Forum

Author   Comment  
Living_with_tragedy

Reply with quote  #1 
This is a story of a little girl who had a lot to live for, but her life was cut very short.  Her name was Angel. She was a sweet little Angel.  A beautiful little girl.  She was only a puppy.  Part Dachshund and part Chihuahua. Sweet and innocent. 

It is believed she was born somewhere in Louisiana because that's where she was thrown from a moving car when she just was a puppy.  It was a horrible thing to witness, but someone was able to take Angel to a vet so they could try to save her.  Being part Chihuahua, and still so young, she still had her soft spot on her head that was possibly still open and most likely suffered damage from this heinous act.  She was treated and sent to a shelter. She appeared to be holding her own and maybe would make it through this horrific crime.  She eventually made her way up to a rescue where I volunteered.  A nice family adopted her. At first she appeared to be doing well, but then she had trouble with her gait, and didn't seem right. It was determined her brain may have been damaged. The family gave her back to the rescue so they could get treatment for her.

I met this little girl.  She was adorable.  She had to wear a little diaper. She was give medications to try to get her better.  I couldn't let her stay kenneled.  I volunteered to foster her. I took her home to meet my own 3 adopted fosters, all males (Parker was one them. He passed away tragically last winter).  My boys loved her.  I thought maybe socialization could help her. I wanted to help her get better.  

She had some good days, but then the bad days followed. She began to regress.  Sometimes she would be confused. Her eyes were glassy. She would stumble and go in circles. I could see she was not doing as well as I hoped.  She had many bad days. Falling down, and wailing and crying at all hours of the day and night.  She was confused and her brain was not working properly.  It was unfair anymore to let her live like this. The rescue owner, our vet, and I came to the conclusion that Angel would be suffering and would not make it. I wanted so badly for her to live a normal life. It would never. She was too brain damaged.  

The rescue owner and I brought her to our vet.  It was the last night we saw Angel.  Our vet reluctantly put Angel out of her pain and misery and put her to sleep.  I waited outside with the rescue owner.  We cried so hard and for so long. We must have been there for a couple of hours, crying, and crying, and crying.  I will never forget that evening. 

We cried for Angel.  No one else.  I have often thought about that little girl and the devastating events she endured.  I prayed for her.  She is at peace.  I miss her.  I kept her little collar.

I hope this story is an inspiration to you to find it in your heart to foster a needy pet, even if it is for a short while so they can feel loved during their last moments here, such as with Angel. I gave her as much love as I gave to my own dogs.  I wanted her last days to be happy for whatever she could understand.

I've attached some pics of this delightful little sweetie.  

Rest in peace, Angel. I think about you often.  I will see you again. 

My dear Parker, please take care of Angel and keep her good company.

202Angel30pct.jpg  
199Angel25pct.jpg  
P1010204Angel25pct.jpg  
P1010209Angel25pct.jpg
anang

Reply with quote  #2 
Your story of Angel is so touching and eloquently written. She was a beauty! You did an amazing thing and gave her hours and hours of peace and love. You brought happiness into her life. You are a special and wonderful person for fostering animals. That is a task that is selfless and requires compassion and understanding.
Your story brings me back to something that I keep seeing on this amazing forum. Animals are so forgiving. Your Angel was thrown out of a moving car by some horrible, despicable human being, yet she continued to love and trust. Animals are walking Angels.
Thank you for sharing pictures of Angel.
Your post is very important. Thank you!

-Katie 

Reply with quote  #3 
That is a wonderful, loving story.  Angel probably would not have been fostered by many people because of her problems.  Those are the fur babies who need loving care the most and it is wonderful that you gave it to her.  I hope that at some point in the future you will be emotionally able  to take in others like Angel.   It is a hard thing to do, especially if it is likely that you will have to deal with another loss relatively soon.  But the need is so great and there are so few people like you who will do it.

Reply with quote  #4 
Your story has moved me. I adopted a stray from the neighborhood, he was rough as but very sweet and hungry. After feeding him for a while I took him to the vet, they found a chip and turns out his owner lived around the corner. She said that Simba ran off and that was that. But she saw him many times when walking to the station I could not Fatham how a person takes a pet in and then discards them like that, no guilt even though she could see him living on the streets.
We took him in knowing he was very old. I think a degree of denial set in as he didn't seem old, we thought we would have so much time with him. He was with us for 10 months. Glorious months. Heartbreaking now. I think about how am I going to go forward. His passing shows me how unprepared I am for mortality. I am scared for all my loved ones now, are they safe? Are they taking care of themselves? Are they doing everything they can to be with me as long as they can?
I had a moment when I said I will not have another pet. But Simba was discarded. There are others that are too. It's horrible. I want to start with short term fostering, so I can at least get homes for the homeless.
I am trying to learn to cope with this inevitable fate of life. If I can do this, I can be strong for those who can't be strong themselves. I can be there for another Simba, or maybe even an Angel. What you do is incredible and I am in awe of you.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG-20190817-WA0005.jpg (122.26 KB, 3 views)

Living_with_tragedy

Reply with quote  #5 
Wishing upon a rainbow

gods rainbow (2)smaller.jpg 

Living_with_tragedy

Reply with quote  #6 

They Will Not Go Quietly

They will not go quietly,
the pets who’ve shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
their spirit still survives.

Old habits still can make us think
we hear them at the door
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place
the food dish used to be,
And, sometimes, coming home at night,
we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends
and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our hearts
belongs to them…
and always will.

Unknown

1234_5

Reply with quote  #7 
This is beautiful and so true ❤️ 💗
Living_with_tragedy

Reply with quote  #8 

He Was Just My Dog

By Unknown Author

He was my other eyes that could see above the clouds;
my other ears that heard above the winds.
He was the part of me that could reach out into the sea.

He had told me a thousand times over that I was his reason for being;
by the way he rested against my leg;
by the way he wagged his tail at my smallest smile;
by the way he showed he hurt when I left without taking him along
(I think it made him sick with worry because he was not along to care for me).

When I was wrong, he was delighted to forgive.
When I was angry, he clowned to make me smile.
When I was happy, he was joy unbounded.
When I was a fool, he ignored it.
When I succeeded, he bragged.
Without him, I am only another person.
With him, I was all powerful.

He was loyalty itself.
He had taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I knew a secret comfort and a private peace.
He had brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee could heal my human hurts.
His kisses on my tears washed away my bad feelings.
His presence by my side was protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.   

He had promised to wait for me…whenever…wherever…in case I need him.
And I expect I will — as I always have — he was just my dog.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.