JaneS
We adopted two young male cats a year ago. They’d never met before, and quickly became inseparable. I’ve never known two cats EVER to be such best friends.

Last night one of them dropped dead. He had no known health problems, and had been his usual playful self all day. I was sitting on my bed and he ran into the bathroom. He often goes in there to play with the shower curtain so I didn’t think anything about it. But then he made a strange noise. I got up to check and found him lying on the floor, struggling to breathe. I called for my husband and tried to talk soothingly, stroking his back and chest. He’d stop breathing, then make that noise again, and then stopped altogether. He was gone, and I have no idea why. I’m guessing it was his heart.

He was only two years old. We as a family are heartbroken. We’ve lost so many pets to cancer or old age, but never, ever like this.

Our surviving cat was there and sniffed his best friend’s lifeless body. He did it again when we put him in a box. I was hoping he’d understand to some extent what had happened. He’s eating fine, playing occasionally, bathing the same amount, but doesn’t seem to be using the litter box. He walks around the house, pausing in the places they used to play or groom each other, sometimes calling for him. It’s that part of this loss we as humans can hardly bear. He’s not much older. We’ve tried to keep routines the same, but I know he’s seeing us grieve, too. How can we help him? And how do we deal with this ourselves? We are going through some major life stressors anyway, so this has been especially devastating:(
Quote 0 0
Leathur
I lost a cat many years ago who died very quickly. One minute he was running around and the next he appeared to be in a seizure. 30 minutes later he passed away in my arms. I believe he was in a coma during those 30 minutes and I have no idea what might've caused him to collapse like he did. I will never know, but I was grateful it happened quickly. Whatever pain he may have felt when "it" happened was very brief.

I had another cat who helped me immensely during my grieving period, so give your surviving cat all the love and attention you can. Perhaps if/when all of you are ready you might want to adopt another furbaby...

Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
I’m so sorry, that’s terrible and heartbreaking. Hugs to you.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Lfc7118
JaneS,
My boy Tomas was 2 1/2 years old when he went missing almost 2 months ago. I was told he was hit by car, but I could never find him. I know that a cat was killed but I do not know for sure that it was truly him. He showed up to my house a little over a year ago and had decided to stay. He was the first cat my little girl cat Ruby ever truly played with so I decided to make him part of our family. It has been so hard watching her walk around the house looking for him. I feel like she misses him but I will never know. I play with her every day and shower her with love any time she wants it. I want her to know that I love her so much since it is the only thing I can do to ease her pain.
For me I am still grieving and not sure how to move onto the next part of the grieving process. I still find myself crying at different times of the day. It is a slow process, but I have been glad to have this forum so that I can talk to others who have experienced what I have and are able to talk to me about it and me with them. I am so sorry about your loss. You are in my thoughts.
Hugs,
Louetta
Quote 0 0