grn2806
Last weekend I was taking my granddaughter home and there was a stray dog crossing the busy road we were on. On my way back about 15 minutes later I saw him again crossing traffic. I got about a mile down the road and decided to go back to see if I could catch him or find a phone number tag to call the owner. I could not find him again. I drove around a few times in the area but he had made his way somewhere else. This weekend I was taking her home again and about 4 or 5 miles from where I saw him last week he was dead on the side of the road, he had been hit. I feel so bad and quilty for not looking harder for him. I guess I thought he had probably made his way back home. I feel grief like I just lost my own dog. I have never felt this bad over seeing a dog that had been hit. I guess since I saw him the week before alive and tried to help makes me feel like I failed. These feelings are aweful and I feel so bad for that poor dog. I wish people would take better care of their pets.
Quote 0 0
Sil
Poor doggie.  Maybe he was a stray maybe he was someone's pet.  Whenever I see a dog on the streets, I reminded, when one of my dogs got out thru a gate that was not securely locked.  For a whole week he was lost, we posted flyers with his pictures offering a reward....but, we still kept looking for him.  We both took a week off from work...after a week, we found him....such a blessing and huge relief.

I know you are feeling awful, you tried to do something, …...But what happened is not your fault.  
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Hearing how upset you are by what happened shows that you are a compassionate person. Whoever abandoned this dog is the person who should be feeling bad. I would hope that perhaps he got lost but there again someone should have been looking for him. I'm sorry for your pain. When we love animals we can empathize so much with what they are going through. This was not your fault but was very sad. Wishing you peace,
Sam
Quote 0 0
grn2806
Thank You Sil and Sam for the kind words! I have thought about that poor dog all week and wish I could go back to that day and help him. Next time I see a lost or stray dog wandering I will make sure I stop at that moment to help. There were a lot of houses around where I saw him so I thought he was probably close to home, I know now that was not the case. I guess we would all do a lot of things different in life if we could hit the rewind button. 

Quote 0 0