DanielsMom
We lost our beloved boy on Tuesday. In six days he went from seemingly normal to hopeless. An MRI confirmed the worst - a malignant brain tumor. We never woke him from the anesthesia. He was only 8.
I am angry that he was taken so young. I am hollow. There is such an ache in my heart. I feel as if I will never stop sobbing. He was "the dog of my heart," as my friend put it, and I feel such a sharp sadness and longing to just turn back time.
You will vilify me but right now I read about the people who are grieving who had their pets into old age and I think how I would have done anything to see him grow old. All grief is valid and I would be torn apart to lose him if he'd been 50; I know that. I'm just hurting.
Quote 0 0
AliceM
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Cali at age 7 yesterday after being at the vet's for 6 days. It is a heartbreaking loss no matter the age. I don't think anyone will vilify you. Again, so sorry.
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
Hi Daniel's Mom,
I am so sorry that you are going through this overwhelming grief and pain after saying goodbye to your beautiful boy. I know the heartache that you are describing because I am living it too.
I understand the depth of feelings that you have for him and the description "dog of my heart" is exactly how I feel about my girl, Bella, who I said goodbye to 11 months ago, at the age of 9.  She also lost her battle with a brain tumour.
The only consolation that I can find in this despair, is that we are grieving this deeply because we loved and were loved so completely. We were truly blessed to have our furbabies in our lives.  It was a privilege.
When you are feeling up to it, I would love to see a photo of your sweet boy.  I like to see who my beautiful Bella is playing with at Rainbow Bridge.
I wish you peace and healing.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
DanielsMom
Thank you, Karen and Alice. It truly helps to know I am not alone in feeling this way. They leave such giant holes in our hearts. I've tried to tell myself that maybe these beloved pets who die too young just had all of the love they needed. Keeping Bella and Cali in my thoughts.
Quote 0 0
Bellamum
I hope that your theory is right...I would love to think that I loved Bella so much that she felt that she could leave and my love would sustain her until we are together again.  It is a nice thought.  All we want is to know that we gave them all the care and the love that they could have wanted and that there is nothing more we could have done to be a better parent to them.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
JaspersMom
DanielsMom, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved boy, and I so understand how you feel about missing out on so many years with him. My dear cat Jasper, who I love with all of my heart, was taken from me so suddenly at the young age of seven, due to a suspected brain tumor, and I was in utter disbelief to see him go from his strong and vibrant self to so very sick in just a matter of days. Oh how I would have loved to  have more precious time with him, but it was just not meant to be. To this day, I still feel cheated out of so many special moments with my sweet baby, and I suppose I always will.

No matter at what age we have to say goodbye to them, it is devastating, but when they are so young and so full of life, well it just seems so unfair and so very wrong. I remember the first days after losing my beautiful boy, how I kept thinking to myself, this is just not right, something is very wrong here, he was way too young to lose his sweet life, my heart hurt, my soul hurt, and I was so very broken. I try now to focus on those wonderful seven years we were together, and how much love and light he brought into my world, but it took some time for me to get to that place.

I would not trade one singe moment with my sweet boy to avoid the incredible pain and sorrow of losing him, and I am so thankful he came into my life, and he is still so very close to me, I feel his presence all around, and I have even found him in my dreams. They are not really that far away after all, and the special connection we have with them can never ever be broken. You are in my thoughts and I wish you peace and comfort in the days ahead, and again I am so very sorry, and know how much you are hurting. Your sweet boy may be gone from your sight right now, but he will never  leave your heart, he is there always and forever.
Pamela Lynne Crawford
Quote 0 0
DanielsMom
Wow, JaspersMom, you hit it exactly on the head. Same scenario, same shock, same disbelief. Daniel had developed a cough and he seemed a bit "off." We attributed it to the cough; the vet said bronchitis. A day later his head was tilting. A day later he disappeared behind his eyes (that is the best way I can describe it) and couldn't navigate the hallway. A friend is a neurologist; I know there is no cure for a glioma. But I think of all of the time I wasted through the years that I could have spent walking him. I know we gave him the best life possible, but there is so still anger at the time I wasted. I'd gone to the outlet malls a few weekends ago. What a waste of time. We are picking up his ashes today. This sounds nuts but until they cremated him there was this tiny hope he might still be here somehow. I so very much appreciate the time you took to write and to comfort me in your time of grief. I hope to turn that corner and be a help to someone rather than a taker.  Nicole
Quote 0 0