BorderCollieLover Show full post »
BorderCollieLover
Michele:

The memorial stone that you made for Onyx is fantastic. You did a great job. Where do you have it displayed? 

Warmest regards,
Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
chilover
JIM

The pendant is lovely.  The writing is nice. Seeing the name 'Daisy'  on my pendant comforts me a little. It feels like a little light somehow... Seeing their name alone can even draw a smile, that's how very special they were/are to us.

MICHELLE 

That is a lovely memorial stone & quite unique! I totally get it, even that split second of feeling that warmth in our hearts as if they are near can be so comforting. The things that we get comfort from can help us get through the tougher days. Our furbabies touch us so deeply. It makes me smile to think of your cat getting excited when you speak in  your singing voice. I can picture him coming to you all happy...

LINDA.

I will try to send a picture soon.

ELLEN

That sound like a lovely idea too. Your furbaby Monty  'close to your heart'.

Hugs & warm wishes 

Angelina 
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
Jim - I have the stone outside under a tree near the house. I do like mine but I would do it different if I made one again. I would not put as many small stones in it and a few other small changes. It is hard to know how it will look when done. You can make it any way you like. I was trying to place things before the cement dried not knowing I had plenty of time before it dried. But I am pretty sure Onyx would say it looks great and don't worry about it Mom.

Michele
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
Angelina

His near my heart but he is with no matter where I go.

Ellen
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Hello All:

Today July 31st is Puma's birthday. Although she's been gone for many years, the feelings that I still have for her are very much alive. I'll be seeing her once again soon when I visit her, Molly & Shelby at AG. I have some ideas on the floral arrangement that I'll be taking which may include some cut gladiolus. Puma was an incredible Border Collie. I can still see her swimming at the Delaware Water Gap. She took to the water like Shelby took to the frisbee. She would do her little doggie paddle and swim over and greet all the other (human) swimmers. She so fluid and graceful in the water. It was like poetry in motion. I remember one time when we were returning from the DWG, I stopped to buy some ice cream at a little road side stand. I put my cup of vanilla ice cream on the console between the front seats, not thinking that it would be disturbed. I was wrong. My attention was diverted momentarily as I adjusted my side mirror. I heard a slurping sound and looked over to see Puma taking a big chunk of my ice cream. I yelled over to her, "Puma, get out of there, that's my ice cream ! "  Too late. She already consumed most of the cup with two large bites. It happened so quickly. She had a very self-satisfied look on her face as if to say, "Sorry, Dad, if you were dumb enough to leave your ice cream within my reach - I'm gonna' eat it."  Her tongue kept popping out of her mouth to get every last bit that had settled on her face. I had treats for her but that wasn't the issue now. She didn't want them - especially after eating most of my ice cream. I could never stay mad at her for long. She was too lovable. Puma was my little baby. I will always miss her.

Fondly,
Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Jim, oh what a lovely story of Puma.  Lol I can picture that happening.  Yes no matter how long they have been gone...... I still remember the birthdays of past pets.  Gladiolus are lovely flowers.

~~~~Happy Birthday Puma!! ~~~~~
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
chilover
Jim

What lovely memories of your beloved Puma. I smiled reading the 'ice cream' incident. Daisy started to lick someone's ice cream once, & just like Puma, she loved it!! The way in which you described the situation reminded me of Daisy's tea incident when she stuck her nose in my cup and started lapping it up. I can just picture Puma licking her lips thinking 'wow this stuff is amazing

I agree with Linds. Gladiolus are lovely flowers!

Happy birthday Puma.

Angelina 
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Linda & Angelina:

Thanks for the Puma birthday wishes. I really appreciate that. I'm sure that Lily, Ginger and Daisy got into things that they shouldn't have at one time or another. I can just see Daisy sopping up your tea and loving every minute of it. These are precious, if not downright funny moments that endear our furry friends to us even more. That's why we love them so much.

Fondly,
Jim
Puma on Couch Downsized Photo.jpg 
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Jim, that a nice photo of Puma.  Yes there was a time, when my husband had a cup of hot cocoa. He got up for a second, she maybe took one slurp, there was dribble on the table. Lol I think she tried my tea a few times as well. 😁
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
Happy Birthday to Puma! What memories. She sounds like she was fun. Cute picture of her. How old was she in the picture?

Onyx loved ice cream! I would order a small cup just for her.

Michele
Quote 0 0
Gucci
Hello everyone - I hope August has started off well for you all; it's hard to believe how quickly the summer is whirring by!  

Jim -  Puma's birthday on 31 July, and Shelby's upcoming birthday on 13 Aug...I have no doubt all those special dates elicit so many rich memories and emotions! I like the pendant you got, as well. I still have Sammi's small round ID tag, and have been thinking I'd like to add it to one of my favourite charm bracelets. It's very comforting to have a symbol of a loved one on your person; I look at his photo and tag every day, and now I'll never NOT miss his presence. 
I'm so happy for you that Wrigley and Tazor are back in the neighbourhood! They're such handsome lads, and the fact that they knew Shelby makes their company special indeed. I find animals so varied in terms of their interest in toys or specific activities. Like Molly, one of my previous cats (Argus) was an unapologetic couch potato. He loved to lounge indolently about, watching everything going on around him, and happy to be part of the scenery. He also had a supremely laid-back vibe, and everyone who met him was unfailingly struck by his beautiful golden amber eyes and his self-possession. None of my cats was particularly interested in toys per se, although they generally enjoyed the wand toys that relied on the human to fully participate. :)

Linda - It's nice that you were able to walk the little dog, and what an experience for you to have heard 'Lilly Was Here' on the radio! 

Michele - Onyx's memorial stone is lovely. I had no idea there were kits for that, and will look into it.

Angelina - did you end up getting a Daisy tattoo after all? I'd long accepted long ago that most people will never understand the depth of our attachment to our animal companions. What an astonishing question ('Are you over it now?')!! 

Laurence - I know it must be so hard not to have your Charly with you; it hasn't been very long for you to adjust to life without him, and there are constant reminders of that loss. This forum is where you'll always find steadfast support and understanding. 

Steve - Your beloved Ruffles will be grieved by you in your own unique way. No one can determine what will feel right for you, so if you find something at AG that can accommodate your desire to commemorate Ruffles' memory, I think that's a wonderful idea. This coming October will be a year since I lost my special boy, Sammi, and I know it's going to be a tough milestone to get through. I don't talk about him to many people at all; past a certain point grief is quite a private experience, especially when you know the people you're dealing with are not as attuned to animals. Thank goodness we can find like-minded people with whom we can share our deepest sentiments about our beloved companions. It's a true source of comfort. 

Otherwise, this past July was one of the hottest on record where I live. I'm not a fan of such humid temperatures (40 degrees + on several occasions), but we're at least able to go to malls and other public buildings for some relief from the heat. Businesses are increasingly opening up, and while there's no question vigilance is still required, it's been so nice to be able to mingle with other people in public. Several areas have also shut down certain streets on the weekends, so you can see people walking about and dining on the sidewalks. It's nowhere near what it used to be, of course, but it's still nice to see communal activities!

I hope things are reasonable for you all; it's truly a blessing to have this little community for mutual support and strength. Take good care of yourselves, and I send you warm and peaceful thoughts. :)

Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Linda:

Great story on how your baby took a slurp of your husband's hot cocoa. You didn't mention which one - Ginger or Lily? Yes, dogs love people food - especially if it is something sweet (ice cream, cake, pie, etc.). 

Michele:

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Michele:

Puma was either (10) or (11) in that photo. I actually didn't do the birthday cake thing with Puma or Molly. That tradition started with Shelby. I was fortunate enough to help her celebrate all (18) of her birthdays. I bet Onyx loved ice cream. I have never met a dog that didn't go crazy over the  sweet stuff.

Gucci:

I always look forward to your posts. Yes, August 13th is going to be a tough day. I will be taking off work and traveling up to AG to see my little girls. I plan on bringing flowers and arranging them around her marker. I'm glad that you have a Sammi's small, round ID tag. It's not the big, expensive gifts that show our love for our pets but rather small mementos that really reinforce how much we really care about them. 
Today is Angelina's 1st anniversary of losing her beloved Daisy. She posted a brief story on how her day went. You may want to check it out on her own personal thread. It is really special.

Fondly,
Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
stevenkep
Hi Gucci,

Thank you for your mentioning my Ruffles in your post and for your warm welcome to me.  I am getting closer to making a decision about a lasting tribute to her memory and will shortly be making a fact-finding trip to Abbey Glen, not just driving past there as I do sometimes.

I am sorry about the approaching one-year anniversary of the loss of your precious Sammi.  Every Sunday, I find myself re-living the events of the tragic last night that we had in the company of our poor little baby.  It was 25 weeks ago yesterday, and I just realized that the August calendar is the same for February's (allowing for two fewer days in February).  So next Sunday, August 9th, will be six months to the day that we last breathed the same air as our Ruffles.  So my sympathies are with you, Gucci, as the one-year anniversary for your Sammi draws nearer.

I completely agree that this forum is a great source of comfort and a blessing.  I don't see how I could have gotten to this point without it.

Sincerely,

Steve
Quote 0 0
stevenkep
Hi Jim,

Happy belated birthday for your girl Puma, I understand that her birthday was July 31st.  That is a beautiful picture of her and I enjoyed reading the story about your trip to the Delaware Water Gap recreational area with her.  Your story reminds me of a place that I remember from my youth known as Johnny's Hot Dog stand.  It was situated near the Pennsylvania border on the eastbound side of Route 46 if memory serves, which used to be the only major highway linking northwestern NJ with PA back in the day.  That was before construction was completed on I-80, which was not until the mid-Seventies, I believe.  It was one of those landmarks that I used to look forward to seeing on our trips out to central PA, which is where I attended college.

Thank you, too, Jim, for sharing that beautiful pendant of your Shelby.  We did have a simple heart pendant, pink in color, for Ruffles, which we used as an identification tag with her name and home phone number.  It's funny, but I keep her rabbies vaccination and township registration tags in plain view, but recently remembered her heart pendant.  When I asked my wife about it, she reminded me that our daughter has it along with her other mementoes of Ruffy.  So why not a pendant with her name on the one side and her portrait on the other?  It's certainly given me an idea!

I see from your most recent post that you are planning a trip to AG on the 13th to visit with your beloveds.  I will pick a day that will be centered around making a pilgrimage there so that I can learn about all the possibilities.  How nice it would be to have a place to go to where there is natural beauty and serenity all around, and just spend some time talking to her in an appropriate setting.  And to have something to look forward, like the flower arranging that you mentioned.  It occurred to me that maybe I can go there on the 13th since I don't have any other plans for that day at the moment, and then maybe we could meet up.  But, then, we have to be mindful of social distancing and all that.  For the moment, I'll leave that as an option and if it happens, it happens.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the day today, Jim.  Heavy rain is forecast for tomorrow.

All the best,

Steve
Quote 0 0