Leahbeahis Show full post »
patent123
In 2007 I read this pretty pathetic book that involved a single girl who rescued this boring basset hound named Fred.  After reading this book I fell in love with this Fred and decided I wanted a basset hound.  I had zero experience with the breed but they were a big dog in a small dogs body which I kind of liked.  A year passed I was away at college and I still had this idea in my head I needed to find my basset hound.  I searched shelter websites constantly but never came across ANY BASSET HOUNDS in our area.  Finally one day my roommate approached me and said as my birthday present he would be paying for an adoption fee so I could go get my dog.  I told him I hadn't found my basset yet but we agreed to go look we might find someone else that I loved. I checked the shelters site before we left and still nothing.  So we hoped in a cab and started our journey into the city.  When we got out and I started to walk towards the shelter building they have HUGE glass windows that let you see right into the shelter and all the dog cages.  Thats when I locked eyes with this psycho basset hound going completely insane in her cage.  Once I saw her I knew so I ran down the side walk and into the building and straight to her cage.  Thats when I was smacked upside the face when I saw her "ADOPTED SIGN" on her cage.  I was devastated to see that she was already spoken for.  I asked the workers if I could still get her out but I was told No she was adopted.  I decided to visit with other dogs and give the day a chance...I might find one I connected with.  After seeing a few dogs all of which were great I kept going back to my adopted basset hound. I finally decided I wasn't going to just settle for any dog...I was going to fight for my dog.  I convinced my roommate to look around the shelter to see if he could find whoever was planning to adopt my girl.  I had it in my head I was going to give them a big speech about how I was a better option if that failed I would slip them a $20...something ANYTHING.  After a long time my roommate finally came to me and said your basset hounds back up for adoption.  I quickly filled out the forms and got her out for the first time ever....I should mention I asked for the adoption application before I even touched her.  I knew from the moment I saw her it was meant to be.  She wasn't into me much during our visit.  She was FULL of energy going crazy and she reeked of pee! I spent the rest of the day taking Cabs around the city tracking down a landlord to get approval and finally at the end of the day went in and picked up my new basset hound that they called Lilo.  I was told she was left there because the family was moving.  So I paid my $50 adoption fee, changed her name to Fairchild, and walked out with my new dog into the crazy city of Chicago.  I had no idea how we would get home I didn't have a car and animals weren't allowed on public transportation.  Lucky for us the first cab I got agreed to let her in.  She jumped in and climbed onto the back seat and just sat there panting away completely content like she knew her wait was over.  She was incredibly naughty at first but she was only around 1 year old at that time.  My neighbors instantly fell in love with her and would often come steal her while I was at work or knock on our door to see if she could come over and watch tv with them.  She also learned how to escape our yard and could often times be found running loose in the bar next door :/ (oops) after some time she mellowed out, we moved to a different state, she got older and became the most well behaved dog I have ever met.  She was my best friend, my first "love at first site", and my first broken heart.  She got me through some horribly rough times and made my good times even better. 
Quote 0 0
Julia_Loves_McCartney
Dalidog and Qbert, thanks for your kind words about McCartney.

It was nice to read all these stories!

Patent123, very interesting story! I'm glad you found love at first sight with Fairchild.

~I love you eternally, McCartney boy~

You can visit my kitty McCartney's Rainbow Bridge Memorial here: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/residents/MCCAR001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
MuchasMom
I had just moved in with my then-boyfriend (now husband). He worked a lot of late hours, and often traveled, so we decided to get a cat so I wouldn't be all by myself so much. So in June we went to our local shelter to look at kittens - the first ones I saw was a litter of 4 or 5, all a mix of white and grey. They brought all of them out for us to a visiting room where we could play with them. They were all so sweet, and seeing them play together we decided we needed to get two, so that they could be friends. 

The first one we noticed though wasn't like the others. Amongst the white and grey, there was one leggy dark tabby, slightly bigger than the rest. He was so excited to be out of the little cage that he ran all over the room, bouncing and happy, often running right into walls and the legs of the chairs. He made us laugh so much, we decided we had to take him home. The staff people told us that someone had left him all by himself in the lobby of the building - to think somebody went to the trouble to bring him here, but didn't take the time to hand him to someone! So they put him in with this litter as they were about the same age.

When it came to picking his brother, I chose the little boy that seemed friendliest, he crawled up on my lap as I sat on the floor, and I loved his little grey nose. We brought them both home and they were best friends from the start. They ran and played and slept together, and remained best friends and best brothers for 10 years. The dark boy, who we named Barsten, turned out to be part Maine Coon, and has continued to make us laugh all these years, such a character. And of course the little boy with the grey nose was my Mucha, my angel. Little did we know that, though they were small at the time, they would both grow up to be very large cats. Barsten is a very fit 16 lbs, and Mucha was just over 20 lbs (he was a little overweight, he loved to eat! but he was also a very large bodied cat, his ideal weight would have been around 16 or 17 lbs). It always amazes me to think of how fate brought them to me - that they were at the shelter because somebody didn't want them, yet they grew to be the best, sweetest cats, my boys.

[image] 

image1.JPG
Quote 0 0
Julia_Loves_McCartney
Muchasmom,

Adorable story! I love the picture, they are cute beyond words!

~I love you eternally, McCartney boy~

You can visit my kitty McCartney's Rainbow Bridge Memorial here: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/residents/MCCAR001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
Emmylou
My story is a bit similar to one above. My partner works away a lot and I was a bit lonely so we decided to get a kitten. As soon as we decide I couldn't stop looking online at different rescue centres. As soon as I came across Freddie's pictures I fell totally in love and went to see him literally 3 hours later! The lady handled him to be and he clung on to my jumper, looked up directly into my eyes and did this little meow that sounded like a baby dinosaur and I remember choking up at how perfect he was. He purred and stayed leaning on my chest and he was so perfect. I put him down on the floor for 2 minutes while I got money out for the donation and in that time he broke open the door to the basket the other kittens were in and our other kitten Nooks ran straight out and started playing with him. It was as though he was breaking his little mate out to say look at him pick him too! They were rolling around and playing and I instantly said can we have them both?! So I was meant to get one and came home to my boyfriend with 2 beautiful boys.
When we got Freddie out of the basket he ran straight out and immediately into a glass door haha! He was so free and crazy he was instantly at home with us.
I now feel like he made sure I had Nooks cos he knew he didn't have long on this earth and wanted to make sure I wasn't alone when he was gone!
He was a beautiful boy and brought such joy into our lives. We got his ashes back today and whilst it feels surreal and horrible I am so glad he's home, in his favourite spot. Love you always my Freddie boy xx
Quote 0 0
jaschutz
We had just lost our family dog, Ashley, to cancer at the young age of 6. It tore our family up to lose a pet who was so young. I think about 2 months had passed since she was gone and our house just felt empty without a dog in it. We had gone back and forth about whether to get another golden retriever, because they have such health issues and are prone to cancer and we couldn't lose another dog to cancer like that. But we love goldens, they are so positive and lively and love every person they come into contact with. I remember when we went to the breeders house, there were only a few puppies left in the litter and we wanted another girl. When we met her, she was just so playful and jumped all over us. It seems like just yesterday she was that puppy. One of my most cherished memories of the day we brought her home is that instead of putting her in a box or crate on the car ride home (like we had with our last dog when we picked her up), I just held her in my lap on the ride home and she fell asleep wedged between my two legs. She was always the loving dog that she grew up to be. It's only been 2 weeks since she's been gone but it feels like it's been a lifetime. Yesterday, I got the alar,ing feeling like the entire 8 years we had her was all just a dream. My heart is broken without her.
Jamie

You can visit London's memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/LONDO001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
MuchasMom
Thank you Julia, I love that picture so much. It is both of them perfectly, even though they were only babies I see in it the kind of cats they grew up to be.

Emmylou, that is a very sweet story also! It does sound like Freddie was looking out for you. So many beautiful stories in this thread, it is amazing to see how fate brought us together with the cats and dogs we love so much.
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
Thank you all for sharing your stories. It's nice to see a bit of light in the midst of dark moments for us all.

Mloylo0182 - Lucy liked to be held that way too. Sebastian felt safe and loved close to your heart. What a sweetie!

Danzey - Your story of rescuing Boo is so endearing. Our babies were always perfect to us, no matter how they looked! Imperfections always made me love an animal even more, because they are not vain like humans. All they want is to be with you and feel love, and it's clear that Boo received that from you.

Julia_Loves_McCartney - McCartney is a cutie. You and your mom have big hearts to have rescued those kittens, thought you certainly got more out of it than you probably expected. I can imagine that McCartney has been through everything with you as your companion.

GrouchyGirl - Kramer and Emma seem like they got dealt some bad cards in life. It makes me happy to think that they landed a caring, loving, compassionate mom like you. It's these type of stories that warm my heart. When we bring that animal into our lives, we embark on a journey with them through life. Unfortunately we never feel we have enough time with them, but it was enough to teach us a little something about love.

Patent123 - I had to laugh at the thought of what Fairchild might've been like. She reminds me of Lucy and how Lucy acted when I was picking her up for the first time. Your fight for her was completely justified as you were obviously meant for each other. She sure showed you that there was more to her than what met the eye!

MuchasMom - I love that picture of Barsten and Mucha. They are so sweet together, best of friends. I'm also in awe at how some people can look at an animal and think that it's worthless when in fact they have more love to give than many humans could ever give. Their loss, your gain. Beautiful story, thank you for sharing.

Emmylou - Yes, maybe Freddie knew something you didn't. They are so adorable, and I bet they were very close. It does feel good to get the ashes of your baby back, even though it's not in the same form you last held them in. Show Nooks love in honor of dear, sweet Freddie.

Jaschutz - It's so hard to lose your baby and watch all of the physical signs that they were there disappear day after day. At some point, there will just be memories left. She is alive in you, because you will never forget her. If you believe that there is an afterlife for pets, rest assure she is there waiting for you. Eight years is too young but we cannot control how long we get to have them for. She is such a beautiful, gentle baby.

~ Leah
Quote 0 0
Siennia
I loved reading all the stories!

I got my Honey when she was 4 months old from the local Humane Society.  I had just had to put down my dog Chewie about a week before.  He had cancerous tumors on his head.  We had surgery to remove the first one, not knowing it was cancer at the time, and then soon found out it was.  The tumor started growing back rapidly and in numerous spots.  My heart was just broken over putting him down, but I knew I would know when it was the right time for him and I did that morning when he came to me crying in pain. 

I wasn't really planning on getting a dog so soon after losing Chewie but I took a peek on petfinder and I saw Honey, who was named Linda at the time.  It was love at first sight.  When I saw her picture I just said that's my dog and her name will be Honey.  I went to get her that day and my mom came with me as I was living with her at the time.  When I got the the caged area she was in she was laying in the back sleeping and wouldn't get up to come see me so I got nervous that she wasn't friendly.  One of the workers went inside and got her up and she licked my hand right away.  She was a hound dog mix and a lazy one at that!  She loved to sleep and wouldn't get up for hours after me sometimes, lol.  We took her outside and petted and loved on her a bit then filled out all the paper work and went on our way home. 

We had a van at the time and she pooped in the van on the way home which was a aweful when it happened but really makes me laugh thinking about it now.  We stopped at the pet store on the way home so I could get her some toys, food and treats. 

She didn't know how to play with toys, or even to go in and out the door.  Initially she chewed up most of her toys then at about a year old she stopped and for some reason the two toys I got her on the way she never did destroy, had them up to the end.  I wish I had some of them now but all I have is her collar, which I'm thankful for.  I taught her everything.  I was not working at the time I got her for a couple months so I got to bond really well with her and spend so much time with her while she learned.  She was a smart girl and learned things so easily.  She was really skinny when we got her but she filled out nicely and grew to a nice size of 65 pounds and was very tall and lanky looking.  She was a beauty, people would comment to me all the time at the vet or when we were out for a walk. 

She loved everyone she met and would be so excited when company came over but she listened so well and wouldn't jump on anyone she wasn't supposed to.  She was allowed to jump on me and my Aunt and she just knew it.  I miss her so much!  This was fun to share.
My dog did this amazing little thing, she existed, and made my whole life better for it. <3
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
Siennia,

What a great story about Honey! I find it interesting to read how owners and pets alike had made their choice. Honey was probably just nervous and that's why she pooped in the van. It's amazing how smart an animal can be. I bet she learned all kinds of tricks. Thank you for rescuing her and for opening your heart again after a loss. I enjoyed reading about Honey.
~ Leah
Quote 0 0