TannersMom
We made a shadow box for our precious Tanner. It has his leash, his collar and harness, his first sweatshirt, his first pair of pajamas, his tags, a lock of his hair, the Rainbow Bridge poem, his favorite treats and one of his socks. He used to chew on his feet, so we'd sometimes have to put socks on him. It's been 10 days he has been gone, but it feels like yesterday. I have cried every day. He had his own bathroom where we gave him his baths. I went up there this morning to clean it. BAD MISTAKE!!! I just held onto his bath towels, trying to smell him one last time and cried like a baby. It's so hard without him, and our home is so empty. My husband and I have each other, but it just isn't the same. Our life will never be the same again. I have tried to attach a picture of his shadow box. Hope you can see it.

I miss you so much my little man, and mommy's heart aches for you. I hope you are healthy and happy in your new surroundings (and being nice to all the other pets). Can't wait to see you again one day. Until then, Grandpa will take good care of you.
Susan (aka: TannersMom)
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Susan, so very sorry on your loss of Tanner, you are only 10 days in so your grief is so very raw. We lost our beautiful dog Jim just over 8 weeks ago - we`ve no kids so he was our baby - and the first few weeks were unbearable. I`ve now accepted he`s no longer here, but he and Tanner will now be enjoying a different life over the Bridge, and we will see them again someday.
 I just wish we could have so much longer with our animals, its so unfair they have to leave us, but we have to try and remember that we gave them the best lives while they were with us. And I love the shadow bow, I`ve never seen one before - great idea.

Hugs Jackie. x

J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
I am sorry you were in tears over Tanner again and wish I could tell you that will stop soon, but it hasn't for me and I am almost at 10 weeks for my Molly.  I too have a husband, but it just isn't the same-----sorry if a husband somewhere is offended by that, not trying to hurt anyone.  I think my husband feels the same way about me.  The bond I had with Molly goes beyond anything that I can even describe.  Your Shadowbox is a lovely tribute to Tanner and I know it brought tears to assemble that.

I put Molly's very little box of ashes in a drawer between our chairs where we have morning coffee, along with her TREASURE's, her collar, her photo album and the condolence cards we got.  She is there with Patches our kitty of 20 years that we lost years ago.  Then I put this on top of the table and the angel lights up at night.  I think everyone here has some sort of "memorial" place going, I have heard of several and all of them are beautiful and do help a little anyway.  No way could I just "get rid" of everything especially the things SHE loved so much.  They are tattered and torn but show how much she cared for them.  Both of these she had from a puppy and she arranged them every morning to suit herself, I did NOT put them like this for the picture.
       !cid_6D84E69260964CF6BFC62B29F9B18B79@Carl.jpg  treasurers.JPG 
janice
Quote 0 0
TannersMom
I know my husband is grieving as well, and my heart hurts for him. However, my grief is so deep that I just can't be there for him. I feel bad, but I have to say, this was worse than losing my father. I have never felt this kind of pain. I feel silly, but after reading some of the stories on this forum, I don't feel silly at all. I feel normal! I have to laugh at the poop stories. I thought I was being weird, but I have yet to get rid of a bucket of Tanners poop in those little pick up bags. I can't bring myself to get rid of them either. I have been reading a lot on here, trying to understand why it is so devestating for me, and I am certain it is because the love of a pet is truly unconditional. I have never felt that before. I suspect that because the love was so deep and pure is why the grief is so great. I had Tanners photo put on a canvas for my husband. We put it up over the weekend, but had to take it back down. Guess we aren't ready for that.

Thank you to everyone who posts their stories on this forum. They have truly been a sense of relief in some way to me, and I am so thankful for you all. It's just one day, and sometimes one hour at a time from this point on. ❤️
Susan (aka: TannersMom)
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Hi Susan, I`m so glad you are finding it helpful being on this forum. I felt exactly the same, when we lost Jim I really thought I was losing my sanity, then I found this site and realised there are so many of us all going through this terrible grief. Most friends and family just do not realise how very close we are to our animals, I even had one person - someone I considered a good friend - say to me 2 days after we lost Jim `Just go and get another dog`.  I also felt worse losing Jim than when I lost my dad, it really is so intense, the love we have for them.     Just keep taking it one day at a time. 
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
susan, what a truly beautiful way to honor your tanner in the shadow box.  grief is an emotion none of us can control and i can tell you that there are still a few areas of the home here where roxie loved to rest that i simply have not had the heart yet to clean - and i too keep trying to smell any remainder of her scent in her blankets, my comforter where she laid each and every night and even my chair throws.  all the years roxie was here that i used febreeze to clean the scent from the sofa and now i'm trying to find it anywhere possible just to in some small way bring my girl back to me...if only for a brief sniff, two or three.  one of the worse acknowledgements we eventually are forced to admit is that our lives will never be the same without our beloved companion.  earlier today i myself had to make this admission but i added that just because my life won't be the same doesn't mean it has to be horrible or spent grieving - roxie, tanner, jim or molly would never want that for us!   they lived with so much joy and zest for their lives and expected the same for us...rather they do expect the same for us since their spirits still are around us.  these past 8 weeks for me have been spent between crying and living in a fog like existence most of the time and today for some reason the crying has subsided (somewhat, not entirely), smiles when talking to roxie and thinking of her taking the place of tears and the zombie fog lifted.  my heart feels lightened and all i can think of is how much roxie and i loved each other, how we were compatriots in life and that i learned so much from a beautiful black-tri color Australian shepherd who lived life fully.  my wish for all of you here is that you can experience what i have today.  we have not said "goodbye" to our dear friends at all...rather just a "see you later when i get there".  many many hugs to all of you.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0