singingaway
Yesterday evening I got a sudden phone call from my sister, she was bawling and I was so startled. I got a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. The dog named Saya that we had raised when she was just barely 10oz by bottle feeding and staying up all night to make sure she lived, had died in a gruesome and horrible way after 8 years of being alive. Apparently a neighbors dog had somehow jumped the fence and got into the yard and killed our Saya. Please know, we don't just leave Saya out when we are at work, we have a dog door so she can use the bathroom when she needed. I couldn't believe this happened. I started to cry right away. I have lost pets before but for some reason this one is really hurting me. I was very close to Saya and really loved her.

I'm also hurting because I know my sister is hurting even more. She took Saya everywhere which is why when she got married I let her take Saya instead of leaving her with me. Hard choice, but I knew that I made the right one. Still, I babysat and took care of Saya as often as possible so it wasn't like I wasn't still her dog mom.

It was really hard to sleep last night I couldn't stop crying. I'm really tired and I know that this grief is actually affecting me physically so I felt the need to find some place to talk out my feelings to see if it would help. I'm lucky to have found this forum. It helps to write it out even if no one ends up reading. My stomach is in knots and I have a pounding headache but I'm trying to drink lots of water and nibble on stuff. It feels weird to be hurting this much but after reading other peoples stories I don't feel so alone. I know my sister is probably going to be feeling so much guilt over this. I'm hoping I can take a trip to her home this weekend and try to help out in anyway I can and to make sure she knows she didn't do anything wrong if she is feeling that she did.

I'm really going to miss Saya so much. 
Quote 0 0
CeeCeesMom
Hi, I'm so sorry for the loss of your and your sister's dog Saya.  Please accept my condolences.  As you know, it wasn't your fault and it wasn't your sister's fault.  Being on this forum really does help.  I hope in time, happy memories of Saya will outweigh thoughts of her last day.
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
A similar tragedy happened with me. Had raised a cat whose mother had died. Had raise him (named him Ballu) by feeding him milk from small syringes. He used to run all around me as i used to feed him. He was so small that he could hide and run through the spaces between my legs when i sat on the ground. He had grown well and was about 3.5yrs old now.
2 days bk i got a call from my brother that he found Ballu in a pool of blood mauled by a group of dogs. I rushed to find him dead. Couldn't even say goodbye. And the way he was mauled, the feeling that peace had nothing to do with it, horrifies me terribly. My brother told me, that even in his last moments Ballu responded bk when his name was called. He then just stretched his legs out and his struggles stopped. My brother wrapped him in his shirt. When i reached he was gone already. I just kept patting him and trying to lift his head to look at him. I have been a mess since..
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
singingaway:

My heartfelt condolences about your beloved dog Saya. No one did anything wrong. Sometimes these unfortunate accidents occur and it's horrible to have to deal with. Please comfort your sister and let her know she did nothing wrong. I hope you find some peace by posting here in this Forum. You are not alone.

Jim

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Dan:

My heart goes out to you over this very unfortunate incident. I've seen this happen many times. Several years back, I witnessed some pit bulls attack a lone dog. It was the most horrible thing that I'd ever seen. I went to the aid of the lone dog but couldn't pull the PB's off her. They were in this pack mentality and would not let go. We did manage to get the dog out of their clutches eventually and got the wounded dog medical attention. I don't know if she made it or not. I was never informed about the outcome. It just gave me such a sick feeling.  I hope you are able to find some peace by coming to this Forum. You are not alone.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
Thanks Jim
Quote 0 0
singingaway
Thanks for the replies. I finally found out that a pitbull puppy from the neighbors had dug under the fence to get in. My poor little chihuahua didn't stand a chance. The vet said it looked like it happened really fast so she didn't suffer much. I just cry thinking about it and how horrible she had to go. The thought of not being able to see her happy little face anymore breaks my heart. My sister and her husband are doing horribly with the situation. Her husband started to scream when he saw her dead outside and when my sister went to rush over to the neighbors to get their dog our of their yard she had fainted from the shock. People around the neighborhood all came out hearing the screams and called an ambulance. They did call the authorities that came and took the dog but they didn't press charges. My sister wanted to hate the other dog but knew it was just a stupid puppy who didn't know better, it was friendly to people. It just really sucks that this had to happen I still break down in tears from time to time and my stomach is so upset. It is really hard. She was to turn 8 in October. 

Dan, I'm really sorry you had to deal with something just as horrible. I feel for you.
19s.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
Thanks singingaway. Even my brother and my wife had dat feeling of hurtin those dogs who mauled Ballu. Yet, i never could agree with hurting em dogs, nor could i agree with the animosity that these species have against each other. All dats left is hurt. Payed my respects to his grave site today, and offered him sm flowers and his cat food. Remembering him and grief is all that i hv.
Quote 0 0
f_defillo1
My condolences to you all. I lost a dog 6 weeks ago and every day gets bit better, but still remember him very much. Rest assured you gave your pets all your unconditional love and attention. We all feel some kind of guilt in some way, but we can't control every circumstance out there, just do our best to protect and care for our pets. God bless and hope each day brings a bit more of hope and peace.
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
Thanks f_defillo. Sorry to hear dat u had to suffer the loss of ur beloved buddy. Its the companionship dat is missed and creates a huge hole in ur spirit. When i see his pictures i feel the way he sat in my lap just scratchin my jeans and tearin it up. The way i used to pet him, and all that just makes me break down. Time will pass by. Dont know if it will mk it okay or worse.
Quote 0 0
f_defillo1
I feel you Dan1984. Recently we were given a puppy by a friend. After 6 weeks of grieving we didnt feel we were ready yet, but this puppy had spent some time with our dog and we felt a connection there so we accepted. We dont feel we are ready for this puppy, but she has filled some void left by our other dog. She wont replace him for now, but makes it a bit easier with all the love she gives us. Take your time healing and processing the death of your pet and when you feel ready just open your heart to a new one. The new pet wont replace your buddy, but will make it bit easier. Just take your time to grieve. And make sure you also grieve with all the family members affected by this death so they can accept a new puppy when the time comes.
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
@f_defillo1. Nice to hear that you got her, and the fact that she had spent time with ur buddy, helps both u as well as ur new companion. Animals are much more intuitive and empathetic than humans. I sincerely wish that you heal and find solace. Take care.
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
It saddens me greatly to read about 
one animal attacking and then
killing a beloved pet.

Just too horrible for words except
that Iam so so sorry deeply in
my heart.
Quote 0 0