Tankie12
2007, the morning after Thanksgiving- I went to the shed that morning to start bringing in the Christmas decorations. Walking across the plywood floor I started to hear crying noises. Thought of possums, we have them here, I’ve seen them young and old. Harmless, I don’t mind them. Brought a load in and when I was walking toward the shed something fought my eye a few feet from the shed, wild rabbit brown the size of a lrg guinea pig. Damn! That young shepherd had her puppies under our shed. She’d been running the grove next to us for a few months, I watched her daily, knew she was about 6 months, super shy, and I saw the males hang, her wt gain but why the hell under our shed?! I brought her inside and said Tommy husband “ look what that shepherd dropped off?!” I was ticked, irresponsible owners letting her run, not spaying her and now look?! I placed her back under and kept away hoping mom would come back for her. I waited, and waited. Hour later I went back out and guess what not only had she crawled back out but their was another! Crap, I went and bought a back of puppy food for mom, if she wasn’t going to move them she’d need nutrition for herself to feed them. I’d been a vet tech for 15 yrs and bottle fed my share of kittens and they are no fun. Now my mission was to encourage her to get back here and feed these pups. They were old enough to be dry but their umbilical cords were still wet so they were only hours old. And hungry. I waited 6 hrs for her to come back to care for them. She came back over and over, to eat the puppy food. Never showed any interest in them. So I went and bought some Esbilac, puppy replacement milk and picked up a couple of real baby bottles, they were to big for what the pet store had. The girls, as they were called, drank like pros. They ate, slept and grew like crazy. They were soo easy. Many times throughout these years I’ve thought of how I wished they hadn’t weaned themselves at 2 wks, they were that easy, and fun. Tankie got her name because she was such a broadchested puppy when she took her first steps she looked like a tank. They were the best, having 2 at the same time is much easier than one. They have each other, they’ve comforted and played with each other happily every day of their lives. They brought me such joy. Tankie and I seemed to have a special bond. She was my shadow, I was her Mom. My daughter wanted her sister named Brownie, I compromised and went with Browns, heard the name Brownie way to many times working over the yrs.
At 5 Tankie came in the bathroom one morning and the sun hit her eye and it had a green glow. She had lymphoma. Every lymph node was enlarged. The Vet shook my husbands hand and said ‘ I’m so sorry’ we went home and waited for the lab results to confirm. When another Vet called he asked us to come right in. He suggested Chemo, if we did it we had to do it ASAP. We did. Tankie had to be lifted into the truck for her first Chemo she was that weak. ONE day of treatment and I kid you not she was like a new dog. Chemo reacts in dogs very differently than people, no gasto upset, no hair loss. But she was truly remarkable. She began her by weekly treatments (3 total) at 117 lbs and never lost. We knew this would give her some time maybe a yr., but she deserved it. She died Jan 3 rd, this yr and not from a reaccourance of cancer. She died of acute renal failure from Hurricane Irene. She developed a severe UTI because my perfect girls wouldn’t pee inside while we were locked up in this house during the storm. I didn’t know she was I’ll till it was to late, the infection traveled up to her kidneys and caused irreversible damage. I let her down,
She stayed by my side during my illness, months on the couch, months in a wheelchair, she always stayed by my side. While I was learning to walk again she would remain calm if I had to step over her she would stay so still. Sponge baths and her head was right there at the bathroom door, calmly waiting.i don’t believe we truly deserve dogs, they are a gift of unconditional love. I can honestly say the closeness I felt to her I’ve never felt with a person. She died at home, where she was born. I had almost 2 hrs after, to spend with her, love on her, talk to her, breathe her sent in. The day she died I had 5 things I’ve looked back on and been thankful for. Well, she woke up and I was always grateful for another day, she had a pretty good day, we went for a walk and than later just her and I went for a walk, alone. She had a meal with her sister from the same bowl like they always did, until I had to feed them differently. I gave her a whole piece of cheese that night a no no on her diet, but I had to hid a pill she needed and just thought “screw it” and gave it to her anyway. She almost smiled. Lastly she fell asleep, she never woke up. Some of the things a body does after the heart stops, gasping for air after an alarming cry are horrible, just horrible to watch but physically her heart had stopped and she was dead. I held her head next to mine until the agonal breaths were over. It was quick. I had been praying so much to St Francis, I saw her leap in his arms, she was home
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Sooz
(((Lynn))))),
Thank you so much for sharing Tankie's story. St. Francis is taking care of her for you, until you are together again, never more to part.
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
Snowfire
What two beautiful souls your story was about. You and Tankie. I didn't know on the body reaction as none of my family died at home except my mom in my arms. You were such an Angel to take care of these pups and give them a great chance at life. Tankie slipped peacefully with your fantastic love after a wonderful life with you. So sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
What a wonderful dog! I am so glad you wrote your story of Tankie here. I'm so grateful she was in your life and could be such a support while you were ill and had such a long, arduous recovery. She sounds like such a gift to you, and I realize all these things make losing her even more difficult and painful. Warmest thoughts and hugs to you, Lynn. May comfort surround you like a blanket!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
You are so kind! You are suffering but able to reach out and show such compassion to others. I hope someday I can do the same. I’ve just started ready the book. ‘ The loss of a pet’ the author has a Ph. D. in pet bereavement 🤞
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Snowfire wrote:
What two beautiful souls your story was about. You and Tankie. I didn't know on the body reaction as none of my family died at home except my mom in my arms. You were such an Angel to take care of these pups and give them a great chance at life. Tankie slipped peacefully with your fantastic love after a wonderful life with you. So sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Thank you, she was the best. Hopefully I don’t have to write her sisters story for quite awhile💛
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Sooz wrote:
(((Lynn))))),
Thank you so much for sharing Tankie's story. St. Francis is taking care of her for you, until you are together again, never more to part.
Quote 0 0
msweet13
Dearest Lynn - Thank you so much for sharing Tankie's story. What a precious girl!! Lynn--please do not think that you let her down.  What I read was a beautiful story of unconditional love--both from Tankie to you--and you to Tankie!! There is nothing greater than that!! I wish you peace and comfort.
Denise (Brutus' Mom)
Brutus von Dolce
06/19/2006 - 03/16/2018
RIP my sweet beautiful boy
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Thank you. I will always cherish her💛
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Thanks, I wish I could have been more active, physically in her life while she was healthy and young. My back sx in 2010 limited so much. We head just started jogging togather. Now I’m so much better and she’s gone
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Sooz wrote:
(((Lynn))))),
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Thank you for reading Tankie’s story, for the words of support and encouragement, Sooz, Catibee, mysweet13, snowfire, may we all find our days of more sweet memories to make us smile. I do believe her spirit is still alive and is watching over me💛
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I never mentioned that I found the owner of Tankie’s mother. The girls were about 4 months old and she was pregnant again. They weren’t the only puppies she had, when I questioned this person he told me when they got back from their ‘Thanksgiving getaway’ they found several dead puppies in their yard. He offered to take my girls, really??!!
Quote 0 0