Jowsi
2014 was a hard year for me. I lost a few childhood pets, along with my 5 year old cat. They were at my parent's house, so somehow it was a little easier to grieve...easier, that is, compared to my most recent loss. I had visited a relative's farm and they wanted to show me their 4 day old bunnies. Upon looking in, they were in rough shape! I had to cut them free from the matted wool they were in, both person and mother were not taking care. One of the babies was mere moments from death, but I was just in time to save him. I worked quickly to free him from the now strings around his swollen neck and leg, then got him in a safe place to rest while dealing with the others, and getting mom to nurse them. The swelling subsided and he was ok. I brought him home with me that night and bottlefed him, the next day he was so full of life! He also seemed to know I meant safety and mom, because he would actively crawl to find me if he could or cry for me if I left, and would sleep soundly in my hand. I was starting to look forward to giving him a great life, a reward for fighting death with me! And so young! But, not so. This morning I woke very early with a pit in my belly, I flew to his cage, pulled his little pouch out and reached inside for him, feeling something was wrong. And it was. He was cold and very wet, I think he had peed while in there. He was gasping for air, I worked quickly to try to come up with a plan, but at 5 am, I was drawing a blank. I grabbed a heating pad, some paper towels and some fleece fabric and laid him down, started rubbing his chest while trying to find a vet, or someone to help, but to no avail. He passed 45 minutes after I had found him. I am so heartbroken, and angry! He should have had a good life, there was no reason to loose this tiny little creature. I feel like I cannot process this loss. It hurts terribly. I'm mad at my relatives for not being more attentive and having an "oh well" attitude, they are bringing these lives into this world, they should be more responsible! but I'm also angry with myself, did I overcare for him?! I think my eagerness played a part, maybe I overfed him? I don't know. I am angry that I don't know how to care for a little baby, and that in an emergency I feel like I failed. I am so torn inside, I am doubting myself, and I want this little bunny back to life! I feel I can't handle anything more, because of all of this, I'm questioning myself as a pet mom, and as a pet groomer. what a terrible way to start the new year. I am so sorry I failed you little bunny.
Quote 0 0
patent123
I'm sorry... I believe you really gave it your all and gave this bunny a chance which how this story started out he wouldn't have had otherwise.  Your right people should take FULL responsibility for the animals they keep/breed.  Sadly that isn't always the case and people like yourself try to pick up the pieces.  You can't blame yourself for his death though.  There could have been some hidden health issue that led to the death that was unknown to you.  Animals especially baby animals easily get sick or are born with something wrong.  You really shouldn't blame yourself.  I don't think there is such a thing as overcaring for an animal...you fed him, gave him a safe and warm bed...its sad what happened but really I don't believe his death was brought on by a mistake you made sometimes things just happen that are out of our hands.  I know your sad right now but had you not came to the rescue when you did things could have ended in a much worse way.  The bunny at least had the comfort of finding someone who truly loved and cared about his well being.
Quote 0 0
Emmylou
This is so sad but please remember this is in no way your fault. Whilst this little babies life was so short you changed it for the better and gave it love and care and happiness which is all anyone needs. It was short and sweet and that is all thanks to you. You should be so proud of yourself for being a wonderful, caring person. x
Quote 0 0
Jowsi
Thank you both for your kind words. I'm starting to come to terms with his passing, and that it was out of my control. It's still difficult, but I just hope that the little guy understood I tried my best for him, and that I still wish he was still here. I only had him for a short time, but I still care a lot about him.
Quote 0 0