with her bathroom business) and right when I walked in, I couldn’t help but to see that she was a bit lonely. After having to have spent most of her life with her brother - being adopted together - I could see she had the sense he wasn’t coming back. For the most part, she seems to be adjusting well, but it was only that little moment that sunk my heart. The dog - Chewie - he seems to acknowledge that Ziggy isn’t here any more so he tries to focus his attention on Zoey and making attempts to get her to pay attention to him. These days, I don’t understand why he would still come back after she made it obvious she despised him.

For me, I’ve started going into a routine of talking to his old collar that currently sits on my bookcase in my bedroom for when I wake up and when I go to bed as if he were still here. I’ve made it my mission now to let him know how things have been since he left and it’s been helping me sort my sadness out. Tomorrow is the first day of the spring term at the university I currently attend, so obviously I will be busy - hopefully I don’t break down in class - but I will still actively try my hardest to let Ziggy know what’s been going on since he was put down and update you all soon on both Zoey and I.

Hoping your Easter was full of healing!
Marie123

Reply with quote  #168 
Hello there, Sma. That's so funny that Ziggy slept on the dryer. My Roswell and Argento like to do that as well. Raven liked to lean against the heat vent when the furnace was going. Aren't black cats the funniest things?
I talk to Raven's urn every day, even patting it on the head and kissing it. I'm glad you kept Ziggys collar. It's good to have an outlet like that, and tell him about your day. I do the same. Don't rush yourself through the grieving. These things take time. Ziggy knows you love him, so take heart in that. It sounds like you two were close like Raven and I, and a bond like that will never be erased. He'll be with you as you start spring term, and I know that he'll be excited to hear what's going on day to day, just as always!
Take care now 🐱🐺
sma23

Reply with quote  #169 
Marie,

Funny thing is, Zoey loves to sit on the heater vent, even when it’s not super cold here. She has laid herself on the dryer before when it runs and honestly, it’s not her favorite spot as it was Ziggy’s, but she loves it the same.

I’m in the same boat as you. Every morning and night, I take a few minutes to get my words in, say what I want to tell him, and kiss his collar like he were still here. He enjoyed my kisses to his forehead and he always brushed his face against mine in return as his affection. Granted, his sister headbutts as well, but she, more or less, does it against my arms instead of my face like he did. Still warms my heart to know she still cares.

Your story about Raven, along with Bruce’s and his Chandler and Phoebe is what convinced me to write out my life with Ziggy and it’s proving to be immensly helpful as I haven’t heavily bawled my eyes out for a full day and a half now each time I think about him. Thank you for that!
Marie123

Reply with quote  #170 
You're so welcome, Sma. I'm glad we can can help. Raven always liked to give me nose kisses on my face (I called them "eewww kisses") and stand on my chest with her front feet. They sure have their personality quirks don't they? My other female cat Roswell has been my saving grace now, always seeking me out and wanting to be loved. I think she's a lot like your Zoey in that she's trying to bring comfort, but misses Raven as well. Sometimes they're so human it's a bit scary 😺🐱🐺
sma23

Reply with quote  #171 
Marie,

Interesting thing is that about 15 minutes or so after it was confirmed Ziggy was finally put down, the dog - Chewie - sensed something was wrong and came over to give me reassuring licks and kisses. I was still pouring my heart out, tears were fresh and running down my face and he just got himself up, came over, jumped up onto my legs and started giving me loving kisses, and I have to say, for a moment there, it really helped knowing he’d be there, even though Ziggy isn’t around anymore.

Right? It is scary they are human sometimes. Animal or human, they’re just amazing to be around. For the most part, Zoey seems to be, although confused, adjusting well. She now has all the space she could ever want and she’s enjoying it. I’m glad Roswell and your other kitty are coming to your side in Raven’s absence. I can definitely tell they know Raven isn’t there and are there to comfort you. And people say cats are awful. Ha.
Marie123

Reply with quote  #172 
So true! Cats are wonderful companions. And so smart. The first few days after Raven had to leave, little Roswell looked everywhere for her. It broke my heart. Even now I think she still wonders where she went, but at the same time I think she knows. Acc6tp folklore cats can see the other side, so maybe she can tell when Raven's back to say hi, or when I really need a kitty hug. They're so precious and intelligent! 🐱🐺
sma23

Reply with quote  #173 
Zoey did the same thing the day her brother had to be put down. I was told later at night that she searched their room and around the kitchen to figure out where he went. I personally think that she knew he’s gone somewhere, but she doesn’t have the why or how long it’s going to be. Eventually she’ll figure it out.

But she’s been enjoying her free time not being picked on or shoved off by her brother. To be truthful, Ziggy was kind of an idiot lol. He had done a few things that made me question his logic. But I can’t deny he was super sweet. Your kitties sound like loving animals. I’m glad you have them to comfort you and vice versa. I can understand “man’s best friend” for dogs and “girl’s best friend” for diamonds and all, but I was never a diamonds girl. For me, a cat is a girl’s best friend. I’m heartbroken by Ziggy having to have left, but I still have his sister and the dog to keep me company. It’ll be hard in the next coming months without him, but I do believe I can adjust.

Hoping it’s the same for you.
Marie123

Reply with quote  #174 
Yeah adjusting is about the word. We learn to function and go on, but our babies always are at the back of our mind. So special and so loved, never to be replaced 🐱❤
sma23

Reply with quote  #175 
Very true. But honestly, a small part of me wishes Ziggy were still alive, so that I could spend more time with him, but given how sick he was in his last few months, it’s safe to say there’s no need to keep the animal suffering by prolonging their life for who knows how long.

I learned sometime ago that he would have to be put down at some point. His health went downhill fast over the course of 2 days before he had to be put to sleep and it was painful to watch. I had hoped he would at least make it past Easter, but there was nothing we could do. I can only hope he’s free of the pain he’s had for so long. I miss you buddy.
Chandlers_Dad

Reply with quote  #176 
I really enjoyed reading about your cats' habits and quirks. They really have such distinct personalities.

India is more of a "chill" girl. For the most part, there isn't much about her I can make fun of, except maybe her insane love of shoes and the fact that she likes to claw at the floor outside of the litterbox after she has done her business.

Chandler had a few more traits. Hated, hated, hated wet food and people food. Wanted facial contact. Loved to nibble (not bite) my fingers. Wouldn't tolerate me standing up. Would cock his head like a dog if I asked him a question. And for some reason really paid attention to the theme from The Golden Girls.

And then there's Phoebe. Dear, sweet Phoebe, lol. Would only eat if she picked up the food with her paw, drop it on the floor, then eat it. Likewise, she scooped up water in her paw and then drank it. Would do a perfect meerkat pose when she heard or saw something different. For the longest time wouldn't lie down unless it was on newspaper. Could shoot way up in the sky to catch a fly... with precision, yet. If I was scratching her and she saw the hand that wasn't busy petting her, she'd swat at it to make me get busy with that one, too. Licked glass. And what a chatterbox... she would talk and talk and talk.

Love these babies of mine more than I can say.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Bruce
Marie123

Reply with quote  #177 
Lol Raven was a fly hunter too! She'd swat it out of the air and then eat it, licking her lips and looking at me as if saying "It's really good! You want one?" Mo was my chill cat. He liked to lie in the plate of wet cat food and eat, and I'd have to wash him off the big dunce. Their personalities are all so different. Things I wouldn't be able to stand in another human being are adorable in my animals. I always say that if my pets were humans they'd be the worst roommates ever! But it's their little quirks, even the annoying ones, that we miss so much, what made them, them. It's amazing what a big void is left, and how much we miss their silliness.
Sending my best to all of you this cold, dreary night 🐱🐺🌹
Chandlers_Dad

Reply with quote  #178 
Marie, Thanks for the hearty laugh you just gave me! I can just picture Mo in the food, lol. And yes, we wouldn't be so tolerant of others (including family, lol). And oh yes, what a void.
Marie123

Reply with quote  #179 
Lol you're welcome, Bruce! Yup he'd just lie there in the plate, dumping it all over creation and eating away. I think he was a pig in a former life. It was such a mess to clean up and him as well but I even miss that truth be told. I always call mine my bunch of weirdos. But then I'm a weirdo too (I talk to banana slugs!) so I guess it stands to reason. I miss all the laughs those two gave me, that's for sure 🐱❤🐺
sma23

Reply with quote  #180 
Bruce,

I laughed when you mentioned Chandler’s quirks such as hating wet food and people food and Phoebe’s being a chatterbox as well as licking glass. They sound like they had pretty interesting personalities. Ziggy was sort of the opposite. He didn’t mind wet food; it’s just that his stomach never felt full, despite us having to have fed him a large amount. People food... he did eat a fully cooked hot dog off the kitchen countertop one time. We had concerns, but he turned out fine afterwards.

I don’t think I’ve heard of a cat who held a deep fascination for glass, but Ziggy definitely shared her chatterbox trait as he and I had long talks. I always picked him up into my arms, move to the back door leading to the backyard, and he immeidately starts purring and looking outside, chattering and thumping his tail loudly whenever a bird appeared. He loved to talk. He really did.

Zoey, for some reason, likes to wash her paws in her water bowl; she does it even with the dog’s own bowl.

India sounds like a chill mom, lol. She sounds like an amazing cat. I’m glad you have her with you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.