aconner24
Hi everyone,
I’m a new member here and just hoping I can find others to walk beside in this unique grief.
My husband and I got married in March. We’ve always loved and grown up with dogs but we live in a condo without a fenced in yard so we were very hesitant. We decided at the end of July to go to the shelter and play with a few dogs. We immediately connected with one and brought him home the next week. Champ was amazing in every way. He was 2. He was house trained, great on a leash and only wanted to cuddle. He was so incredibly loyal and sweet, he was quickly our baby. We knew our kids would love growing up with him.

About two weeks ago we noticed his stomach became enlarged seemingly overnight. We thought we just overfed him so we got that under control. A few days later we began to notice he was becoming more sluggish and then started peeing in the house, multiple times a day. We took him to the vet and were told he had low protein so they gave meds and high-protein food. The next morning he began vomiting and had done so 5 times in an hour. We took him back to the vet and they planned to get him pumped with fluids and rehydrate him so they could figure out what was wrong. My husband and I both went to work and two hours later received a call that we needed to come to the vet immediately. Champ was on a ventilator and hadn’t breathed on his own in 40 minutes when we arrived. They told us they thought he had a leaky bowel and when they put the IV in, the fluid went to his brain and he became unresponsive.

I have lost a lot in my life but this has been absolutely crushing. We only got 5 weeks with him. It feels like I haven’t stopped crying since we lost him on 9/11. Everything reminds me of him and all the plans we had for him. I feel like I’ll never love another dog the way I loved Champ. I feel so sad that his life was so short.

We love you Champ. You’ll always be our baby.

Thanks for listening.
Quote 0 0
Millie18
I'm so very sorry for this sudden and unexpected loss. What a handsome boy! Just beautiful.

I know words don't help much right now while everything feels so raw, but just the fact that he passed away in a home where he was loved instead of passing in a shelter will hopefully bring you some comfort. You provided him with a loving home and everyone tried their best to find out what was wrong. His passing on 9/11 is quite telling as well. He's left you, but you will always remember your boy.

I had rescued a dog from the shelter who was on death row and he was only with me for 10 months before he had some type of brain aneurysm and needed to be put down immediately at home. I took comfort in the fact that he passed away knowing he was out of the shelter for good and that during his last months he was loved until the very end.

I'm pretty sure that your Champ passed away grateful to you for that short time he had been with you.

Sending you peace
Diana

Mom to Millie, Roman, Snoopy & step sister to O'Boy
Quote 0 0
aconner24
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for your kind words. I will hold onto them!
Quote 0 0
Millie18
Thank you. He passed 6 years ago and I know he's in a good place. I lost my other dog to lymphoma exactly 2 months ago today, which is what got me onto this website  looking for comfort.

Come to the site and express your feelings or just come and read posts if you're having a bad day 💗
Diana

Mom to Millie, Roman, Snoopy & step sister to O'Boy
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Alex,
I LOVE the picture with the bowtie!! ❤❤ I am so sorry for your loss, especially that you only got to have Champ for 5 weeks. 💔 Thank you for getting him out of the shelter and giving him those amazing weeks!!
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
Oh dear. This story just breaks my heart. It truly feel for you during your time of mourning. What a beauty Champ was. May he rest in peace.
Quote 0 0
aconner24
I want to say thank you to everyone for your kind words and I am deeply sorry for your losses as well. It’s very hard, especially to be at home without your furry friend greeting you. One step at a time, one day at a time.
Quote 0 0