BorderCollieLover Show full post »
BoxerMomForever
Thanks Jim. I like to check that too.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Jim, I feel for you about the loss of Wrigley and Tazor too.
Apart from them being a connection with Shelby, they were also your friends.
I felt a similar loss when Jet passed, and though it was a different circumstance, when the woman came back for the little cat I looked after for so long. I missed her daily company very much. The only consolation with the cat, is that I know she is happy now in her new home, and it is a good place to spend her old-age years.

But we do still very much miss our friends when they have to move on.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Linda:

Should be an interesting docu-series. Starts Feb. 3rd and runs for about (10) days. Make sure that you sign up early. 

Mistysmama:

Thanks for your kind words about Wrigley & Tazor. I bet that you were sad when Jet passed. Based on what I saw of Jet and Misty in those pictures that you posted, they were good buddies. Shelby knew Wrigley and Tazor well. She used to go over to our fence and growl at them (and show her teeth). Shelby was still a warrior and fighter as an older dog. 
I wanted to mention that I was watching A Movie Trailer on You Tube recently. The movie was called Babe. 
You know the one about the talking pig who befriended a bunch of Border Collies. The reason that I'm mentioning this is that the one Border Collie (Nell, I think) reminds me so much of Shelby. Tears were rolling down my face while watching that. Yeah, I know Babe is a kid's movie and pure fantasy but I wanted to watch it just to see the Border Collies. I got hooked on BC's at an early age and just love the breed to pieces.

Sending warmest regards and positive thoughts your way,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Gucci
Jim - Yes, Temple Grandin is a remarkable person. I read her autobiography ages ago as well, and besides the great fortune of having a mother who made sure her daughter learned the necessary social skills to survive and thrive, animals were a constant presence in TG's life as well.

I've no doubt you were greatly moved by the Babe movie. It's astonishing how many movies, cultural references, and ads have animals front and centre. At the same time, the concept of deeply grieving the loss of an animal companion is marginalised within the mainstream. For me, the litmus test of anyone's character was the way they treated animals - lacking a fundamental respect for animals of all species was a glaring red flag.

True companionship is grossly overlooked as a critical aspect of existence. It's so easy to chase all the superficially glittering ambitions in life - scintillating careers/wealth, social stimulation/status, exciting yet ephemeral relationships. Simple, authentic companionship (be that with animals or humans) is a priceless gift; when it's gone you realise how impoverished most other material benefits are.

Looking forward to the documentary in Feb. Thanks again for the info.

Warmest regards for everyone at the start of a fresh week.

Quote 0 0
Marlene8817
Hi Everyone, thank you for all your kind words, I really feel you all really understand what I'm feeling each and every day.  I had a horrible dream about Molly the other night and I woke up feeling terrible.  Thanks Jim for the docu-series info I will definitely check it out.  I'm really trying with my self care, but anything else that can possibly help is most welcome!  Babe was such a great movie, I wanted a pet pig forever! I'm sure it really moved you seeing all the Border Collies running around, the emotional triggers are never ending.  

Hugs to everyone, I hope you have a good week ahead...

Marlene
Marlene Weber
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Marlene:

Glad that you're okay. Yes, that movie Babe is a fantasy but I just love the Border Collies. I hope that you will be checking in on that docu-series starting Feb. 3rd. Let me know if you need any additional info to sign up. I'm going back up to visit Shelby on the 25th of January. I wanted to go up this weekend (the 18th) but have too much going on and can't sneak away. I really miss her so much. Such a big part of my life. She's in my thoughts and prayers each day. People are still asking me if I'm ready for another dog. No, I'm not ready. Shelby was a once-in-a-lifetime dog and I still need to embrace that - however long that takes.

Fondly,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Marlene8817
Hi Jim, I feel the same way, I'm just not ready for a new dog..I held her collar today and just broke down, it felt like a stab in the heart..I miss her so much, it still really hurts each and every day.  She was also a once-in-a-lifetime dog.  Yes, however long it takes, maybe I'll never be ready.  I've really gotten into exercising lately to fill my time, which has been really helpful for me.  Oh after watching Babe, I didn't eat any pork for 2 years!  "That'l do pig, that'l do..."
Marlene Weber
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
Marlene - I sometimes pick up and hold Onyx's collar. It has no smell of her for some reason. She never smelled at all but there is nothing. Sometimes I shake it around so the tag makes a noise. It sounds like her when she would get up and shake her body.

Jim - I emailed about the series and did not hear back. I don't see anything about it on their web site.

Michele
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Michele:

Try this link from Johnathan Otto's Facebook page:  depressionanxietyseries.com 
I tried it and it worked for me. Scroll to the bottom of the page and they will ask for your: 1st name and a valid e-mail address. Just enter those and it should register you for the series. I didn't realize it at the time but this series actually debuted back in 2019. This is a 2nd showing beginning Feb. 3rd. I missed it last year, so I want to check it out now. 

Let me know if this works for you. Not sure why they didn't respond to you. 

Fondly,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Marlene:

Just checking in with you. How are you? Let us know what's going on in your life. 

Fondly,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
Jim - I was able to sign up on his web site that you gave some how.

I really miss Onyx today. I listened to a song that I discovered in 2018. I remember playing it while she was here and on our way to the park. I really like it but when I heard it today it just made me so sad remembering how it was so nice to listen to it when she was here. I don't think I can listen again for a while. There was such a happiness before that is no longer.

Michele

Quote 0 0
Marlene8817
Hi Jim, thank you for checking in! I felt pretty good today actually 😉  The last few weeks were hard dealing with meds, but my head is starting to clear finally and I don't feel as depressed.  I hope it lasts.  I have been getting out a little with family and friends and exercising, and not feeling so forced to do so.  I know everything is stemming from loosing Molly, it just broke me, I miss her so much, but I know I need to move forward.  She would not want me to be so sad all the time, she knows I did everything possible to keep her here, but it was time.  Now it's time for me to feel blessed I had such a perfect little being for 13 years who brought me such joy and laughter and not be so sad she is not here anymore.  She lived her beautiful life with me and I'm so grateful we found each other, she taught me the true meaning of selfless love.  How are you doing Jim?  I know you were going to Shelby's grave, I'm not sure if it was this weekend?

I'm so sorry Michele you had a bad day, I know these little triggers can really set us off..I hope one day you can listen to that song and not be sad...time, that's all it is...

How is everyone else doing?

Love and hugs!
Marlene
Marlene Weber
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Michele:

Glad that you were able to sign up. It starts Feb. 3rd. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Marlene:

Good to hear that you are doing much better. You mentioned that you are getting out with family & friends and exercising more these days. Keep it up. You're going to be okay. Yes, I am going to visit Shelby this Saturday (Jan. 25th). It's very special to me. I cry and feel saddened by us not being together now but I try and focus on all the wonderful times we had together. One time in particular that I wanted to share with you. This happened circa 2006. Shelby was around (5) at the time and had boundless energy. We were visiting a friend's house. This person had a small Schanuzer by the name of Otto. They had never met before, so I suggested that, maybe, Shelby and Otto could take a walk together and see if there was a chance that a friendship might develop. Walks are always good ice-breakers whether it's a human or canine. Otto's owner agreed. We were barely out the door when Otto (Male) came over and starting sniffing Shelby from head to toe. Shelby always took exception to any dog giving her the once-over. She absolutely hated it. Shelby let out a slow, prolonged growl as Otto inspected her. I steadied Shelby and told her, "It's okay, baby. He's just getting to know you." Otto stuck his head under her tail which prompted Shelby to turn and nip at Otto. The sudden, unexpected show of aggression immediately backed him off. I was sure that we had the situation under control and could start our walk - now that the formalities and awkward introductions were out of the way. Boy, was I wrong. Otto now did the unthinkable. As we were starting to walk, Otto took a step back and, using his head as a battering ram,  came charging towards Shelby full force. He made a direct hit on her side (right into the ribs). The look on Shelby's face frightened even me. Her mouth was wide open and baring all her teeth. She looked like a wolf getting ready to pounce on a helpless victim. Shelby was now growling and getting ready to strike.  I had to hold her off with my left hand and protect Otto with my right. I had never seen Shelby so enraged before. There was  foam coming out of her mouth and she made an attempt to bite Otto. I had to put her into a full bear hug until she calmed down (which took about 5 minutes or so). I'm still not sure why Otto tried to ram into her. Thankfully, I finally restored peace between the two. Suffice it to say, Shelby and Otto never became friends. My little girl, ever the warrior. 

Fondly,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
I'm just checking in with everyone: Marie, Marlene, Mistysmama, Michele, Gucci, Linda - How's everyone doing?  I'm still missing my little girl. Nothing new in that respect. 

Warmest regards,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0