Golddog11
We lost our 8 year old Golden Retriever, Max, back on March 25th. His loss was very unexpected and way to early. Of course the days and week right after we're very difficult, but I thought it was doing better. We got a sympathy card from our vet about 2 weeks ago and the sad feelings just came flooding back. Now it seems that the smallest thing makes me think of him and then the tears start. Today we went to a dog event and watching all the dogs just made me so sad. I started crying at the event and probably looked like a crazy person. Has anyone else experienced grief like this and when is this going to get better???

Thanks for reading!!!!!
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I'm sorry for your loss....8 is too youmg to lose them. Extra hard for you.  I lost Eddie 3/9 and Henry 3/31 and like you, lately it seems I've taken a few steps backwards in this healing process.  I guess we just have to take it one day at a time.  Again, so sorry for your loss.
Sue E
Quote 0 0
Ell99
So sorry for both of your losses. I am also grieving for me it has only been 3 weeks. I guess all we can do is take day at a time.this feeling is horrible . Thinking of you both . Take comfort that your feelings are normal xxx
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Golddog11
I am so so sorry for your loss of Max.  I agree with Eddiesmom - 8 is far far too young.  We are never ever prepared for this - with warnings or without - it is never ever what we think is going to happen.  What a beautiful face - and such a happy pup in your picture.  I too lost one of my girls in March [the 10th who was 'only 10'] and it is going just as tough as the first few days.  Yes, the slightest thing makes the tears flow - and, sometimes there is even no slightest thing . . Grief hits in waves - trying to work through this is like being on a continuous roller coaster.  Beloved companions are truly that - and making our hearts come to terms with what our heads realize is not a quick journey.  Eddiesmom is so right - one hour at a time, and one day at a time.  Now, I think its ok to look like a "crazy person" to others because I was 'crazy' over my girl anyway!  You have come to the right place for understanding and support - everyone here is so kind and compassionate and is going through the same journey as you.  Someone reminded me today that grief "takes as long as it takes" - and those that don't get it, never will.  I like to think that Max is never far from you even now . . .
Quote 0 0
SquirrelCatcher
I tear up all over the house. I remember how my dog used to follow me everywhere. I also experience it at work. Every so often I have to go to my car and shed a tear. I used to bring her to work sometimes and just about everyone at work knows her so I constantly get mails asking how she is. The only person at work that knows is a fellow coworker and I only told her about my pup because she just lost her furbaby after 15 years and she is going thru the same thing I am. We nod to each other and try and give each other hope every time we pass in the hallway but no one else knows the secret the two of us have. I think finding someone that is going thru this or has gone thru this is helpful. It lets you know you are not alone, or crazy for feeling the way you do. It does not make the pain any less or make it go away, it just lets you know you are not alone. Eddiesmom, I guess this process is like a roller coaster. At times I feel like I have cried so much I can't cry anymore. I think it is getting better and then I move the couch to vacuum and find a sock and I am back to crying. 
Quote 0 0